Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Came in contact for over 1 year with buddhism. Which steps to take?

Hello, first of all thanks for reading this, and I am quite sorry if these questions get asked all the time. But I hope some of you can still help me, first I will introduce myself.

I am named Mark 22 years old and from the Netherlands I got artritis at a young age and later I got a psychological problem in de form of a personality disorder. In my depression and bad times I found yoga, from yoga I came to buddhism. My issue however is I am handicapped in my joints due to arthritis and I have a personality disorder. This means it is quite hard to travel and even holding a job or going to study is hard. Money, I do not have much of it.

So when I see people saying you need a buddhist master or a guru to use a mala and meditate and all that. I am not in a position to do so, but I do want to meditate and want to get the positive things of buddhism. I am not really fit to become a monk as with my artritis I cannot do a lot of work, to much hurting.

Also I did say I am from the Netherlands, and there is one temple but that is not a temple I can go to everyday or once every time, even though the Netherlands is small, it does cost a lot money to go there and is quite far I live in the south and money is a problem. There was a place where I did zen meditation, I just didn't feel like I was ready for zen, zen is to hard for me to do yet. I also got a problem called a slow thyroid, which does not make it easier I cannot do yoga like I would like to for example.

So I am really wondering where I go or where I should go what I should do... I feel lost in this world full with guru's, titles etc. I am very lost and not sure which steps to take in my spiritual life, I am looking for guidance and had hoped to find some here.

I thank you all for reading this and I sincerly thank you even if you want to help me with advice but do not know what to say yourself. So thanks a lot and warm greetings from me!

Also sorry English is not my mother tongue!

Comments

• but I do want to meditate and want to get the positive things of buddhism.

Hi welcome <3
    Good start. Can you walk OK? If so walking meditation is a great start. Prostrations would also help with your physical issues.

You might also consider doing a Medicine Buddha sadhana.
    http://www.worldwidehealingcircle.net/medicine_buddha_mantra.htm

It does not really matter where you start. The important thing is a regular, determined practice that you can realistically adhere to.

If you want to do seated meditation, can you sit in a chair without discomfort?

I wish you every success. B)

RhodianNerimaJeffreyBuddhadragon
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2014

I have practised Buddhism for over 20 years. I have never had a Master.

Now - whether one can evaluate someone's dedication to their calling, according to whether they have a Master or not, I don't know. But even though my 'progress' may not be as advanced as that of others, frankly, I'm ok with things as they are at the moment, and I have no plans to change anything.

Welcome to the forum. Plenty of Masters here too... because at one point or another, even though we are all pupils, we are also Masters.
    in other words, feel free to stick around - you're bound to learn something good, sooner or later! :wink:

RhodianNerimaJeffreyBuddhadragon
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

To the OP -- read books, forums, etc.

silver
  • RhodianRhodian Loser Veteran

@lobster said:
    I wish you every success. B)

Thanks a lot, I have problems walking for long times. I get a lot of pain, I can sit in a chair! I now use a small table that one uses next to they're bed, I put a cushion on that that I use for yoga, and I then meditate with a mala or I do pranayama which is yoga related.

I do thank you for your advice.

@federica said:
    I have practised Buddhism for over 20 years. I have never had a Master.

Now - whether one can evaluate someone's dedication to their calling, according to whether they have a Master or not, I don't know. But even though my 'progress' may not be as advanced as that of others, frankly, I'm ok with things as they are at the moment, and I have no plans to change anything.

Welcome to the forum. Plenty of Masters here too... because at one point or another, even though we are all pupils, we are also Masters.
    in other words, feel free to stick around - you're bound to learn something good, sooner or later! :wink:

I do not really feel like I should want to be a monk. I am not fit to do so I think I have many weaknesses. But I am a solitary person, and I do not like materialism etc. Thus buddhism speaks to me a lot. But I keep reading on forums you need a master etc, to which I wonder if all masters really all had the same master if you track the lineage back. All I can say is that I was reading this, and I felt like using a mala to help in meditation is a major sin so to speak.

silver

@vinlyn said:
    To the OP -- read books, forums, etc.

Actually would you have a nice reccomendation perhaps?

• Welcome. There's a lot of good and bad resources on the Internet. Pick carefully. When in doubt, ask here. Lots of people in this forum are resourceful and will answer your questions.
    I like what @federica‌ said, that she's been practicing buddhism for a long time and has yet had a Master. I've embraced Buddhism just a year ago. Will probably never meet a Master but I've surrounded myself (both virtual and face-to-face) with like-minded people. This keeps me going.

