Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mindfulness Based Pain Reduction

ZenshinZenshin VeteranEast Midlands UK Veteran

Interesting article on using mindfulness to manage pain over at BBC news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-ouch-30534749

lobster

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@dhammachick said:
    I use meditation as part of my pain management with my illness. Mindfulness meditation is extremely beneficial for me.

Could you say briefly how you apply this in practice?

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    Could you say briefly how you apply this in practice?

I meditate the pain away.

At the onset of my head pain, or motor skill seizures, I start to focus on my breath and use counting to ten as my focal point. I do this over and over till the pain starts to subside. This is very effective during MRI's as well. I'm not perfect and sometimes I need to take pain meds, but given the amount of drugs I already take for my illness, if I can avoid a few more, even better.

_ /\ _

lobsterVastmindVictoriouszenguitar
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@dhammachick said:
    _ /\ _

So basically paying attention to the breath instead of the pain?

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:

Yes

• Wow. Very inspiring.

Just been doing some gentle yoga and I have been 'bringing attention to the tension' and letting it go.

I am a woos when it comes to pain unless it comes by choice through exercise. I tend to do an excellent impression of a jelly (Jello) when pain arises.

These pain relief insights, researches and working techniques are Dharma Practical. Outstanding.

• TalisTalis Explorer

@dhammachick said:
    I use meditation as part of my pain management with my illness. Mindfulness meditation is extremely beneficial for me.

_ /\ _

I also use meditation & mantra as part of pain management. I have a complex degenerative neurological condition, where on a neuron level the input messages that the neurons transmit get turned onto transmitting pain, no matter what the input ie temp change, pressure or even sensations such as a breeze. It’s now known that the neurological system can hold a memory outside of the brain; around the heart, lower abdomen as well as each neuron. I’m not sure if my use of meditation impacts pain because of distraction or whether it’s repairing the neurons behaviour but I can say it helps slow down the degeneration of my condition, also as with ‘Dhammachick’ it helps with reducing my seizures. I firmly believe that if it’s safe & hurts no other then use anything to reduce physical pain.

lobster
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Every day, new articles about the benefits of meditation. I read one today about a significant increase in improved sleep for people over 55 who struggle with insomnia and other sleep disorders. Yet so many still brush it off as hokey-pokey magic. Works for me. I happen to like magic. Too bad for them, suffering extra for no reason because nothing is more terrifying that sitting silently with yourself!

@dhammachick and @Talis I am glad to hear you have such positive effects on your dis-ease through meditation. I wish you both well.

Kundo