Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How Buddhists treat guests?

Hello!
I am new in Buddhism. I would like to know how buddhist treat guest in his house. Are there any special habits?

Thank you for your replies.

Comments

• RhodianRhodian Loser Veteran

I do not know about this... But even the Buddha got offered bad food... I would not worry to much about it just stay on the path/guidelines the buddha gave you, and there might not be something in it specific for treatment of guests, but there are things like do not lie, and such that can be used when there's guests as well.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Buddhists act in precisely the same way as any hospitable host would.
    There is nothing intrinsically different between a good, kindly, generous and welcoming host, and a good, kindly generous, welcoming Buddhist host.

The ambience may be different, but the manners remain the same.

Now, being a Buddhist guest, may have different connotations....

lobster
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    Buddhist people chant mantras to their guests on opening the door and place lotus flowers with Buddha napkins on the table...
    Yes, of course I'm joking...
    Buddhist people treat their guests like anybody else.
    It might be more a case of which country you are in, and cultural differences rather than a specific religious issue.
    VastmindEarthninjaSarahT
  • @DhammaDragon said:
    Buddhist people chant mantras to their guests on opening the door and place lotus flowers with Buddha napkins on the table...

You iz joking?

Sounded like a plan to me . . . :blush:
    I have Buddhas above the door, in the bathroom, kitchen and living room. There is a giant lotus on the wall etc. The Buddhas are my primary guests. Others including me are just passing through. Of course I am an overtly Buddha fanboy. Will be looking out for Buddha paper napkins at Dharma 'r Us, as I believe mindful mouth wiping equates to Noble Silence. B)

BuddhadragonEarthninja
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@davez said:
    I would like to know how buddhist treat guest in his house. Are there any special habits?

With mindfulness and compassion _ /\ _

lobsterBuddhadragon
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

<3 The table is set for our guests <3

Kundolobster
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

@DhammaDragon said:
    Yes, of course I'm joking...
    Buddhist people treat their guests like anybody else.
    It might be more a case of which country you are in, and cultural differences rather than a specific religious issue.

When I come for my visit, I will expect nothing less!

This OP reminds me of Rumi's poem "The Guest House"

This being human is a guest house.

Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,

some momentary awareness comes
    as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!

Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
    who violently sweep your house
    empty of its furniture,
    still, treat each guest honorably.
    He may be clearing you out
    for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice.

meet them at the door laughing and invite them in.

Be grateful for whatever comes.

because each has been sent
    as a guide from beyond.

-- Jelaluddin Rumi,

translation by Coleman Barks

lobsterSarahTBuddhadragon