RhodianVastmind
  • @Rhodian said:

Thanks a lot, I have problems walking for long times. I get a lot of pain, I can sit in a chair! I now use a small table that one uses next to they're bed, I put a cushion on that that I use for yoga, and I then meditate with a mala or I do pranayama which is yoga related.

Got it. Sounds great.
    What does meditate with a mala entail? Japa yoga, mantra? As you are doing pranayama you might be interested in 'breath attention'. This is one of the simplest Buddhist meditations and can be done on a table or chair. With a cushion under the buttocks or behind the small of the back or both
    http://mayallbehappy.org/meditation-postures/

Breath attention
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anapanasati

edited December 2014

I found a simple youtube video, in which someone says you just go to your mala, feel the beads and make a 'Om' sound. I tried doing breath atention meditation like in Zen, but it is very hard. I notice when I am making a sound like Om that is a great help to not be thinking, when I am just in my mind I am going to think. This has been a huge problem I kept facing, doing zen for 30 minutes and still not doing it properly because I feel like I was in my mind all along.

And with the mala I can make a round, and then just be done. No worries about time etc it was and is a nice way for me to try and get more comfortable with meditation. As it is something that I noticed works well for me. As for sitting that is all good I sit in the way as they learned me zen, I used to do zen in a chair.

@vinlyn said:

Great post, thanks a lot for explaining yourself and what you said makes senseI since I read a lot of philosophy and also there you got all kinds of school and beliefs. I do thank you and will I guess see if I can find a nice entry point book or read some articles on wiki.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@Rhodian says:But I am a solitary person, and I do not like materialism etc. Thus Buddhism speaks to me a lot. But I keep reading on forums you need a master etc, to which I wonder if all masters really all had the same master if you track the lineage back. All I can say is that I was reading this, and I felt like using a mala to help in meditation is a major sin so to speak.

>

Hi Rhodian.....Buddhism speaks to me a lot, too and am very new at learning about him and his teachings. I've been mentioning a book called 'Old Path White Clouds' written by Hanh, the Vietnamese (very famous) monk and I am in love with this book that tells the tales of the Buddha's life and it has helped teach me a lot.

All spiritual and Buddhist type forums will have individuals say that you need a master or teacher or sangha, but I don't believe it for one minute. I like what @Federica said about that, also. All those people saying you need a master did need one themselves, but that doesn't mean everyone does. Your sincerity is your best teacher, in a sense.

I have no idea what a mala is!
    :)

Rhodian
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited December 2014

as far as i now this forum is the best

i have got immense support in my practice of Buddha's Teaching from the members of this forum

such supports are very valuable and fruitful in my Practice

apart from that you can visit

www.visuddhimagga.info

go to ;
    meditation in english stream

then
    go to last six talks starting from: Noble Eightfold path meditation, meditation retreat Sydney part 1, part 2 etc.

listen to part 1, if you do not understanding at fist time, listen again

do not hurry to go to part 2, at least you get some understand of part 1

RhodianHamsakaBuddhadragon
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@silver said:
    I have no idea what a mala is!

Here:

silver
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Thanks @Chaz......is it the same as prayer beads?

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

yep

• In my opinion to become enlightened you do need a master. Buddha did not but he was a special person.

But you have many life times! A master can come down the road in another lifetime. So you can do whatever you fancy to prepare. For example you can meditate on the breath. You can do that lying down if you can manage to stay awake!

@Jeffrey said:
    In my opinion to become enlightened you do need a master. Buddha did not but he was a special person.

But you have many life times! A master can come down the road in another lifetime. So you can do whatever you fancy to prepare. For example you can meditate on the breath. You can do that lying down if you can manage to stay awake!

>

I tend to want to jump up and down on those who say others need a teacher/master/guru, heh...Just kidding, of course.......;-)

I've done short meditations lying down and have never fallen asleep, so I think it's a great idea and it's certainly worth a try.

@Jeffrey said:
    In my opinion to become enlightened you do need a master. Buddha did not but he was a special person.

My friend, I would not want to become enlightened. I would like to do good and be positive, and reach to a point where I can lead a simplified life in which I can accept things. For me becomming enlightened has never been my goal for I would ruin meditation itself if that was my goal, wouldn't I?

@silver said:

Thanks I have looked up the book, and might order it as it looks like a nice start.
    So thanks a lot again.

@upekka said:

i have got immense support in my practice of Buddha's Teaching from the members of this forum

www.visuddhimagga.info

go to ;

then
    go to last six talks starting from: Noble Eightfold path meditation, meditation retreat Sydney part 1, part 2 etc.

@upekka said:

www.visuddhimagga.info

go to ;

then

Also thanks to you I will try my best to look at those links and go trough them, it is late now so I will go to bed in a bit, but I am very thankful, thanks!

