Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The essence of Dharma?

DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

On another thread there was a question about whether we can separate out an "essence" of Dharma from all the cultural expressions of Dharma which are represented by the various Buddhist schools.

The best contender I can see is the principle of conditionality ( paticcasamuppada / idappacayata ), which underlies many key Buddhist teachings including the Four Noble Truths, dependent origination, anatta and sunyata, and so on.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Whatever it is, it's not something else.

• awareness

David
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

The four seals.

seeker242
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I gotcha @ how....

(Sorry. Really weird day.... :blush: )

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@federica
    My personal preference would have been me posting that photo with no other explanation.
    (I'll see that weird day and raise you 2 more)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@how said:
    federica
    My personal preference would have been me posting that photo with no other explanation.

Go right ahead, be my guest, I can edit accordingly.

(I'll see your two, and raise the stakes with a really barmy customer....)

Hamsaka
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

Understanding the 4 Noble Truths in their 3 phases and 12 aspects means understanding Dependent Origination, I think the 4 Noble Truths and Dependent Origination are one and the same, understanding the 4 noble truths is the cessation of suffering and the way to leading to the cessation of suffering.

edited March 2015

@bookworm said:
    Understanding the 4 Noble Truths in their 3 phases and 12 aspects means understanding Dependent Origination, I think the 4 Noble Truths and Dependent Origination are one and the same, understanding the 4 noble truths is the cessation of suffering and the way to leading to the cessation of suffering.

Like for example being in pain and realizing your pain is caused because your hand is on a hot stove, even though you still have your hand on it, you know that it will stop hurting when you remove your hand from it. I think the essence of Dharma will be kind of like that for a first stage ariya.

Bunks

What is idappacayata?

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@bookworm said:
    What is idappacayata?

"Conditionality"

bookworm
  • buddha said that anything that was conditional was not the self.

Earthninja

@Jeffrey said:
    buddha said that anything that was conditional was not the self.

"Transient alas ! are all component things.
    Subject are they to birth-and then decay:
    Having gained birth to death the life flux swings:
    Bliss truly dawns when unrest dies away!"

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2015

What does the third stanza mean? @Shoshin

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    @Jeffrey, with birth comes the process of death.

Having gained birth, the life flux swings to death.
    JeffreyShoshin
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2015

@Jeffrey said:
    buddha said that anything that was conditional was not the self.

Only if you define that self as..... deathlessness itself.

• @SpinyNorman said:

Your thoughts?

No thoughts. :p

HamsakaMigyur
    edited March 2015

@Jeffrey said:
    What does the third stanza mean? Shoshin

(Line. 'Stanza' is the whole verse....)
    I leave the response to Shoshin.

@Jeffrey, @oneself summed it up, but here's a bit more info....

Pali stanza recited at funerals, from J B Disanayaka’s The Monk and the Peasant (1993)
    http://www.slguardian.org/?p=4906

In a nutshell... The impermanent nature of all things( everything "is" a constant state of flux ) and when one can come to terms with this, peace of mind will also be found....

I came across it in a Dharma book I read many moons ago, I can't remember the book title but can always remember this stanza...

The stanza really speaks for itself... I hope this helps @Jeffrey....

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran

emptiness and compassion

boobysattva
  • windfallwindfall Explorer

Is the Dharma only in Buddhist practices? Why do only humans both laugh and cry?

• @windfall Thich Nhat Hanh said in his book about the Diamond Sutra that 'the dharma is not the dharma.. that is how it IS the dharma'. he went further to explain that wisdom wherever we find it is the dharma and the dharma isn't just a box locked up of certain sutras (as some think it is merely a certain 'canon')

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2015

When I started calling myself a Buddhist on a Sufi forum, many were disappointed. After all naming or aligning is an indication of containment rather than freedom.
    http://www.mto.org/aos/en/Complete_Book.html
    However being free of freedom is sometimes skilful.

I find Buddhist like teachings in other religions or even in no formal label. I find there are gaps or complementary and presently relevant understandings in a myriad of blogs, art, films, crafts, psychology etc etc that throw a reflective potential on our Dharma.

