Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What makes you cry?

2»

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

...."Oh, Danny Boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling....."

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

One of my favourite renditions of Danny Boy is in the film "Memphis Belle". An excellent film if you haven't seen it.

Bunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

It's a beautiful ballad when sung well.... <3

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

What makes you cry?

Assu Sutta "Tears"

"At Savatthi. There the Blessed One said: "From an inconstruable beginning comes transmigration. A beginning point is not evident, though beings hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving are transmigrating & wandering on. What do you think, monks: Which is greater, the tears you have shed while transmigrating & wandering this long, long time — crying & weeping from being joined with what is displeasing, being separated from what is pleasing — or the water in the four great oceans?"

"As we understand the Dhamma taught to us by the Blessed One, this is the greater: the tears we have shed while transmigrating & wandering this long, long time — crying & weeping from being joined with what is displeasing, being separated from what is pleasing — not the water in the four great oceans."

"Excellent, monks. Excellent. It is excellent that you thus understand the Dhamma taught by me.

"This is the greater: the tears you have shed while transmigrating & wandering this long, long time — crying & weeping from being joined with what is displeasing, being separated from what is pleasing — not the water in the four great oceans.

"Long have you (repeatedly) experienced the death of a mother. The tears you have shed over the death of a mother while transmigrating & wandering this long, long time — crying & weeping from being joined with what is displeasing, being separated from what is pleasing — are greater than the water in the four great oceans.

"Long have you (repeatedly) experienced the death of a father... the death of a brother... the death of a sister... the death of a son... the death of a daughter... loss with regard to relatives... loss with regard to wealth... loss with regard to disease. The tears you have shed over loss with regard to disease while transmigrating & wandering this long, long time — crying & weeping from being joined with what is displeasing, being separated from what is pleasing — are greater than the water in the four great oceans.

"Why is that? From an inconstruable beginning comes transmigration. A beginning point is not evident, though beings hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving are transmigrating & wandering on. Long have you thus experienced stress, experienced pain, experienced loss, swelling the cemeteries — enough to become disenchanted with all fabricated things, enough to become dispassionate, enough to be released."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn15/sn15.003.than.html

I guess over our many rebirths we have shed tears enough to fill rivers lakes and oceans...

BunksJeffreyBuddhadragon

Talking of shedding tears of anguish, have my USA friends heard about this triple shooting in Chapel Hill, Nth Carolina....?

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Yes, it is front page news (although I have GMA on right now and they are busy talking about Dancing with the Stars, you know, important stuff.)
    Makes me sad to see so many articles talk about the "rising anti-Muslin rhetoric in America" :( &*^%#$@ people like that guy aren't representative of Americans.

Well apparently there is furore because no media division would touch it for 20 hours....

I keep reading about Whitney Houston's daughter, And how Australia is going to be competing in the Eurovision Song Contest (yes, apparently Australia is in 'Europe' now... heh, who knew...?!) and this news item is bottom of the pile....

Rowan1980
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Bottom of the pile? Main headline on CNN internet, main headline on NBC news internet. Didn't look beyond that.

Well, I'm on the other side of the Atlantic. I only get to read what I get to read, when I get to read it....

I'm merely indicating that apparently, some American news outlets didn't report this until at least 20 hours after the event. Allegedly, from what I read.That's all...

@vinlyn, yes, but it was trending on twitter MANY hours before any news outlet picked it up, which is odd considering our media will jump on any headline where multiple people have been shot in such a manner.
    News agencies increasingly find their stories by follow twitter trends. You'll often read "this story was first reported on Twitter." but in this case, it was a long time. It happened at dinner time yesterday. It was not on the news pages until more than 12 hours later. I was online until midnight last night and it still had not been on any of the major channels...just twitter and the local NC stations. Strange.

Rowan1980

And that may be true. But keep in mind that murder cases typically don't get reported on national news at all. Murder cases are primarily "local news" unless they involve a well known figure or some unusual situation. Chapel Hills is only the 16th largest city in North Carolina, let alone the United States. There are no television stations in Chapel Hill, and certainly no national print or television reporters stationed there.