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@Rhodian

I think that for you, like it is with all of us, it comes down to how much you can apply yourself to your practice right now.

Those endless things that drag us off away from our awareness of our practice within each moment are just descriptions of phenomena that we are currently valuing more than our practice.

Schools, monasteries, teachers, teachings, sanghas, classes & retreats are just aids to encourage you to put more emphasis on your practice than whatever else currently competes for that attention.

Whether practicing on your own or with others,
    a practice is not advanced so much by either of these states as it is by your willingness to sincerely practice where ever you now are.

A sitting practice with a study of the four noble truths and the eightfold path (as others have suggested) should provide you with a good stable platform for a practice.

lobsterRhodian
  • @Rhodian, well I think that you can become enlightened but what you say sounds wonderful. Sounds like the path to me to accept things and to simplify. I don't see how it ruins meditation to think about enlightenment? Regardless of what one is thinking they can always sit down and notice awareness.

• @silver it is someone of a leap to believe one needs a teacher. Maybe it is not true, but it is in the Jewel Ornament of Liberation that one needs a teacher to show the method of the dharma. For me it is not a greater leap than the belief in enlightenment. If I can believe in enlightenment then I can believe in a method and a teacher, right?

@Jeffrey said:
    Rhodian, well I think that you can become enlightened but what you say sounds wonderful. Sounds like the path to me to accept things and to simplify. I don't see how it ruins meditation to think about enlightenment? Regardless of what one is thinking they can always sit down and notice awareness.

I have done some zen meditation and they say that when you sit you become Buddha. They also told me, you do zen for no purpose at all, if you would give it a purpose your involving your ego. It did sound a bit hard to grasp but I think in the end I did understand it. But then again I guess this is running down in the wall that someone else in this topic said, many people from different schools. And I wonder if there's so many different schools, that means multiple masters all in different disciplines, surely they all found another path, then why would I be limited? And does Buddha aprove of all these new paths? We will never know? Would Buddha like or dislike zen for example?

@how said:
    Rhodian

I think that for you, like it is with all of us, it comes down to how much you can apply yourself to your practice right now.

Those endless things that drag us off away from our awareness of our practice within each moment are just descriptions of phenomena that we are currently valuing more than our practice.

Schools, monasteries, teachers, teachings, sanghas, classes & retreats are just aids to encourage you to put more emphasis on your practice than whatever else currently competes for that attention.

a practice is not advanced so much by either of these states as it is by your willingness to sincerely practice where ever you now are.

A sitting practice with a study of the four noble truths and the eightfold path (as others have suggested) should provide you with a good stable platform for a practice.

@how said:
    Rhodian

Very nice post and thanks a lot this gives me some courage to go on.

@Jeffrey said:
    silver it is someone of a leap to believe one needs a teacher. Maybe it is not true, but it is in the Jewel Ornament of Liberation that one needs a teacher to show the method of the dharma. For me it is not a greater leap than the belief in enlightenment. If I can believe in enlightenment then I can believe in a method and a teacher, right?

>

Hey @Jeffrey, it was just my understanding that @Rhodian may not necessarily want to become 'enlightened', but wanted to simply learn more about Buddhism, and of course move in the general direction of enlightenment, as most do, I should think, anyway.

You're right, " If I can believe in enlightenment then I can believe in a method and a teacher."
    B)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

No.
    One is self-propelled, the other is on hand for support. A teacher is a tangible accessory, whereas Enlightenment is a self-made process.

vinlynSarahT
  • @Rhodian, perhaps you don't 'give' it a purpose rather you just find the purpose that is already there? For example we are sitting down. Is there a purpose? Maybe there is not. In that case we need not make one. As you say meditation is non-doing. Although it is non-doing we still have qualities and contents of awareness. So we can just notice those. We might be meditating to feel better. We might be meditating to find if there is something new to find that we don't know about.

My teacher says that we only try to see if what we are getting right now is our own path. If we think we can learn somewhere else better than with our current teacher then we are free to go. But if we are learning and are satisfied we can stay with the current teacher. It is like you have a water faucet in your home. You could go somewhere else and get water but if you are home and don't want to move then you can just take the water where you are. Again, we have a lot of lifetimes so we don't have to worry so much to understand how there can be multiple schools/teachers. We just need to worry about the teacher that we are with. If we are not with a teacher as I say you can still prepare and there are many practices.

