Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Zen story

i am not quite sure about this story which is related to wind and flag

i might have read it in this forum itself

could any one tell the complete story again

as far as i remember:
one monk said 'the flag moving'
other monk said 'no wind moving'
their teacher said 'your mouth moving'

is this correct?

if not please tell it again, thanks

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2014

I believe their teacher actually said "it's your mind that is moving",

Zen flesh, Zen bones.

• I think 'your mouth is moving' is the finale with mind moving as third.

• You really didn't know the punchline to the story?

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran

as far as I remember, what i heard in a zen talk, the above story is like below:
    two monks were arguing at seeing a moving flag in a wind as to which of them is correct. one monk said the flag is moving. the other monk said no, the wind is moving. a teacher happened to go that way and he heard the two monks arguing. the monks asked the teacher - which of them is correct? the teacher replied - the mind is moving.

Toraldris
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2014

Huineng’s flag – A Zen Koan

A Koan is a story, parable, statement or question and comes from the tradition of Zen Buddhism. Not open to rational understanding and solving, they force the reader to a more intuitive and pondering approach. They are said to reflect the awakened state of a person, and can also be used during meditation to focus attention.

Two monks were watching a flag flapping in the wind. One said to the other, “The flag is moving.”
    The other replied, “The wind is moving.”
    Huineng overheard this. He said, “Not the flag, not the wind; mind is moving.”

http://mindmastery.wordpress.com/2007/02/17/huinengs-flag-a-zen-koan/

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Does this answer your original query, @upekka‌..?
    Hope so.

This discussion has been closed.