Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New Year's Resolution...And The Battle For Self Supremacy !

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

It would seem for many people towards the end of the year, one of their many selves might decide to make a change, but more often than not, fails to get the consensus of the other selves involved...

When the "If it an't broke don't fix it" self hears of the proposed change, they kick up a real stink, which sets off the doubtful & procrastinator selves, squabbling amongst themselves "No need to start now I'll start later" says the procrastinator self, "What's the point, I won't keep to it " says the doubtful self...Eventually they all have their say and one normally comes out on top....well for a while anyway...

Does this ring a bell ?

This sense of self I think I am, is often in a bind-
when I start doing one thing another thing comes to mind-
I chop and change all day, trying to be better than the rest-
but more often than not I fail miserably, in the concentration test-
Staying focus on the task at hand is not an east thing to do-
when a bundle of selves within, all fight to take control of you!

Which of the many sense of selves is going to be/or would like to be in charge this year ?

Just some food for thought :)

lobstermmoEarthninja

Comments

• @Shoshin said:

Does this ring a bell ?

DING! (*)

I would suggest that as you mention we are a multitude of selves. Parents, children, siblings, Buddhists, yogis, runners, crazy, sane . . . and so on, dependent on our situation and changing context.

Unravelling and allowing these selves to quieten their noise is one part of the path. Another part far more relevant in this context, is the arising of inherent useful quality selves:

• The discerning or discriminating self
    • The objective self
    • The self in other
    • The patient and accepting self
    • The dharma aligned self
    • The aware self
    • The practice self
    • The wise and compassionate self
    • The ideal self
    • The changing self
    • The internal peaceful warrior self
    • The optimistic self
    • The self study
      and so on and on and on . . .

. . . and hopefully 'The Buddha Self' and No self
    but for that we need a manifest self . . .

http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/ngier/HBselves.htm

Here is one of my infinite selves in an itsy-bitsy-red-dress Buddha body . . .
    . . . gosh must be that humorous, heretic self - down boy . . . there is a 'good gal'

mmoEarthninjaBuddhadragonShoshin
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    The only real power we have is that to be aware of ourselves. Seeing them objectively.

That awareness will help us stop taking ourselves so seriously.

"Damn, I failed my resolution again!" (Thought- very personal with lots of deep feelings)

With awareness we can then say.

"Hang on, did I think that or did that thought just come up?"
    (Second thought - both observed, second one is not personal, you realise the distance between you and thought. Suddenly it doesn't hurt as much" :)

My goal, to listen to that damn voice in my head with awareness. Stay mindful, stay in charge!
    Shoshin
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited January 2015

Resolution: If only for the shortest of times, I will try to be still and improve absolutely nothing. Just a little. I can always go back to improving things later: A lifetime's worth of evidence proves my capacity for that ... and its success rate.

Shoshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I can equate.

Better luck next time, eh...? ;)

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

I Will...
    Be Myself...
    You and They...
    Are Too!
    Next another,
    far too bold;
    emotions now arise.
    Cauldron's boiling over
    and here's life's little surprise!
    So let's turn the heat down
    Sup together in the comfort
    That neither you,
    nor I,
    abide....
    The title for supremacy
    Was won aeons ago!
    This little self,
    bound to
    virtual wealth,
    cannot steal the show.
    Resolve to do
    for one whole year
    a thought?
    an act?
    just flow...

SarahTShoshin
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

No ambitious resolutions, no unrealistic resolutions, no fixed resolutions...
    Just a pliable, flexible and woolly idea of the goals I would like to see accomplished this year, and enough room for acceptance at life's presenting me with other alternatives.

When life does not go our way, we learn something we did not know.

SarahTShoshin
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited January 2015

I was told that if I did not have a new years resolution, I was a person with no drive; so I stood up to that person and said that henceforth I was resolved to have no drive; and so it has now become a basic universal law that there can be no resolution to my basic problem! FATE or FEAT, they appear to be the same ...\lol/...

EarthninjaSarahT