Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Trungpa documentary understandable to 'rookie'?

Open a new thread if you want to talk about whether Trungpa is a drunk etc. That would be an interesting topic but doesn't help me.

My girlfriend asked me if I want to watch a documentary about Katie Perry. I am very flexible and would probably like watching about Katie. I liked her songs for the Super Bowl half time show. But I had an idea to see if she would watch Trungpas documentary. I have never seen it. She knows nothing about Buddhism.

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Do you want our opinion on Katie Perry or whether your GF should watch a Trungpa documentary?

If so, my advice - watch Katie Perry with her to make her happy and forget about whether she should watch Trungpa or not. That doesn't matter........

Jeffrey
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    edited February 2015
    Is that the "Crazy Wisdom" doc on Netflix?
  • @Rowan1980 probably not but I might be able to order a disc on Amazon or something.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

I vote with @bunks. If your friend knows you are interested in Buddhism, perhaps the day will come when she will ask for details. Until that day, enjoy the Super Bowl.

Rowan1980
  • Oh now she is interested to see it. I told her she didn't have to.

lobsterBunks
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

If the one you are talking about is "Crazy Wisdom" I don't think it would be too bad on a rookie. Netflix had it (if you have a netflix account) streaming, I watched it last year. It talks more about his life and not so much in-depth Buddhist things.

Just make sure not to turn it into a "quid pro quo" situation, where she asks if you'd watch something, and you counter with "Yeah, but only if you watch this!" Not saying that is what you did, lol, just something to be aware of.

My hubby and I find decent balance this way. It's not something suggested or negotiated, it's just how it works out. I suffer through things like the Riddick Chronicles, Fantastic Four, and Lord of the Rings (sorry, I tried to like it, I just can't. Snooze fest!) and he suffers through "Save the Last Dance" "Coyote Ugly" and "Samsara." It just works out. But, if there are things I know flat out he would rather not watch and would get nothing at all out of, I just watch them on my own time. He'd have as much interest in Crazy Wisdom as I'd have in watching the entire set of Punkin Chuckin shows. Sometimes, it's best not to share, lol.

Jeffrey
  • Yes karasti I don't want to make it a 'payment'. But we try to open up to each other and learn each others special things.