Colorado Springs is much bigger, and the only time I can remember here that a news story has gone national in a shorter time was when we had the forest fires that were raging and threatening the evacuation of (literally) millions of people.

Just as an example, when the little boy shot his mom on accident in Walmart in Idaho, it was in the national news (not front page, but at the top of the story lines) within 4 hours. Earlier this week several people were killed in a Tampa Bay area home and within an hour it was all over the top story lines in the national news. 55 minutes after the 911 call was reported, CNN had posted their first report. There's no real reason this should have taken 12+ hours when it was all over social media.

Vastmind

So are you saying there's a conspiracy?

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited February 2015

:cry: < ----- Just seeing the little pea cry makes me tear up....hahaha...I'm hopeless...

karastiHamsakaRowan1980

He does look really sad!
    @vinlyn, I said nothing of the sort. I just said it was strange. Perhaps they were waiting to see what the police said as far as a motive before they reported on the no-doubt inflammatory nature of a white guy who killed 3 Muslim college students. Perhaps they were too busy worrying about Rosie O'Donnell's breakup with her wife or Brian Williams suspension. I don't know. I don't claim to know. It's just strange, and I don't think it's wrong to ask why.

Karasti, I didn't say you said that. I asked if that was your implication.

And no, there's nothing wrong with asking why.

A lot of people who are talking about it feel very hurt, very left out of the country they live in when a story that is no doubt very big to the Muslim community as a whole was not given the same attention as things much more minor. I feel bad for them, so it makes me ask why, along with them. But no, I didn't intend to insinuate that it was a conspiracy to purposely not report it or attempt to hide it.

Rosie O'Donnell is splitting from her wife?? Oh no!! Oh, my goodness, that is so sad! That's such a shame, wow....
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    (Who's Rosie O'Donnell...? :confused: )

She's the biggest ass on television (IMHO).

No wonder she's made the news then. The bigger the so-called, the more sensationalist they are....

In my view, she's totally obnoxious, has been on our t.v. show "The View" (all women hosts) and has constantly gotten into arguments with all the other hosts. Probably one of the first lesbian comedians to really come to the fore, but her career has faded...other than due to her outspokenness on almost any topic you can imagine. She's extremely aggressive when she talks, so she is a bit of a news magnet, which is a shame.

She has been in a few movies, like A League of Their Own. She's pretty loud and obnoxious but I don't mind her. I like her better than Barbara Walters, but I never understood the American love affair with that woman, lol. Rosie is kind of a less screechy and not quite as offensive character as Roseanne Barr (if you know her). For some reason, any time something is going on with one of the ladies from The View (which has 4 female hosts but they change pretty often) it makes the news. I think they just like to focus on any of them because it's an entirely female-hosted show followed by mainly women. They are, you know, corrupting the women of America!

LOL. I like The View, although I rarely catch it. But my fav daytime show is "Ellen", though I don't see that often because I rarely watch t.v. until evening.

• Sometimes i cry out of joy listening to dhamma talks and when i see cute puppies or general animals (they always helped me through the tough times, ajahn pets, and i get emotional with them haha :) )
    mmosilverBunks
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@vinlyn said:
    In my view, she's totally obnoxious, has been on our t.v. show "The View" (all women hosts) and has constantly gotten into arguments with all the other hosts. Probably one of the first lesbian comedians to really come to the fore, but her career has faded...other than due to her outspokenness on almost any topic you can imagine. She's extremely aggressive when she talks, so she is a bit of a news magnet, which is a shame.

