Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Special Mantra?

silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded.USA, Left coast. Veteran

I kept this post from another forum about a special mantra...

"During the Kaliyug the quickest and easiest path to moksha is through bhakti. Cultivate pure love and take shelter under a sacred mantra. Develop your love for God and your love for all beings and remember God's names. This is how liberation is attained.

An easy and effective mantra- and one of the most powerful is called the Tiru Mantra.

Aum Namo Narayanaya

Remember the qualities of Sri Bhagavan and all devotion to develop naturally.

Aum Hari Aum!"

I remember when I first got this mantra (Aum Namo Narayanaya), I printed it up on a piece of paper in big letters and while driving around, I would practice it. Life got 'busy' and I dropped the practice. I was just wondering if anybody has ever heard of this one or practiced it.

It's all these foreign names (places, people, mantras, etc.) that makes me feel like I'm drowning in tmi!

Comments

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Aum Namo Narayanaya is Hindu, @silver.
    When I was exploring mantras and compared religion I very much liked Ganesha and would repeat one of his mantras: Om Gam Ganapataya Namah.
    I'm not acquainted with your mantra, sorry...

• ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

Its a mantra to Vishnu, I chanted it a few times when I was exploring Advaita Vedanta Bhakti yoga.

@Silver : Google is your friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narayana

lobster
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

@silver wrote: It's all these foreign names (places, people, mantras, etc.) that makes me feel like I'm drowning in tmi!

I think everyone has hit a similar brick wall -- too much information or the taunting question, "If you're so smart, how come you're not happy?"

Without trying to enforce a particular regimen, I would say that this difficulty is most easily resolved in a meditation practice. Or anyway, that was my experience: Sitting in half lotus day in and day out (I'm a Zennie), there were naturally moments of intense physical pain, a pain that asked in plain English, "where does the chitchat go when your right leg burns like fire?" It was just a question, not a taunt.

Where does the too-much-information go when you have to pee?

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran
    edited January 2015

@genkaku said:I think everyone has hit a similar brick wall -- too much information or the taunting question, "If you're so smart, how come you're not happy?"

>
    Without trying to enforce a particular regimen, I would say that this difficulty is most easily resolved in a meditation practice. Or anyway, that was my experience: Sitting in half lotus day in and day out (I'm a Zennie), there were naturally moments of intense physical pain, a pain that asked in plain English, "where does the chitchat go when your right leg burns like fire?" It was just a question, not a taunt.
    >

Where does the too-much-information go when you have to pee?

>

Good points, yeah. :)

I'm not the type to go in for noticing by inducing pain in myself. I really like the bringing attention gently back to whatever I was doing. Works well enough for me, tyvm.
    ;)

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@Lonely_Traveller said:
    Its a mantra to Vishnu, I chanted it a few times when I was exploring Advaita Vedanta Bhakti yoga.

Silver : Google is your friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narayana

>

Thank you, @Lonely_Traveller‌ --- I quoted you just so I could say your name! :p

I'm such a silly... (*)

@DhammaDragon said:Aum Namo Narayanaya is Hindu, @silver.
    When I was exploring mantras and compared religion I very much liked Ganesha and would repeat one of his mantras: Om Gam Ganapataya Namah.
    I'm not acquainted with your mantra, sorry...

>

Beautiful picture, anyway. <3

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

@silver wrote: I'm not the type to go in for noticing by inducing pain in myself.

I don't advocate masochism, but a practice that is without pain strikes me as unlikely. As the slick are wont to say, "no pain, no gain." What they seem to forget in their infinite wisdom is that if "no pain, no gain" is true, then "no gain, no pain" is equally true and Buddhism is largely about the 'gains' that lead to pain, whether intellectual or material.

Hope you'll just keep on keepin' on, whatever the practice.

silvermmoDavid