Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How does one foster compassion and overcome anger when they have been really hurt or mistreated?

As I have posted before, my boyfriend (I am leaving my boyfriend, but do not have the resources yet to do so ) is controlling and at times abusive. It's really hard for me not to struggle with very deep anger and fiestiness/defiance internally when dealing with this. I don't know how to combine compassion with this situation?

I feel like I really struggle with cynicism and anger towards guys who have a romantic interest in me as well. I am naturally a fiesty person - but having gone through this situation, I feel like I have built up a wall of mistrust, cynicism and seeing relationships as a battle (so not really seeing them in the best light) - in response to all the pain of being hurt and controlled.

I am admitting I have a problem. And I can guess that some people will say "oh so one guy hurt you and now you are angry at all men? That's stupid and sexist" - I am not really asking for a judgement on how rational or unfair the way I am thinking is - I know it is, I know I am struggling with it. I just don't know what to do - how do I get past these feelings and become open and compassionate towards guys who are interested in me, rather than seeing them as very threatening?

And how do I avoid or let go of anger when someone is just constantly hurting me? I feel like every day I am angry and I know anger is a poison in Buddhism. How do you get past anger when people really hurt you or continually treat you in controlling and disrespectful ways? How do you stay open hearted and compassionate?

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Vanilli said:
    I am naturally a fiesty person

To steal a question from Jack Kornfield: "Is that who you really are?"

I'd suggest (as @SpinyNorman has above) looking after yourself for a while and steering clear of guys perhaps.

Good luck!

Vanilli
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

It's probably harder for you right now, knowing your future plan to move away (unbeknownst to him), which means it's hard to live in the here and now, because you're looking (and imagining/dreaming) about how much better life will be -- creating a lot of anxiety that you have to sit on.

I've always been feisty (and people say pretty quirky as well), and from reading your post, I think feisty can indicate fear...if you don't mind me 'shrinking' you a bit. I suppose I should speak for myself, but it was a notion that I think you're capable of accepting or rejecting after giving it a think on that possibility. For me, I think it's a bit of a defensive - sometimes cryptic mode because you don't want them to see you sweat, in a manner of speaking.

I've gotten so much from the short time I've been practicing mindfulness and meditation and want to encourage you to do that every chance you get. (*)

Vanilli
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Vanilli: right now is not the moment to consider prospective romantic involvements.
    It is the moment to put this story behind you and heal yourself.

And please: the world is full of gorgeous and wonderful men who will be more than willing to prove to you that not all men are mean when you are ready to love again.

Sometimes it is hard enough for a guy to muster up the courage to ask you out or pay you a compliment, it would be unfair to dump him under the "abusive" blanket within five minutes of meeting him.

Forget terms like "battle" or "control" when referring to relationships.
    They tip the balance the wrong way right from the start.

Relationships are about a man and a woman meeting, liking each other, compromising rough corners and hopefully building something together.

BunkslobsterVanilli
  • RhodianRhodian Loser Veteran
    Whenever someone hurts me, sometimes my pride is Hurt. Other times I would be angry because I felt helpless, other times frustrated I wasn't strong enough.

Hurt is a destination the road to hurt can be very different. Physical, mentally, helpless or even self hurt.

Now when your pride is hurt you need to let go of your pride, when your hurt because your helpless you are in for a harder treatment. When being helpless, help is best I remember my dad hit me very hard, but it was for a very stupid reason. He didn't think of my feelings and I was really hurt, now I have forgiven him. I realised my dad is full with holes the more I get to know him, here insight can be important. Like dhammadragon says, there are nice men. The same dad that hit me for no reason would never hit my mom, and every week he buys flowers for my mom and really cares for her.

Having grown up in this family I have learned to respect the ladies, and I might not be the best guy I remember asking a girl out was really scary for me and often I'd hear no, sometimes I got friendzoned as the kids would say nowadays for being to soft or friendly.

Now I am not trying to promote myself as best-man© but trying to say there must be like minded men that could be very nice. However you can read about it or hear, you have to experience yourself to know, same as mediation people have to experience benefits or they would give up.

Now then to find some insight in this is quite hard, to find insight in anything is hard actually self-delusion is a problem..

So I am falling into long lines of texts without solutions my apologies its a Dutch habit... But in the struggles of today I do know compassion can or is hard. Well according to the Buddha compassion will do good, however if you cannot feel compassion at the moment or are hurt in the process of doing so try to think at least of impermanence and let compassion be for another time.. The Buddha adjusted his teachings for all walks of people, nothing wrong with letting compassion be for now, trough meditation you might get more insights and it might become easier.

The spiritual path is one of growth and we all have to grow, we do not instantly become oaks we are seeds cultivating trying to become oaks, compassion might be a story for another growth stage.
    silverBuddhadragonVanillisova
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    @sova Great advice and some really good pointers for all of us :)

Thanks sova. Very insightful and thoughtful
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@sova said:

There's an old experiment, mind you it's not a very nice one, about conditioning. This doctor proposed that he could make a baby terrified of anything, which essentially meant that he could make a person terrified of anything. So, you know, what could you possibly do that's crazy and radical and insane? Let's make the baby afraid of a bunny. Of course, they pick the cutest darned bunny in the world and when they show the bunny to the baby they pinch the baby's bottom and the baby cries. Rinse, wash, repeat... now you have an adult with an irrational fear of cute bunnies. Crazy and sad and twisted (and true).

I saw a documentary about this a little while ago. They had footage of the baby being experimented on. It was quite difficult to watch.

Someone told me they wanted to do experiments on the effects of leaving new born babies alone to cry without comforting them. However, it wasn't allowed as it was considered unethical.

And yet new parents are often still encouraged to do it?

We are strange beings......

• SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joy South Coast, UK Veteran

@Vanilli said:
    How do you get past anger when people really hurt you or continually treat you in controlling and disrespectful ways? How do you stay open hearted and compassionate?

For me, it's a combination of time and mindfulness. I need to grieve a loss, a hurt - to "lick my wounds". I'm not recommending wallowing in pain but I need patience to find the balance:

• Serenity to accept the things I cannot change
    • Courage to change the things I can
    • Wisdom to know the difference

Followed by:

• Patience with the changes that take time
    • Appreciation of all that I have
    • Tolerance of those with different struggles
    • Strength to get up and try again, one day at a time.

<3

BunksVanilli
  • Thank you everyone! Whenever I post asking for some help here, I always feel kind of embarrassed or like maybe I shouldn't have haha, but you leave me such wonderful, wise replies - I appreciate all your wisdom and compassion so much - thank you all <3.

sovasilverEarthninja
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Hah! You wait until the year-end exam... we delete all your threads, and the questions aren't multiple choice, but really tricky!! :grinning:

VanilliSarahT