Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

community gardens

sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

Do you have a community garden near where you stay?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yes; we live on a beautiful estate, built by a company called 'Barratt Homes' in the 1960's. (The founder only died last year.) I swear virtually every single inhabitant cares for their garden, and it's a pleasure to walk round it. The estate is built near a local lake, and it's a beautiful place to walk round....

Jeffrey
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

@federica -- Sounds beautiful. Sign me up. :)

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@sova said:
    Do you have a community garden near where you stay?

Living on the island we are fortunate in that we are surrounded by native bush and bush walks plus there also a regional park "Whakanewha"

When living in Auckland I lived near the Botanical Gardens which was a 5 minute drive from where I was living...When my children were toddlers we spent many beautiful weekends walking amongst the flowers, scrubs and trees ....

Or...

Did you mean community vegetable gardens in which case on the island I know of two (there could be more) where locals can reap what they sow :)

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

We had one in the town we last lived in, but it was a 30 minute drive which made daily tending difficult sometimes. Thankfully, we have a big enough yard to have our own garden now. Our town has a community children's garden, which is really nice and the kids love it. They take home a portion of what they grow and donate the rest to the food shelf/pantry.

@karasti a similar thing happens on the island, towards the end of the week any excess veges that are picked, the organisers of the gardens normally give/donate them to the local community support group that acts as a foodbank.... "Waste not want not"

Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    Did you mean community vegetable gardens in which case on the island I know of two (there could be more) where locals can reap what they sow :)

I remember some lovely gardens near the Auckland Museum @Shoshin. There was a big gold fish pond and some green houses from memory. Always a nice place to wander.

@Bunks said:

@Bunks, the museum is in the Auckland Domain

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

Was thinking more of the community vegetable and fruit garden, but I'm happy to hear that my comrades of varying Ainglish dialects have plenty of mind-chilling greenspace abound.

We have so many community gardens here in Cleveland, and more keep cropping up. It's truly great! Very community building and you get to share the harvest!

Community is key, and community is people, so I'm glad. Not really much to add but figure I'd chime in. Thank you all for your replies (so far).

I wonder if an indoor (all-year) community garden would be as effective at bringing people together. How to make a doorway that is both weather-proof and inviting... hmmm

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@sova, allotments have become so popular that most Council authorities have a long waiting list of applicants. There's no question that such activities bring communities together particularly in built-up areas and cities, where paradoxically, people have a tendency to remain isolated... There are occasional heart-warming newspaper and magazine articles about such communities rallying and opening up due to collective interest and enthusiasm for such creative and therapeutic activity....

edited May 2015

@sova said:
    Was thinking more of the community vegetable and fruit garden, but I'm happy to hear that my comrades of varying Ainglish dialects have plenty of mind-chilling greenspace abound.

We have so many community gardens here in Cleveland, and more keep cropping up. It's truly great! Very community building and you get to share the harvest!

Community is key, and community is people, so I'm glad. Not really much to add but figure I'd chime in. Thank you all for your replies (so far).

I wonder if an indoor (all-year) community garden would be as effective at bringing people together. How to make a doorway that is both weather-proof and inviting... hmmm

@sova the local community board put in place a plan to plant fruit trees throughout the populated areas of the island...Bark top soil was deposited on the corners of some streets and locals could help themselves, the local board also supplied free young fruit trees which they could plant on the grass verge outside their properties...

Once grown and starting to fruit, passers-by can help themselves, especially some of the school children who are often sent to school without having any breakfast (their parent are struggling to make ends meet)....

lobster

A modern twist to Johnny Appleseed...

@federica said:
    A modern twist to Johnny Appleseed...

True...

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    Once grown and starting to fruit, passers-by can help themselves, especially some of the school children who are often sent to school without having any breakfast (their parent are struggling to make ends meet)....

Awesome, will suggest this to our council. The problem with the litigious society we presently live in, is that the council might be sued for anyone falling due to rotting windfall. By passing on the responsibility to local residents ... we might have a solution ... mmm ... more fruit trees for common ... plan is forming ...

I was chairman of a project that created a community garden based polytunnel. Must go see that tunnel some time ...

@lobster, you are far more likely to see trees snapped in half by nasty little spiteful vandals than to incur the restrictive and conditional attitude of the local Council....

• lobsterlobster Veteran

'nasty little spiteful vandals' = 'our' kids
    not literally of course, sure we have all raised paragons ...

... just in case anybody was wondering ...

and now back to the growing ...