Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Are you ignorant?

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited August 2015 in Buddhism Basics

I iz.

Be very surprised if I knew everything. Some people think of the Buddha as a Lord Shiva on steroids, who knew everything, everywhere. That is ignorant of his humanity and our potential in my opinion.

Some people like to pretend they will be 'more serious seekers' in a post-life ethereal-zombie reanimation. Bit too ignorant for my simple minded nowness.

On the whole ignoring what is important and dwelling, even wallowing in ignorance is the human norm but not the only possibility ...

I try not to be ignorant. Are you ignorant in the Buddhist sense of the word? What is the nature of your ignorance and knowledge?

silver

Comments

• What story?

• @pegembara said:
    What story?

ah ha! You are ignorant of my abilility to change my initial post? When I say story, I mean story relating to ignorance and knowledge ... B) Sorry for the confusion ... :3

pegembara
  • Life is complicated, and huge. I am ignorant in most areas. I only have time in life to be knowledgeable in a few areas. And very knowledgeable in very few.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Oi dunno... ;)

silver
  • "But you must never eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil because when you eat from it, you will certainly die." Genesis Bible

We have all eaten from the tree of "knowledge". This knowledge is ignorance(avijja) in Buddhism which starts the whole samsaric cycle. This is wrong knowledge.

Ain't this confusing?

KarikoPuppiessilver
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

I can't recall any past lives so yes I must be ignorant. :p

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

My ignorance depends on there being truth.

My truth would be proof that I am ignorant.

I don't have a truth, I only have that which makes the most sense at the time.

I am still ignorant but less and less so in a negative way thanks to Buddha.

I do not want to lose my ignorance to the greatest degree because then I lose my wonder.

I will settle for aiming for the Eightfold path and let the answers fall where they may.

KarikoPuppiessilver
  • KarikoPuppiesKarikoPuppies Veteran
    edited August 2015

I understand everyone in some way. Eventhough I was born in korea which has over 1500years of history of buddhism and eventhough I grew up in a buddhist family I did not know anything about buddha(s). I simply thought Shakyamuni buddha was someone who realized something really amazing through some kind of practice but did not tell people what that realization was. I lived that way for a long long time. I loved Jesus because I was looking for someone who can tell me what the truth is.
    I became a buddhist not because I wanted to but because I wanted to survive. I don't want to tell everyone specifically but I can say that through Shakyamuni buddha's teaching I found a way to live.
    I want to mention that Shakyamuni buddha has The Ten Epithets of a Buddha.( other buddhas have theirs too )
    If you study them you will know roughly why we respect buddhas.
    I will just leave it there.
    We wouldn't be here on earth if we were not ignorant ( as in Avidyā ).
    Avidyā is something that we cannot get rid of by increasing knowledge.
    it is something to do with the evil and good in us.
    oh well,
    I am just a very very ignorant sentient being : ) though I am trying everyday to get rid of some ignorance even just a little bit if I can...its hard!
    I am so grateful to Shakyamuni Buddha for his teachings. I cannot describe that in words.
    Thank you !!!

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

I'm looking at my phone right now, sitting on a giant rock that is orbiting a giant ball of fire.
    I have no idea how I got here and yet here I am.
    Ignorant isn't even a strong enough word haha.
    We humans love to pretend to know what's going on, yet we really have no idea. It's incredible.

silverWalkernlighten
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@Earthninja said:
    I'm looking at my phone right now, sitting on a giant rock that is orbiting a giant ball of fire.
    Ignorant isn't even a strong enough word haha.
    We humans love to pretend to know what's going on, yet we really have no idea. It's incredible.

That's partly why I figure we should at least have fun with it.

Earthninjalobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@lobster
    Hmmmm.. You are an endless source of good questions to ask.

**Are you ignorant? **

Only when that "you" is separated in anyway from any "others".

lobster
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@Earthninja said:

I'm looking at my phone right now, sitting on
    a giant rock that is orbiting a giant ball of fire.

