Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Nepal disaster

adeleadele Blackpool Rocks! Explorer

Hi, as Buddhists what can we do spiritually to help those affected by the quake and avalanche in Nepal this week?
As a Christian I would have said prayers and gone to mass but what practices can be helpful now as Buddhists - besides the obvious donating? I really don't know what the equivalent of intercessory prayers would be now - or would chanting help?
thanks.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Dedicate Compassion and Loving Kindness (Metta and Karuna) to all victims, helpers and those indirectly affected (distant relatives)...
    I recite the Blue Medicine Buddha Mantra, and complete 2 malas (4 circuits of 108 beads in all) expressing the desire that each bead represents 100 people. That makes just over 43,000 people so hopefully that more than covers it...

JeffreyBunks
  • adeleadele Blackpool Rocks! Explorer

thanks Federica that does help - i do have the medicine buddha puja from samye ling too which i could recite - i hadn't thought of using it.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Tonglen is also a wonderful practice. Pema Chodron does a wonderful job teaching it and if you google her and tonglen, you will find both written and video resources. It's quite easy.

Mostly, it is about intention. The more formal or ritual practices are just ways of directing intention.

thanks Karasti, I will look her up on you tube.

• Please donate if you can, whatever you can, and pass the link along to friends and family.... Thank You. Namaste.

http://www.mercycorps.org/

• Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    My sangha will be holding a Medicine Buddha Puja for the affected people of Nepal tomorrow evening.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited April 2015

Sending love, light and peace to everyone there.

I'll be hanging some prayer flags today.

I found this

Shoshin

... and this

also this