Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

If Karma is real why do horrific things happen to good people?

13»

Comments

• I am curious what the benefit of debating the nature of kamma is.

My apologies, the quote feature does not work on my phone.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

For some it gives notions and ideas they may not have hitherto considered. For others, it is a way of establishing their own thoughts, which might have previously been meandering.

Feel free to join in if you wish, but if not, then just sit back, read, mark, and digest.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    edited February 2015

Yes, Federica makes a good point. These discussions help clarify our own beliefs about karma. But, also, such examinations are an intrinsic part of human nature. And, my view of karma has changed significantly over time due to discussions here.

silver
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

@Amthorn it is a discussion board, after all :) Debate and discussion is what happens here, for the most part.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

And, how many books (or parts of books) have been written -- including by monks -- about a topic that is supposedly not supposed to be pondered?

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

In addition to what @vinlyn said, you realize that in some traditions, monks and nuns debate as part of their training? It's fascinating to watch them do so, there are some videos on youtube. Discussion and debate are encouraged in the sangha I belong to. What might be the benefit of not debating it? It runs through all of Buddhism, it's pretty hard to just leave it out entirely.

• sweet I have a retort to 'there are no atheists in a fox hole'. I can say 'even Christ thought God had forsaken him somewhat (at least he exclaimed that). Never thought of that.

Buddhadragon
  • @vinlyn I wouldn't be mad if it is me :) I believe a lot of things.

• As long as there’s the view that a real self is the
    owner, perpetrator and inheritor of kamma, that view supports
    patterns of feeling good or bad about it, and of doing some-
    thing about it. When that view is relinquished, there is peace,
    because there’s nothing to do. But it’s not that there’s the
    view of being a self who is independent of kamma, or the
    view that there’s no such thing as kamma. In the domain
    of kamma, of cause and effect, then skills around kamma
    have to be exercised, and in fact are necessary to come
    out of tangling in the aggregates. Then kamma can cease
    in the Deathless.

Kamma and End of Kamma
    Ajahn Sucitto P 151

http://forestsanghapublications.org/assets/book/Kamma_and_the_end_of_kamma_-_Ajahn_Sucitto.pdf

JeffreyBunksHamsaka
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@vinlyn said:
    What if you're reborn into The Inquisition?

I can get my Mel Brooks on at last :p

youtu.be/LnF1OtP2Svk

vinlynkarastiRowan1980lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Or astounded them with their bravery, resilience and stoic good humour....

HamsakaKundoBuddhadragon
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

@federica said:
    Or astounded them with their bravery, resilience and stoic good humour....

Exactly what I wonder sometimes. Since none of us here are privy to full understanding of karma and DO, is sickness or even death 'bad' karma, at all?

Sure the hell seems like it!!

• @Hamsaka said:
    Sure the hell seems like it!!

. . . here be dragons . . .
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_be_dragons

Rowan1980

I would love to have a globe that said 'here be dragons' on it.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Reminds me of the title of the book I just got this morning by Thich Nhat Hanh.

No Mud, No Lotus
    Hamsaka
    edited February 2015

@Nichy said:
    I look at Karma from a very scientific point of view, Karma is a reaction to your action, although she's doing good, however being a bad place doing good doesn't mean she's not in danger of getting hurt,

just like running in to a burning house trying to save someone that a good karma, however there's a possibility that you might get hurt.

That was my much less well articulated point in my first post on this thread. How could 'karma' be 'separated' from the context in which she was murdered? As if the wrongness of her death (because of her deep essential goodness) was not a direct result of where she was. It can't be separated without the question becoming absurd.

• @Hamsaka said:

Indeed. Unfortunately baby dragons in other dimensions are not allowed to provide four dimensional globes to the human realm. Sorry.

Hamsaka
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Hamsaka said:

I'd love that too... especially on a t-shirt!

HamsakalobsterDavid
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Maybe some people share their karma.

Without bringing in fate or a Planner and just sticking with karma as both causation and negative/positive flow.

Maybe a compassionate person suffering shows the positive by being a lesson and bringing others closer.

I'm not sure if I worded that right.
    BuddhadragonlobsterRowan1980
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

This thought occurred to me while pondering this thread. Feel free to tear it down if it's wrong.

Buddhism does not attempt to explain why life isn't fair. It tells us how to alleviate suffering.

mmoBuddhadragonlobsterRowan1980
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I think the First Noble Truth means that suffering is inevitable unless you are enlightened.

mmoKundo