• @federica, I was saying that it is a leap to believe in enlightenment. That leap comes first before the leap of saying to get a teacher. So if you can make the first leap then why not the second?

edited December 2014

@Jeffrey said:
    Rhodian, perhaps you don't 'give' it a purpose rather you just find the purpose that is already there? For example we are sitting down. Is there a purpose? Maybe there is not. In that case we need not make one. As you say meditation is non-doing. Although it is non-doing we still have qualities and contents of awareness. So we can just notice those. We might be meditating to feel better. We might be meditating to find if there is something new to find that we don't know about.

My teacher says that we only try to see if what we are getting right now is our own path. If we think we can learn somewhere else better than with our current teacher then we are free to go. But if we are learning and are satisfied we can stay with the current teacher. It is like you have a water faucet in your home. You could go somewhere else and get water but if you are home and don't want to move then you can just take the water where you are. Again, we have a lot of lifetimes so we don't have to worry so much to understand how there can be multiple schools/teachers. We just need to worry about the teacher that we are with. If we are not with a teacher as I say you can still prepare and there are many practices.

Though these life-times, I might have some but I cannot remember anything out of them. I am interested in making this lifetime as good as I can. You might be on a long run program course, that is fine I respect that. I am trying to make this life as good as I can make it, my next life. Even though it might be me again or my essence, I think that is a person that will start with a blank slate. Something I will figure out then, and something I am not bussy with at all. Though if I think I can learn at home and want to make life as comfortable as possible and can use general buddhism as a means to do that. I will take from buddhism but also give good back, so it's a give and take relationship.

Then I do not think I need a teacher, though indeed in your case if your bussy with the hereafter you might be, but I am 22 and have a vast amount of time left in this life, I'd surely want to make it comfortable here, before I go looking for enlightment and second lifes. So I do thank you for your views, but I guess the means I want to reach are way different than yours.

So I do thank you, but I am afraid your way more ambitious than I am.

@Jeffrey said:
    federica, I was saying that it is a leap to believe in enlightenment. That leap comes first before the leap of saying to get a teacher. So if you can make the first leap then why not the second?

Is a leap not just a leap you can make 10 leaps if you want. I would not call it a leap thoug there's not much to lose if it does not work for you you can quit without having lost to much investment.

@federica said:
    No.
    One is self-propelled, the other is on hand for support. A teacher is a tangible accessory, whereas Enlightenment is a self-made process.

I like this thought. For me it is like this, I want to build a wooden hut to live in, I do not really know how to do it but got a vague idea. Of course a master at making wooden huts could show me, but there is none where I am so people say 'Do not use a saw it's dangerous, here have some twigs and try to make something you can build a hut in your next life. So do not worry.'

Though you want to get your saw at and started working right here and now, you do not want to wait forever. I think that is how I feel if that makes sense. And I do not want my hut to be perfect but I want to be able to start using my saw and start working on it.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

Welcome @Rhodian :)

Have you ever heard of Marsha Linehan PhD?

She is one of the earliest persons to begin using Buddhist principles and practices to treat personality disorder. It turns out she suffers from one too, and has used Buddhist practices such as mindfulness on the symptoms with patients for decades. She's one of those unsung pioneers of the whole mindfulness movement.

There is so much more to Buddhism than mala beads, having a Great Master Teacher, or even getting enlightened :D . There's no 'right' way to begin your journey, meaning you won't one day realize you've been 'doing it wrong' all along and wasting your time or getting into some kind of cosmic trouble :) . Buddhism completely embraces EVERTHING in life, including our worst behaviors.

I think you sound very ready to just begin wherever your heart or imagination lead you. That's how the Buddha began -- he used what was available to him in his day and age. In modern times, we have new and perhaps different 'paths', but they are still proper paths. Hang out here and don't worry too much about asking questions. We'll link you a thread or article.

In my experience, 99.9% of the responses I've gotten to my questions are very carefully and thoughtfully answered. I appreciate the effort people here have gone to, and take their advice or feedback to heart. I try to respond in kind. This place is and can be a 'sangha', or sacred group in Buddhism, as much as a real life group. It's open 24/7, too.

RhodianlobstersilverSarahT

@Hamsaka said:
    Welcome Rhodian :)

Have you ever heard of Marsha Linehan PhD?

She is one of the earliest persons to begin using Buddhist principles and practices to treat personality disorder. It turns out she suffers from one too, and has used Buddhist practices such as mindfulness on the symptoms with patients for decades. She's one of those unsung pioneers of the whole mindfulness movement.

There is so much more to Buddhism than mala beads, having a Great Master Teacher, or even getting enlightened :D . There's no 'right' way to begin your journey, meaning you won't one day realize you've been 'doing it wrong' all along and wasting your time or getting into some kind of cosmic trouble :) . Buddhism completely embraces EVERTHING in life, including our worst behaviors.