I thank god I don't have a tv to 'corrupt' me, like I need help wit dat! She's not obnoxious - she's just a tough Jersey bird as I like to call 'em - I have a friend from Jersey and she IS a tough bird, I gotta tell ya! (manipulative, too - I keep my distance these days, ha!). I like Roseann Barr, fwiw. To a point, though.
    :p

I liked Roseanne's tv show, but I find some of her crudeness off-putting. I like people who come across as more working or middle class, even if they aren't, lol. Must be good actors ;)

I really don't watch much daytime tv. Most of it makes me cry for humanity. GMA used to be mostly news, now it's mostly entertainment news. I mostly shut it off. The kids watch some cartoons after school (even those are bad) and my husband watches baseball, which is the main reason we have cable tv at all. Yesterday our power went out for 4 hours (in January in Minnesota that's no treat with no heat, lol) but the silence was wonderful. No tv, no heater going, no fridge running. Complete silence indoors and out. Don't get that often anymore.

I remember the TV series Roseanne, but it went off it when it got 'tired'...
    I remember two lines we used to use at home:

Roseanne: Have the kids gone to school?
    Dan: yes, honey...
    Roseanne: Good! Change the locks!!

And

Roseanne: We're having meatloaf for dinner. I just threw it in the oven now...
    Guest: How long do you cook it for...?
    Roseanne: Hell, I dunno... Becky usually knows when it's ready...

(programme continues... after a while...)

Becky: Oh my god, what's that awful smell..?!
    Roseanne: meatloaf's ready!!

we have a similar programme to 'The View' in the UK, called 'Loose Women' - a chat show daytime-tv programme fronted by 4 or 5 celebrity women, who interview guests... They're all bosom-buddies, tight friends and great pals - on camera. A relative used to work on the programme as a researcher, and said that while the cameras are rolling they all get on like a house on fire, but off camera, there's no social interaction at all, and there are occasional 'personality clashes'... but I've never seen it on the programme itself.... seems Rosie O'Donnell can't keep it professional....

JeffreyRowan1980
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited February 2015

Roseanne was the closest I ever saw to my real Mom on TV. I had no June Cleaver or Mrs. Brady...my mom was balls to the walls about everything and when I first saw Roseanne...I thought...Hey! There goes my mom and dad....I still like watching her when she does the occasional opinion about something...even if I don't agree with her...she does not apologize for what she thinks....AND we had meatloaf alot for dinner...hahaha

karasti

I related a lot to the family on Roseanne, too. Shy of the little brother, it was very much like my family. My sister is the gay artsy opinionated one, I'm the responsible goody goody older sister, lol. My dad worked in the mines, and my mom was a secretary at the clinic until they got divorced. I still watch reruns, and I still laugh. I was so sad at the end though and I don't think I've recovered yet, LOL. So that also makes me cry ;) Just like Parenthood. Only 2 shows ever I was sad to see end, though Roseanne had run its course and it was just time.

The last episode of M.A.S.H. here in the UK nearly caused a massive power cut....

Kundo

I've seen some of MASH, but not all. It was mostly out of my age range when it was on (I was born in 75). I saw the last episode but having not grown up with it or seen it all it wasn't as meaningful to me as most. Though, it's on netflix now so I might have to watch it.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@federica said:
    Well apparently there is furore because no media division would touch it for 20 hours....

I keep reading about Whitney Houston's daughter, And how Australia is going to be competing in the Eurovision Song Contest (yes, apparently Australia is in 'Europe' now... heh, who knew...?!) and this news item is bottom of the pile....

Well we just won the "Asian" Cup so why not be part of Europe too? ;-)

Kundo
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited February 2015

@federica said:
    And how Australia is going to be competing in the Eurovision Song Contest (yes, apparently Australia is in 'Europe' now... heh, who knew...?!) and this news item is bottom of the pile....

Yes under the banner of "Building Bridges"............ I shudder to think who they will send to represent us. @Bunks I hear that TISM has been put forward as a suggestion. I'd love to see Europe's reaction to He'll Never Be An Old Man (River) but at the same time I'd cringe :p

Bunks

On a serious note, what makes me cry lately is the fact that while I have the terminal illness, my mother is in hospital with blood clots in her lungs and has had 6 litres of fluid pumped out of her lungs (how the hell they could hold that much is beyond me).

I admit I am having a hard time keeping logical about this.

_ /\ _

BuddhadragonRowan1980
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Thoughts are with you @dhammachick! Blessings to you and your mum.

