Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Good karma or sometimes

Rather than discussing karma, I wanted to know how people felt about good and skillful actions. Do you always try to create good karma, do onto others, what goes around comes around, or do you find yourself having break this rule constantly? At most I have always been good at keeping this up. Now that I think about it, I do sometimes forget the negative actions that I have caused, it's not so easy. I can see how my time off meditation practice may be a factor. I think that karma is going to be there no matter what and that we should not find ourselves constantly having to break them by doing something negative towards others, or let it become a bad habit.

Shoshin

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@namarupa

To the degree that selflessness unfolds, good and skillful actions follow suite.
    To the degree that my selfishness unfolds, poor and unskillful actions result.
    I guess I pay more attention to whether my actions result in folks responding with selfishness or selflessness than in trying to suss out karma's equations.

lobsternamarupaVastmindRowan1980
  • mmommo Veteran

'Karma' for me is related to mental formations and feelings in the mind. It happens at every moment of my time. I haven't tried to go out there to do good things, although I have plan to do some volunteering work at a local charity. On a daily basis, when I am not mindful, my mind becomes clouded by all sort of nasty things and peace can't stay with me.

So, I try to watch my mind closely throughout the day to make sure any potential negative are kept away. I also notice suffering of other people (e.g. A friend who can't help talking about her weight and body image every 10 mins) around me. People are just so absorbed by their judgments and can't really enjoy the rest of their perfectly fine attributes.

namarupalobsterRowan1980
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2015

There is someone but selflesness could mean generosity. Who is generous? Not a skhanda because Buddha said that the skhandas were not the self. How come self clinging is there?

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited April 2015

@Jeffrey
    Perhaps..

Seen from a heart wide enough to transcend discriminative thought, the skandhas are innately void, unstained and pure.
    Here, selflessness or generosity needs no notions of self and other to be itself.

Selflessness can also describe an awakening from the ego's dream of itself.
    If one needs a self beyond that, consider it to possibly be so intractably interconnected to all sentience to the degree that it makes the concept of a separate self...moot..

namarupalobsterShoshin
  • Thank you all for the responses! =)

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited April 2015

I just do what I feel is the right thing to do in any given situation, but for the most part I'm not really thinking about it, it's just done...

Accumulation of wholesome or unwholesome karma and more or less merits in the merit bank don't enter the equation...

I either feel "ok" about doing it ( a sense of satisfaction) and if I don't feel ok/right about it then, I'll try to remedy it, if possible...

I think the important thing to remember is Thought > Word > Deed... The "Intention" behind the "action"...

BTW In the conventional sense I just see the Skandhas as the neuropathways that are formed that we habitually adhere to in a reactive way, and which with effort they can be changed creating more wholesome habits/Skandhas

Buddhadragonlobsternamarupa