I think you sound very ready to just begin wherever your heart or imagination lead you. That's how the Buddha began -- he used what was available to him in his day and age. In modern times, we have new and perhaps different 'paths', but they are still proper paths. Hang out here and don't worry too much about asking questions. We'll link you a thread or article.

In my experience, 99.9% of the responses I've gotten to my questions are very carefully and thoughtfully answered. I appreciate the effort people here have gone to, and take their advice or feedback to heart. I try to respond in kind. This place is and can be a 'sangha', or sacred group in Buddhism, as much as a real life group. It's open 24/7, too.

Dear Hamsaka,

Wow this is a very nice thing to hear. My disorder is quite a though one as there is no treatment that really works, I am a schizoid, this is one that is not so known, there's not even much books on it.

I will check her out and see if I can find some things tomorrow, as I am going to bed right now after I wrote this to you. I am very happy I stayed up a bit to read this though, I do think Buddhism in a way can help me. But I also am happy with your response, I think I should start making my way slowly.

I once bought a book called 'meditatie in alle eenvoud' translated meditation in basic/simple I think the book is this one:
    Mindfulness in Plain English
    by Henepola Gunaratana

I should perhaps pick it up again, as it is on my bookshelf. :) I do thank you a lot for your warm and kindhearted reply and am very happy so thanks!

JeffreyHamsaka
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Hello, @Rhodian!
    Welcome to Buddhism!
    Happy to hear that you are not onboard looking for enlightenment, but to find some inner peace and acceptance instead!
    That's a perfect start: if you keep your goals realistic, you will be more keen to stick to the practice :)

Money and physical fitness are not pre-requisites for the Path.

Meditation is important, but you can try any style and position that works best for you.
    Also study. Read as much as you can.
    And then, the most difficult: put into practice everything you read.
    Buddhadharma is a path of practice, not just theory.

Two books I found extremely useful in the beginning were Walpola Rahula's "What the Buddha taught" and Thich Nhat Nahn's "The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching."
    I found two links to the former (a summary and the whole book) but the link to the latter is very sketchy. Some pages work, some don't.
    You might consider buying these ones, since they are classics and you might find yourself resorting to them often.
    http://www.dhammaweb.net/books/Dr_Walpola_Rahula_What_the_Buddha_Taught.pdf
    http://bs.dila.edu.tw/zh/downloads/download_document.html?gid=4210
    http://soc2011.wikispaces.com/file/view/heartofteachings.pdf

Some useful links to learn about Buddhism, with plenty of e-books and reading material:
    http://viewonbuddhism.org/where_beginner_study_practice_meditation.html
    http://www.buddhanet.net/
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/

Rhodian
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2014

I practice for many other reasons than to become enlightened. Deep down I think I intuit 'enlightenment'. But the reasons I actually practice are: self-discovery, security, and peace. I do think it would rock if I could become enlightened! In the literature I have read it says that you intuit the wish to be free from suffering. But it is a later (in the path) realization to practice to become enlightened and it is known as aspirational bodhicitta.

"Hence, the purpose of the Holy Life does not consist in acquiring alms, honour, or fame, nor in gaining morality, concentration, or the eye of knowledge. That unshakable deliverance of the heart: that, indeed, is the object of the Holy Life, that is its essence, that is its goal."

http://www.budsas.org/ebud/word-of-buddha/wobgrad1.htm

• bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

Read the discourse on not self, and really take the time to contemplate it after reading it to the best of your ability, good luck and take care.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.059.nymo.html

Rhodian
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Hi @Rhodian‌.

Have a look around on the internet and in this forum and find what meditation works for you.

Then arm yourself with patience and persistence because nothing arises quickly in this practice.

Be kind and patient with yourself as it's easy to be judgemental when things don't change quickly when you start meditating. It takes time.

Good luck!

VastmindRhodian

Schizoid is not well known or documented because . . . it's hard to know and hard to document :D . That won't matter though. Linehan's stuff is targeting borderline personality disorder, but the mindfulness techniques apply to anyone who has problems thinking realistically, or has intrusive bad thoughts (ie, everyone). The idea is to realize 'this is not me' when the thoughts and feelings come up. Everyone has these symptoms but some have them to such an extent they are classed as a disorder.

I recommend Bhante G's book that you have. He is brilliant and communicates his teachings so beginners understand.

Rhodian
  • I found a simple youtube video, in which someone says you just go to your mala, feel the beads and make a 'Om' sound.

Ah OK, that is a familiar yogic practice I have done. It is method of developing an attentive mind.

Creating a sacred space or anchor might be useful for you:

I often create a 'cyber shrine' tablet computer or an old lap top and a Buddha images displayed with a slide show program.

