Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tong len and how awesome it is

sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

Tong len is usually translated as "giving and taking" but actually (I learned this yesterday), the practice is to take first, and then give.

What do you take? Pain, and bad karma. What's bad karma? Future pain. So you take present and future pain from someone, dissolve it/destroy it/make it shatter into light and love inside you, and you give them the goodness, the virtue, the joy and the love.

I wanted to share that I've started listening to these lectures on Tonglen
http://www.acidharma.org/aci/online/practices/practice3.html

So far they are really wonderful. Recommending them to anyone who is trying to learn skillful ways to grow their compassion and steadfastly practice toward Enlightenment.

May all the barriers that put up a false distinction between "me" and "you" or dissolve.

lobsterCinorjerJeffreyVastmindShoshinBunksEarthninjaDavidSpoogleZenshinNamadayagrmisecmisc1

Comments

• SpoogleSpoogle Explorer

yes sova, Tonglen is a beautiful and powerful practice indeed :) I think it was Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche that introduced it to the west, could be wrong though. This is something that Pema Chodron discussed extensively in her Noble Heart 12 session retreat. This practice really does bring great joy and peace to your heart.

Namaste :)

lobsterShoshinZenshinyagr