If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.
    --YODA

Invincible_summeremichelleCinorjer
  • Steve_BSteve_B Veteran

I think the essence is:

1. Life is miserable.
    2. You make it that way.
    3. Stop doing that.
    4. Do these things: Think right, talk right, act right, etc.
    lobsterDairyLamaCinorjer
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@lobster said:
    When I started calling myself a Buddhist on a Sufi forum, many were disappointed. After all naming or aligning is an indication of containment rather than freedom.

However being free of freedom is sometimes skilful.

Probably too much of anything is a hindrance.

lobster
  • ToshTosh Veteran

@Steve_B said:
    I think the essence is:

1. Life is miserable.

It's not though is? There is misery, we get sick, we get old, loved ones die, etc, but it's definitely NOT all miserable.

Zenshinlobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2015

^^^ It ain't all suffering/unsatisfactory/miserable BUT it is dukkha. :(

Dukkha is based on the very duality and transitory nature of existence. So the fact that we get to the end of the ice cream tub is the beginning of the transition into the misery and guilt of having a second tub/ice cream restraining order/sugar addiction etc.

Existence is not all existence/joy/emptiness ...

However for another thread we might consider if arising and transition can be overcome through enlightenment ...

:)

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@lobster said:> ^^^ It ain't all suffering/unsatisfactory/miserable BUT it is dukkha.

Sheer luxury!

lobsterEarthninja
  • @SpinyNorman said:
    On another thread there was a question about whether we can separate out an "essence" of Dharma from all the cultural expressions of Dharma which are represented by the various Buddhist schools.

We cannot, because the essence is the basis for everything.

• @Barah said:
    We cannot, because the essence is the basis for everything

Define 'essence'

• Nothing to grasp and none needed

• @Lionduck said:
    Define 'essence'

Presence.

Oh you and your 'presence'.
    Does it come gift-wrapped?

lobsterBarah
    edited November 2015

Presents ( oops, wrong thread! )

lobsterBarah
  • LionduckLionduck Veteran
    edited November 2015

We wish you a merry Buhhdamas
    We wish you a merry Buddhamas
    We wish you a merry Buddhamas
    And a happy Dharma Year
    Good karma we bring to you
    Wherever you are
    Good karma for Buddhamas
    And a happy Dharma Year

=)=)=):3B)B)

May your Presence be calm and serene o:)
    And may all your presents all be delicious <3

Peace to all

lobsterJeffrey
  • BarahBarah Veteran
    edited November 2015

@federica said:
    Oh you and your 'presence'.

Should I change my mid every Monday?

@federica said:
    Does it come gift-wrapped?

Yes, there is a gift!

@Lionduck said: We wish you a merry Buhhdamas

Hurrah! Can we celebrate that now? Then I will have time to build up a good level of bah-humbuggery for the so-called "festive season" in December, when Santa who is really Satan steals the souls of children by bribing them with presence, er I mean presents.

• Thought you knew - Santa is really a wood elf with grandiose dreams.
    Satan retired to a flat in the South End and now teaches knitting.
    God rented out his flat in Soho to a dwarf king and spends most of his time around Monaco.

You/we can celebrate any time, any where. Go ahead and Build up a BIG reserve.

• I rather like this essence, which I feel expresses the essence of dharma in a single word.

Sit.

The gate of ease and joy is found everywhere, it is truly the gate-less gate as you are it and not separated from Buddhas of the three times. Here, mundane and sacred have no more relevance. Here, radiance springs out of forms and space. Meeting the true person within this is our great task and joy. The self fulfillment Samadhi. The Samadhi in which one receives and uses the self. Truly know yourself. Forget yourself. Let all Dharmas, let the myriad things come forth, illuminate and reflect.

Please, sit.

The complete text is both poetic, incorporating the Tao influence of zen and worth a read, as it expands the idea of sit into being, mindfulness and the full range of Buddhist experiential knowledge
    http://www.zenforuminternational.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11323#p179068

silverZenshinWalker