Here is my page on mantra
    http://yinyana.tumblr.com/day/2013/08/03

B)

Rhodian
  • I expect cushions at every post @lobster >:)

Bunkssilverlobster
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

There are many teachers who post video talks on youtube as well, and some will interact with people via email and phone so that you can be in touch with a teacher, if you wish, without having to travel. Most teachers are not going to deny you contact because you cannot travel. My teacher is 400 miles away and is out of the country 6 months a year. He still keeps up with students via email, phone and video chat :) And he posts teachings on youtube to keep up with. Many do this.

As for books, Thich Nhat Hanh is always good for people newer to Buddhism. He is a Zen Monk but his books and teachings largely apply to anyone in today's world. Because he is so popular, his books are also available in many languages. He has some great meditations and other small tips that are quite helpful.

Rhodian
    edited December 2014

@DhammaDragon said:
    Hello, Rhodian!
    Welcome to Buddhism!
    Happy to hear that you are not onboard looking for enlightenment, but to find some inner peace and acceptance instead!
    That's a perfect start: if you keep your goals realistic, you will be more keen to stick to the practice :)

Money and physical fitness are not pre-requisites for the Path.

Meditation is important, but you can try any style and position that works best for you.
    Also study. Read as much as you can.
    And then, the most difficult: put into practice everything you read.
    Buddhadharma is a path of practice, not just theory.

Two books I found extremely useful in the beginning were Walpola Rahula's "What the Buddha taught" and Thich Nhat Nahn's "The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching."
    I found two links to the former (a summary and the whole book) but the link to the latter is very sketchy. Some pages work, some don't.
    You might consider buying these ones, since they are classics and you might find yourself resorting to them often.
    http://www.dhammaweb.net/books/Dr_Walpola_Rahula_What_the_Buddha_Taught.pdf
    http://bs.dila.edu.tw/zh/downloads/download_document.html?gid=4210
    http://soc2011.wikispaces.com/file/view/heartofteachings.pdf

Some useful links to learn about Buddhism, with plenty of e-books and reading material:
    http://viewonbuddhism.org/where_beginner_study_practice_meditation.html
    http://www.buddhanet.net/
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/

Thich Nhat Nahn's "The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching. I will look for this one and buy it I found a copy in Dutch, which I can order so I can read that. I also thank you a lot for your post. And your advice of course.

@bookworm said:
    Read the discourse on not self, and really take the time to contemplate it after reading it to the best of your ability, good luck and take care.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.059.nymo.html

Thanks I will check it out!

@Bunks said:
    Hi Rhodian‌.

Have a look around on the internet and in this forum and find what meditation works for you.

Then arm yourself with patience and persistence because nothing arises quickly in this practice.

Be kind and patient with yourself as it's easy to be judgemental when things don't change quickly when you start meditating. It takes time.

Good luck!

Thanks to you as well good advice thanks everyone!

@Hamsaka said:
    Schizoid is not well known or documented because . . . it's hard to know and hard to document :D . That won't matter though. Linehan's stuff is targeting borderline personality disorder, but the mindfulness techniques apply to anyone who has problems thinking realistically, or has intrusive bad thoughts (ie, everyone). The idea is to realize 'this is not me' when the thoughts and feelings come up. Everyone has these symptoms but some have them to such an extent they are classed as a disorder.

I recommend Bhante G's book that you have. He is brilliant and communicates his teachings so beginners understand.

I agree it's hard to document, but I have it and it's a disorder that probably makes it a lot easier to want less haha! All jokes aside it's quite a pain at the moment, but of course it might help me a bit. I think yoga works really well on my mind, so that is one down! now I just need to find a meditation technique I like.

@lobster said:

That is quiet cool! I will think it trough haha, though I must say I do not have a lot of room, but I do have a space in which I can do meditation even though it's very cold I just try pranayama -yoga breath techniques- to get myself heated. And in the summer it's not so cold, my artritis sometimes hurts though, yoga I sadly have to do down in the living room when no one ish ere I try to do it and when worst comes to worst I have to do it with someone around.

@karasti said:
    There are many teachers who post video talks on youtube as well, and some will interact with people via email and phone so that you can be in touch with a teacher, if you wish, without having to travel. Most teachers are not going to deny you contact because you cannot travel. My teacher is 400 miles away and is out of the country 6 months a year. He still keeps up with students via email, phone and video chat :) And he posts teachings on youtube to keep up with. Many do this.

As for books, Thich Nhat Hanh is always good for people newer to Buddhism. He is a Zen Monk but his books and teachings largely apply to anyone in today's world. Because he is so popular, his books are also available in many languages. He has some great meditations and other small tips that are quite helpful.

