Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

consummate in knowledge & conduct

what do you know about these?

when we homage to Buddha, this is one quality we say that He have
'vijja carana sampanno'

vijja = knowledge
carana = conduct

Comments

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

What does the question even mean? What are you asking? And is it something for Beginners, as that's where it's posted? I'm not a beginner and I wouldn't know how to answer...

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2014

I found this definition on Dhamma Wheel:
    "Accomplished in the conduct leading to awareness or cognitive skill. An epithet for the Buddha."
    You could try googling the pali phrase and see what comes up.

Nirvana
  • @upekka said:
    what do you know about these?

when we homage to Buddha, this is one quality we say that He have
    'vijja carana sampanno'

vijja = knowledge
    carana = conduct

Exactly so. Perfect conduct is something we move towards, exemplified in the Buddha ideal. Automatically this Śīla enables or empowers the perfecting of knowledge on the nature of Buddhood.

Be gentle. We are Buddhas in training, not all knowing perfections . . . <3

Jeffreyupekka
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

@‌lobster I'm not a Buddha in training, as a Theravada Buddhist I believe the enlightenment of the Buddha is the same as that of one who is an Arahant, and someone who is a stream entrant (Sotāpanna) cannot become a Buddha because he/she has only 7 more lives left before he/she attains the same enlightenment as a Buddha called Nibbana, that is what I believe.

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited December 2014

@bookworm said: someone who is a stream entrant (Sotāpanna) cannot become a Buddha because he/she has only 7 more lives left before he/she attains the same enlightenment as a Buddha called Nibbana

Even the Buddha passed through all four stages and didn't skip from unenlightened straight to fully enlightened (at least given the Theravada accounts). It's not like you get Stream Entry in one life, and then skip that part in the next life and go straight to Once Returner (and so on).

The whole "7 more lives" thing doesn't seem important to believe, not to mention supported by evidence or anything like that. It shouldn't be any kind of cornerstone. Just put one foot in front of the other and concentrate on right here, right now.

• bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

@Toraldris That is not what I meant, of course one who attains stream entry can go through the other 3 stages of of enlightenment of Once Returning, None Returning and Arhantship in his or her present life. What i'm saying is that a stream entrant cannot become a Buddha because in Theravada a stream entrant has only 7 more lives left and it takes many eons to become a Buddha in Theravada, and full enlightenment is Nibbana in Theravada.

edited December 2014

@bookworm The small-b "buddha" means the same thing as Arahant, and that's full enlightenment in Theravada. That's the goal. Capital-b "Buddha" in Theravada just means the founder Siddhartha Gautama, the one who discovered and taught the path to enlightenment. The goal is not to become Buddha, it's to become a buddha/Arahant. So saying a stream entrant can't become Buddha is kind of nonsensical.

I think you've absorbed some Mahayana notion of Buddhahood that isn't what Theravada teaches. Mahayana believes Arahants are still deluded, and so not fully enlightened. That's not the Theravada position though.

upekka
  • @bookworm said:
    @‌lobster I'm not a Buddha in training . . . [beliefs deleted]

Bravo. 'Not being a Buddha in training' is beyond belief . . . well done . . . thanks for info o:)

bookwormupekka