Ignorant isn't even a strong enough word - haha.

We humans love to pretend to know what's going on,
    yet we really have no idea. It's incredible.
    ~~~

Well, you're ignorant enough to be a poet. <3

WalkerEarthninja
  • @how said:
    **Are you ignorant? **

Only when that "you" is separated in anyway from any "others".

Exactly so. Can not remember if I am Hinayana or Mahayana BUT ignorance like wisdom, love and the good stuff is shared.

Nirvana for everyone. Ignorance for no one. Iz plan! =)

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited August 2015

@lobster said:

Are you ignorant in the Buddhist sense of the word? What is the nature of your ignorance and knowledge?

From the Buddhist perspective, Yes "I AM" on both accounts ie of false sense of self which lacks complete practical knowledge of Dependant Arising-(which leads to defilements in this false sense of self) & of person and phenomena (what I do know is still Samsaric based knowledge- at the moment emptiness is just 'background music' playing as I go about my day to day conventional interactions, on occasions where sense of self is not present the volume is increased ) ...

Thus I have heard: Tis only when non-conceptual awareness makes its presence felt does true [contaminant-free] wisdom arise...

The nature of both 'my' ignorance and knowledge is "Samsaric based".... but I too have a plan....with the help of all my selves (that wander in the ignorance of samsara's dependant arising's forest), I'm using the "I" (a convenient analytic device) to work on dismantling both forms of ignorance and samsaric based knowledge, and at the same time I'm trying not to let my 'self' know of my plans :) which I've found is not an easy task..... I guess that's bloody Samsara for ya :lol:

"Round and round the cycle goes, keeping awareness on its toes! But alas "I" have found... that ignorance "IS" bliss when "I AM" not around !"

Earthninjalobster
  • I feel that the Buddhist concept of avidya (avijja) describes a lack of skill as opposed to a lack of knowledge. If our true nature is just plain ignorance then there really is no hope. I think there's a slight error in translation here.

I think our true nature would be more akin to wondrous awareness than ignorance.

EarthninjalobsterVastmind
  • Thanks guys :)

Well said @ourself, understanding and seeing ignorance and samsara for what they are, inherently empty, is the basis of wisdom. Is wisdom empty?

Here is the answer:

@Shoshin said:
    Tis only when non-conceptual awareness makes its presence felt does true [contaminant-free] wisdom arise...

Ignorance is grasping at ghosts, phantoms, pasts gone, futures unlived, presents we are not in ... That is what we unravel, empty of our clinging attachments.

So wisdom is empty of ignorance and a 'wondrous awareness'.

Here come the chocolate box Buddhas ... real?
    http://dharmaflower.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Five-Wisdom-Buddhas.jpg

Namada
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Ignorance is not knowing things as they really are.

Or rather, wanting things to be what we want them to be.

bookworm
  • "Ignorance is not knowing things as they really are".

I want much, a lot of desires all the time, every minute, every second, I move, I blink, I scratch my self, wash the body, eat, my heart is pumping and so on...eventually this ship will go down.

WIll I die in Ignorance? Always tried so hard to stay alive, and not suffer.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@lobster sez "On the whole ignoring what is important and dwelling, even wallowing in ignorance is the human norm but not the only possibility ...

I try not to be ignorant. Are you ignorant in the Buddhist sense of the word? What is the nature of your ignorance and knowledge?"

I sez that's right and I try not to be ignorant, and I'm sure I'm a well-rounded ignoramus, and as a matter of fact believe I was scared stupid at an early age! :glasses:

• Yeah but you still get pizza even if ignorant right? :)

silver
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

I don't think i'm fully or truly ignorant, because I feel that I've seen for myself, that which the Buddha said is visible here and now.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

“He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him.
    He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him.
    He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him.
    He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him.”

lobster
  • I think most of us aware of the second Noble Truth; of ignorance being the cause of dukkha.