Are you serious about TISM? I vote for Defecate on my face as the song! O.o

edited February 2015

Thanks @Bunks
    Yep they even have a petition going to reform TISM and send them to Eurovision. What about "Whatareya?" and one of my faves "I Hate Football" B) (except I don't, well ok I do, except AFL, I LOVE AFL

_ /\ _

Bunks
  • A tube station seems to set this lass off . . . must be a strike, good thing she found a taxi :p

. . . and now back to the real Dukkha . . . :cry:

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

@karasti said:
    He does look really sad!
    vinlyn, I said nothing of the sort. I just said it was strange. Perhaps they were waiting to see what the police said as far as a motive before they reported on the no-doubt inflammatory nature of a white guy who killed 3 Muslim college students. Perhaps they were too busy worrying about Rosie O'Donnell's breakup with her wife or Brian Williams suspension. I don't know. I don't claim to know. It's just strange, and I don't think it's wrong to ask why.

I skipped ahead when I read this so apologies if y'all've mentioned this already. As for the three Muslim folks shot by the white guy, the media is making an attempt to whip it up into "Atheists versus Muslims" now. I've seen three or four articles so far pumping this spin. Making sure to mention how the killer is an atheist, an admirer of Christopher Hitchens and Dawkins and Harris.

At least the media has actually included Dawkin's and Harris's responses in two of the reports, condemning the murders of course. But think about it. This murderer didn't cry Allahu akhbar (sp) when he shot those young persons. He was simply a nutjob who spewed his hateful nonsense about religions on Facebook. If possible, I've gotten more disgusted with the media than ever. Is that even possible? Anyway, they aren't 'hushing' the atheist response like they did the few members of Islam who spoke out against the terror attacks in UK and the US and elsewhere. They even 'hushed' on the Christians speaking out against that idiot who murdered the doctor who did abortions. I can't tell if 'atheism' is a media darling right now or not.

• Nothing. Not even onions.

Okay, I have to admit I've had some rough times and I did cry when people for now reason showed kindness and understanding to me. It's just pretty damn confusing.

federicasilverlobsterBunks

Yes, I agree, it blindsides you, doesn't it? :smiley:

All right. Now wait a minute. 24 hours ago the media was accused of ignoring the killing of the 3 Muslim college students. Now the media is being accused of whipping up a frenzy about it.

It can't be both.

And the media is being accused of implying it's a hate crime, and the media is being accused of ignoring that it's a hate crime.

It can't be both.

@vinlyn said:
    All right. Now wait a minute. 24 hours ago the media was accused of ignoring the killing of the 3 Muslim college students. Now the media is being accused of whipping up a frenzy about it.

It can't be both.

Yes, it can....

And the media is being accused of implying it's a hate crime, and the media is being accused of ignoring that it's a hate crime.

It can't be both.

It depends whether it's the same 'media' saying it. Just because one twin says his shorts are blue, and one twin says they aren't, doesn't mean they're in this together...

Then we have to stop lumping together all media as "the media".

ok.

We as humans have an awful tendency to "lump" together.

Bunks
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@vinlyn said:
    We as humans have an awful tendency to "lump" together.

Yeah, I tend to think of it as the sin of convenience, in such cases.

vinlyn

humans is in itself, a lumpified term....

vinlynsilver
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I loved MASH when I was a kid and watching it later in life still made me tear up a time or two. Besides chasing the women around, Hawkeye was like my male role model (Dad was passed on by then) until WKRP came out and it changed to Dr. Johnny Fever for a decade or 2.

I still tear up when those poor turkeys get thrown from a plane.
  • I loved MASH when I was a kid

Me too . . . oh wait . . . not this:

Mashed potato made on one occasion by my grandfather with a whole tub of butter and thick cream and smooth whipping, remains with me as a culinary highlight. That is what 'bangers and mash' is for Brits (sausages and mashed potatos). He made it with cutlets, he was a trained chef.

Did not make me cry with joy or sadness at his parting . . . so off topic . .

. . . and now back to the crying . . .

Jeffrey
  • want want

lobstersilver