Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Good God. Buddha found decorating crucifix.

Gotama Christ or was it Jesus Shakyamuni the well known Son and religion starter was found nailed to the Bo tree for sitting in a sacrificial way. From this we learn:

• The importance of wood
  • God and Buddha are related by symbology
  • Existence is suffering for Daddy's little boy

Are you a lamb follower/cross believer? Personally I find Christ a Bodhisattva or manifestation of compassion, so I like the symbology of sacrificing gods.

How do you feel about all this?

yagranatamanKundommo

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2015

Rather nice image to perceive.
    Can you tell us anything about the relic itself?

How old is it?
    Where is it?

Most carved crucifixes and effigies were dedicated to someone's memory, or something....

Interesting.

vinlyn
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited February 2015

@lobster said:

Gotama Christ or was it Jesus Shakyamuni the well known Son and religion starter was found nailed to the Bo tree for sitting in a sacrificial way. From this we learn:

• The importance of wood
    • God and Buddha are related by symbology
    • Existence is suffering for Daddy's little boy

Are you a lamb follower/cross believer? Personally I find Christ a Bodhisattva or manifestation of compassion, so I like the symbology of sacrificing gods.

How do you feel about all this?

I actually think it's really beautiful. Personally I agree with @lobster 's thoughts on Christ being a Boddhisattva. We can glean pearls of wisdom from many different paths - as crappy as some followers may be

_ /\ _

lobsterBunks
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@lobster said:Are you a lamb follower/cross believer? Personally I find Christ a >Bodhisattva or manifestation of compassion, so I like the symbology of sacrificing >gods.

I think it's fitting...after all, the Buddha sacrificed his life - his time with his wife and child and comfort of the palace - to dare to seek answers to the crapfest life ends up being for all of us.

I don't even know quite what a bodhisattva is - let alone pronounce it...heck, according to ukes, I can't even pronounce Buddha properly. :p

lobster
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

A boddhisattva, (pronounced: body satva - meaning boddhi = awakened; sattva = being - for want of a better word) is and this is very simply put: 'someone who realises the nature of everything and decides to put off becoming a buddha, and vows to return (repeatedly) to illuminate others to understand the simple and elegant truth of the dharma...

Easier said than done it is...

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2015

Found it.
    But it seems our @lobster found it long ago....

anataman

This article explains matters further. Quite educational.

Toshsova
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@federica said:
    This article explains matters further. Quite educational.

It was interesting...what is hilarious is that the 90-year-old ministers won't even talk to each other.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

That explains a lot...

Thanks for doing the research @federica - I wasn't very keen on doing it myself...

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2015

@dhammachick said:
    I actually think it's really beautiful

Me too.

Remember when the Buddha was under the Bo tree he was near to death from self imposed uncompromising devotion to the path. Christ too refused to compromise with the perceived wisdom. Both are acts of volition. Then something extraordinary happens. They achieve enlightenment/return to the timeless unborn Father/Further shore. Job done?

Not quite. They come back. Thanks gals.

Christ comes back and vanishes, no point in being stubborn about Messianic needs. The Buddha in more favourable conditions returns to expound. Yeah!

Many years later the twins are back together, the Chritian Mystics and deep practitioners are inspiring. The superficial dharma doctoring is no better than its practice.

CHRIST BE WITH YOU
    http://web.archive.org/web/20070210031357/http://pages.britishlibrary.net/edjason/christian/
    OM MANI PEME HUM

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

I'm glad the Buddha was considered 'enough of a god' to paste onto a crucifix, or stick or the like, as so many other big name gods have been from the beginning of time.

lobster
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited February 2015

You realize with that title, I expected to see a picture of Buddha hanging Christmas decorations on a crucifix? Those verbs are tricky.

Does the picture have any context? Christians didn't invent the symbol of the cross anymore than Nazis invented the swastika. As far as the two combined, it really doesn't make any sense to me other than as an expression of the universal search for Truth. The cross represents the risen Christ. Can't see how that metaphor has to do with Buddha the Enlightened One. Christ wasn't Enlightened, he was the Son of God.

• The cross generally known as the Amida cross. It has quite a history during the Edo period in Japan. Christians converts would affix Amida to their cross to ward off suspicion

A fine novel "Silence" by Shusaku Endo takes place during the Edo period. It will give you a pretty good idea of what happened. I would also like to suggest "Buddhism" by Louis Frederic. This is an excellent work part of the Flammarion Iconographic Guides series.

ZenshinDavidlobster
  • Christ wasn't Enlightened, he was the Son of God.

God not enlightened? Well, well . . . who would have thought it . . . :p

• @lobster said:

Heh. Guess I should have said the Christ of the New Testaments wasn't enlightened. He was without sin but his purpose was to suffer for us. Now the Rabi Jesus might have been enlightened, because he was human.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited February 2015

I enjoyed learning/reading about it...itself....but I admit....It feels like an oxymoron to my eyeballs. Like when you see things "blue raspberry"... :confused: My brain can't combine what my eyes are seeing....

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@lobster said:

Oooh dem's fighting words. Wait........ let me get some popcorn................ :p

silverVastmindlobster
  • After a few visits here, I've found @lobster to be quite effective with his click-bait thread titles. :3

sovaKundo
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Hey, don't encourage him!

lobster