Many times we ignore the cycles of attraction and repulsion that propel our perpetually being embroiled in a continual samsara birthing

Do we ignore the karmic possibilities of the eightfold path as genuine knowledge, inspiration and effective action? I am sure we all are trying to engage with the way out ...

Are we pretend Buddhists, part time ultra spirituals? Seasonal meditators? Internal knowledge comes from real practical effort. We all know that.

Buddhadragonsilver
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

"Ignorance must not be perceived as a passive state of mere non-awareness; rather, it is a deluded state of mind, a fundamental misapprehension of the nature of reality.
    [...] Ignorance is not simply the absence of knowledge but rather it is the antithesis of knowledge; it is misknowledge, a force actively opposing knowledge."

(HH the Dalai Lama - "The World of Tibetan Buddhism")

I found this concept by the Dalai Lama of Ignorance being an active force opposing knowledge quite intriguing.
    I don't know, @lobster, if it is just a matter of real practical effort.
    Some people practice hard and wisdom never comes.

It has rather to do with "suspension of ignorance" by actively abiding on the path somehow, but without striving.

bookwormlobsterWalkerNamada
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

Just as in a pond of blue or red or white lotuses, some lotuses that are born and grow in the water thrive immersed in the water without rising out of it, and some other lotuses that are born and grow in the water rest on the water's surface, and some other lotuses that are born and grow in the water rise out of the water and stand clear, unwetted by it; so too, surveying the world with the eye of a Buddha, I saw beings with little dust in their eyes and with much dust in their eyes, with keen faculties and with dull faculties, with good qualities and with bad qualities, easy to teach and hard to teach, and some who dwelt seeing fear and blame in the other world.

https://suttacentral.net/en/mn26

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited August 2015

Thanks guys, <3

The Buddhist term for ignorance is Avidya and it is not just the want or absence of knowledge and wisdom. It also has attributes of delusion.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avidyā_(Buddhism)

Part of this delusion is looking for the cause and cessation of dukkha in the very components masking wisdom.

@DhammaDragon said:
    Some people practice hard and wisdom never comes.

It has rather to do with "suspension of ignorance" by actively abiding on the path somehow, but without striving.

There are many people here who display increasing wisdom. People are inherently wise, experienced, capable of great good. That is the part they resonate the most in others and as good companions offer to the best of their understanding.

We do strive for/actively abide in, our wisdom body ... well I do ... iz plan! :)

NamadaBuddhadragon
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran

@lobster said:
    I try not to be ignorant. Are you ignorant in the Buddhist sense of the word? What is the nature of your ignorance and knowledge?

I try to say goodbye and I choke
    I try to walk away and I stumble
    Though I try to hide it, it's clear
    My world crumbles when Ignorance is not there...

No joke. True true.

/Victor

• ShimShim Veteran

I am too ignorant to understand the ignorance described in this thread. :D
    "actively opposing knowledge"
    I must be ignorance personified.

• @Shim said:
    I am too ignorant to understand the ignorance described in this thread. :D

Not so.

For example we might read in the sutras about how a stream enterer is not born as a chicken, woman or only as a noble or god being and in ignorance run to the nearest Catholic Church for some sensible religion ...

Or we might seek a mature, modern interpretation of ancient prejudice and superstition. If you think none exists in dharma you are [spoiler alert] ignorant.

Thinking about things in psychological terms is helpful. For example the five to six realms:
    http://buddhism.about.com/od/basicbuddhistteachings/tp/Six-Realms-of-Existence.htm

The idea that 'hungry ghosts' exist in another dimension/realm may scare the simple minded or children. However these pictorial stories do nothing for those weary of cultural fairy tales as 'reality'. We can however find aspects of our persona that are sucking at dead suttas for nourishment like hungry ghosts ... Just packing my bags for the hell realms reserved for ignorant heretics :p

Shim