I can read English fine sometimes writing can be an issue, so don't be to hard on me haha! But yes I see his name pop up a lot and will probably this evening buy one of his books, his book is also not to expensive.

Though he is from a zen school which I tried, I must say Zen was quite had for me. Zen is something in which they want perfect form etc, sometimes I cannot sit well and worry to much about my posture keeping my eyes open is hard as well. Zen might be a bit to advanced when you have pain all trough your joints haha.

If it's any help. most people refer to Thich Nhat Hanh as TNH (shorter, easier!) and His Holiness the Dalai Lama as HHDL.

Otherwise you'll take ages writing a post! :lol:

• If you think the mind
    That attains enlightenment
    Is 'mine', your thoughts
    Will wrestle with one another.

These days I am not bothering about
    Getting enlightenment all the time,
    And the result is that
    I wake up in the morning feeling fine.

• Bankei

@federica said:
    If it's any help. most people refer to Thich Nhat Hanh as TNH (shorter, easier!) and His Holiness the Dalai Lama as HHDL.

Otherwise you'll take ages writing a post! :lol:

Haha thanks, but I must admit I copy pasted his name. As I would be afraid I would spell it wrong! But I guess the short cuts make sense.

I am not sure what to do but I will read some THN books, and some that I found online. The only hard thing now is to find out what school to follow or do. Since I am in big problems with my artritis and personality disorder I currently do not have a job nor did I have/get a good degree. So I live with my parents still, they provide food for me, which is also meat at times. Which might be a problem though I seen some schools do accept eating meat in some cases. Thus the search goes on...

Though with a lot of reading etc I can always find a outline somewhere and see what to follow or what not. But I can imagine when I read different books and they all have different outlooks trough different schools I would get very, very, very confused.

But I do thank you all a lot for the help I guess it is up to me to start reading/meditating and see what I like best!

I found the other, "Thich Nhat Nahn's "The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching" at my local library as well, @Rhodian. I don't remember if you said there were libraries where you live. I'm going to read that book next.

Rhodian

@silver said:
    I found the other, "Thich Nhat Nahn's "The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching" at my local library as well, Rhodian. I don't remember if you said there were libraries where you live. I'm going to read that book next.

There is a small library but they do not have the books that have to do with these subjects. I also got a whole collection of philosophy and psychological topics like Karl Jung in my bookshelf. So I can add in a buddhist book I can't buy 8 at one time, but one or 2 I can do quite good. :)

silver

Many Buddhist monks write ebooks that are free to download or read online, as monks of some Buddhist orders honor a precept where they do not handle (make or spend) money. Thanissaro Bikkhu is one author who has published his writings for free.

It doesn't matter where you start. Pick up and read the first available book, and if something in particular interests you further, pursue from there. That's how I've been studying.

Your written English is excellent -- how well do you do with listening to English? There are free Buddhist teachings, audio, literally everywhere, on nearly any subject. Dharmaseed.org, Dharmatalk, Audio Dharma are just three major ones I know of, just search for these terms and you'll forget you don't have money to spend on books or temples :) There are very 'westernized' Buddhist teachers and very traditional Tibetan, Thai, Vietnamese, Indian and Sri Lankan monks to listen to for free.

This is my opinion, but I can see a new person to Buddhism not needing anything at all except internet access to get more information than they can possibly read or listen to.

When a particular tradition or teacher stands out for you -- and it does not matter what or whom -- you are on your way to choosing the focus of your practice.

This was difficult for me to accept, to be honest. I am so used to religion being 'this is the ONLY right way'. Buddhism, to my relief, has no such limitations to the new seeker.

Rhodianlobster

@Hamsaka said:
    Many Buddhist monks write ebooks that are free to download or read online, as monks of some Buddhist orders honor a precept where they do not handle (make or spend) money. Thanissaro Bikkhu is one author who has published his writings for free.

It doesn't matter where you start. Pick up and read the first available book, and if something in particular interests you further, pursue from there. That's how I've been studying.

Your written English is excellent -- how well do you do with listening to English? There are free Buddhist teachings, audio, literally everywhere, on nearly any subject. Dharmaseed.org, Dharmatalk, Audio Dharma are just three major ones I know of, just search for these terms and you'll forget you don't have money to spend on books or temples :) There are very 'westernized' Buddhist teachers and very traditional Tibetan, Thai, Vietnamese, Indian and Sri Lankan monks to listen to for free.

This is my opinion, but I can see a new person to Buddhism not needing anything at all except internet access to get more information than they can possibly read or listen to.

