Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

On Mantras and Malas

I come from a background of Sufism, that is what I was before coming into Buddhism, my seeking refuge. So the concept of using a mala is very familiar to me, in Sufism it is called Dhikr, or remembrance of the Divine. It was something I found comfort in and used very often.
I have been saying " Om mani padme hum", and was wondering what else may be said. I could just google it, but I am more interested in hearing what has actually benefited the people here, personally, over the years. What mantra have you used, that has benefited you, either in achieving a meditative state, focusing the mind, etc.
I understand that in some traditions, this can only be gotten from a teacher. However, as I work the evening shift at my job, I do not have the opportunity to attend the one Buddhist Gathering a week at the local Unitarian Universalist Church in my area. So any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all for your help and feedback.

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I am a Tibetan practitioner and one of the mantras we use is the 100 syllable mantra of Vajrasattva, which I really enjoy. It's too long for me to type out, but you can find it written online if you search and examples of it on youtube.
    We also use the Green Tara mantra, which is a healing practice. om tare tuttare ture soha

Kundo
  • JohnMacJohnMac Dr Scotland Veteran

You might consider Nichiren Buddhist practice, using the mantra nam myoho renge kyo there is lots of information on the Intem.youtube.com/watch?list=PLslJG2fxCfUSLJr2MMk7IGSmFhZLt4nNt&v=22R4HFD0j3Irnet about its use and effects. Here's a link to Tina Turner chanting

• reb1220reb1220 Explorer

Thanks karasti! Thanks JohnMac!

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited May 2015

Vajrasattava, Om Mani Padme Hum, and this last one I break out sometimes before or after Vipassana meditation, Om Ah Hung. Sometimes I use a mala, sometimes I find it distracting and just say the mantra.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited May 2015

@reb1220 said:
    I have been saying " Om mani padme hum", and was wondering what else may be said.

Hello and welcome <3

You can say 'Allah Akbar' as a Buddhist mantra if up for it (heretics only)

Ideally Nothing is said but that is a little advanced ... ;)
    http://web.archive.org/web/20031105171345/http://tooting.webspace.fish.co.uk/inter/

Here is one of my favourite 'Buddhist' mantras as a complete Tantric practice for beginners and ex dervishes.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20040223062458/http://pages.britishlibrary.net/lobster/buddha/rinpoche.htm

Start with the short mantra by all means. <3

• ZenniZenni Veteran

Hello @reb1220 - like you, the first mantra I learn is "Om mani Padme hum".
    The Green Tara mantra is the second one I learn (from here =) )

• reb1220reb1220 Explorer

Thank you Lobster, I found the article well done. I know in Sufism, at least the Naqshbandi Haqqani school I came from, dhikr was a very big part of the practice. 1500 "Allah", 200 Salawat, 100 Qul Huwa lahu ahad. And meditation was there, but in meditation " murqabah' we had to picture that the leader of the order was there, and that he would draw in all our misdeeds and fill us with light. It was just too much for me to truly, honestly believe. But one thing that I brought from it was a great love for mantra.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

The nice thing is, you can really use anything that resonates, as a mantra.

I have in the past, used:

"Go Placidly amid the noise and haste..."

"Make me a Channel of your Peace...."

"The one that I feed..."

(The last, in relation to this tale.)

Simply reciting one word, and using it as an anchor-point, can also be effective...

anatamanKundo