When a particular tradition or teacher stands out for you -- and it does not matter what or whom -- you are on your way to choosing the focus of your practice.

This was difficult for me to accept, to be honest. I am so used to religion being 'this is the ONLY right way'. Buddhism, to my relief, has no such limitations to the new seeker.

Thanks I will check these sources, it's quite a pain that money is such a issue in todays society. I myself do not really want a lot, due to my schizoid nature of course. But it is quite nice there are many sources, I must say though that I can understand English well when I listen and or watch, the only problem is focus. So I guess I could listen to stuff before I sleep and have meditated a bit. So I could take some more time for that, I wonder if there are any beginner courses or anything, and will start looking if I can find something I do thank you again for your great help and advice. I am also noticing that I am taking it quite slow-slow, I guess I do not want to barge in but get some knowledge and let it sink in all. I could read 100, books timewise, but I think I will focus on Bhante g's book I have, the book I get tomorrow by TNH on the heart of the buddha's teaching and maybe a listening course for when I go sleep and wake up.

So thanks a lot! I really like what you say as well about limitations etc.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Rhodian said:
    Also I did say I am from the Netherlands, and there is one temple but that is not a temple I can go to everyday or once every time, even though the Netherlands is small, it does cost a lot money to go there and is quite far I live in the south and money is a problem. There was a place where I did zen meditation, I just didn't feel like I was ready for zen, zen is to hard for me to do yet.

Yes, travelling can be a challenge. However I would recommend having face-to-face contact with other Buddhists, at least occasionally. Also it's very good to get some face-to-face instruction on meditation and practice if you can, trying to learn from books or off the internet isn't ideal. Some centres run weekend retreats, that might be worth looking into.

Rhodian

@SpinyNorman said:

Money becomes a big issue in this thing. All I could do is practice on my own and maybe find a master that won't mind online contact, but I can imagine those are bussy. Yet on this forum there are many buddhists I believe so I can stay in contact. For me personally I cannot afford a retreat etc, train tickets to are very expensive. The only thing I know a place I can reach by car and I could go there once every 2 weeks or month, she has a zen buddhist master in Japan, he is an abbot there. And she stays in contact and has a zen group never big and I went there 7 times, however I was and may still not be ready for zen as I now tried vipassana which seems to work better for me. I could go there sometimes but I'd have to do zen with her, which should not be a problem, but might be a problem in the start as I need to grow comfortable in vipassana, what do you think?

As for a retreat:

I could maybe go one time a year, but that would mean a big chunk of my income goes away, and I am afraid my laptop might break at some time. But I do thank you for your advice I first want to get comfortable in the basics with books etc, I can always look what I do from there! But I think your already light years ahead of me with this suggestion!

Good news though vipassana went quite alright for me so I have to practice this and see if I can increase my time of sittings. After I have done this for a year I can surely look further!

@Rhodian said:
    Good news though vipassana went quite alright for me so I have to practice this and see if I can increase my time of sittings. After I have done this for a year I can surely look further!

Yes, I understand where you're coming from. I don't have much money myself, and I have to travel a fair distance to Buddhist meetings, so I know it can be a challenge.
    Anyway I'd encourage you to keep in touch with the Zen group, I think you'll find it helpful. There are many different approaches to meditation, but the skills you learn in one tradition or method are usually transferable.
    The best advice I can give you is to maintain a regular sitting practice, and try to keep it as simple as possible. Also keep an open mind as to where the journey may lead you.

Rhodian

@SpinyNorman said:

Hmm money, makes the world go round or freeze you death in your tracks. Though that only accounts travel-wise. Yes I will I should maybe I never went back after a few times because I was ashamed... I was no good at zen meditation.

I can notice after reading this book I picked up I am more receptive and actually am noticing when I do something out of my ego, or when I get annoyed by something to say 'hey, wait a minute why do I feel annoyed?' And try to reason it away, not sure if this is the right attitude, if I should actually reason it away or try to observe and let it slide without reasoning. But I would say it is already bearing some small fruits. Just that at times I am questioning myself and my actions if I can pull trough with regular practice I should sit in a good spot.

Thanks for your input friend.

Yes, mindfulness does change the way you see things! I'd be interested to hear what approach you're taking to vipassana meditation.

@SpinyNorman said:
    Yes, mindfulness does change the way you see things! I'd be interested to hear what approach you're taking to vipassana meditation.

I am trying to do it according to my book, by Bhante G, I really like the book.

I have good news I found a 10 day vipassana course that I can do for free of course I can donate after and will donate after I have done it, if I can save the money maybe I have to donate every month a small amount til I paid it off. But I can do that.

However I wonder if such a course is really reccomended for new beginners, what do you guys think?