Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Course of Happiness

Saw in the news The Dalai Lama (PBUH) anounced a new free happiness course. Yeah!

I'll join.
http://www.actionforhappiness.org/10-keys-to-happier-living

Wot a plan! Today the individual. Tomorrow the world!

Maybe I will start with a new pair of socks?

BunksEarthninjaBuddhadragon

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

There is so much I could say.....

Best not......

:lol:

silverEarthninjaBuddhadragon
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Awesome socks can indeed bring fleeting happiness. I like fun socks!

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I wear odd socks.
    On purpose.
    I actually got a box of odd-socks for Christmas.
    Well.. actually, my mother did. But she gave them to me.

I do try to match them up as much as possible though.... whatamIlike....?!

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Hey Lobbie...Put a sock in it...or on it, eh?! O.o

Shoshin

They're wearing g-strings.

I'm crushed......

silverlobsterBuddhadragon
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited September 2015

Sorry 'bout the g-strings. :3

... meanwhile ... Here is the course curriculum I have signed up for:

WEEK 1: What really matters in life? Lots of things are important in life, but how should we decide what really matters to us? This session explores whether a greater focus on happiness and wellbeing might be better for all of us.

WEEK 2: What actually makes us happy? We're told that happiness comes from having more and earning more, but is this really true? Does happiness come from our circumstances or our inner attitudes? And can we learn how to be happier?

WEEK 3: Can we find peace of mind? Life can be highly stressful. In this session we'll explore how to deal effectively with life's ups and downs and cope with adversity. And we'll look at some skills which can help us be more resilient.

WEEK 4: How should we treat others? Our society appears increasingly individualistic and competitive. Is this just human nature or are we naturally altruistic too? How should we behave towards others - and can we learn to be more compassionate?.

WEEK 5: What makes for great relationships? We're a social species and most of us know that our connections with others are vitally important. But what really affects our relationships and are there practical things we can do to enhance them?

WEEK 6: Can we be happier at work? Work is a huge part of our lives, but many of us find our work to be stressful and frustrating. Do happier organisations get better results? What makes us happy at work? And what can we do about it?

WEEK 7: Can we build happier communities?What does it mean to live well together - and why are some communities or societies much happier than others? In this session we'll explore how to create communities that are more caring, connected and happy.

WEEK 8: How can we create a happier world? This session brings together everything we've covered during the course. It aims to inspire each of us to live in a way that contributes to a happier world, not just for ourselves but for others too.

http://www.actionforhappiness.org/the-action-for-happiness-course

JeffreyBuddhadragon
  • It looks like a great course. It clearly appears to have UK origins. That, by the way, does not diminish either the program or the UK. <3
    Maybe the British Parliament and the US Congress can go through this program?
    Wishful thinking, I know. :3

Peace to all

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited September 2015

I think I'm already on course :)

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited September 2015

The British govt has taken on the idea of statistically monitoring and improving our sense of well being ...
    http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/HTMLDocs/dvc146/wrapper.html

It might not be wishful thinking. It is a potential path for our 'representatives'. Might well write to my member of parliament ... who could do with a dose of happy ...

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@lobster said:
    Saw in the news The Dalai Lama (PBUH) anounced a new free happiness course. Yeah!

I'll join.
    http://www.actionforhappiness.org/10-keys-to-happier-living

Wot a plan! Today the individual. Tomorrow the world!

Maybe I will start with a new pair of socks?

I wonder how many times they had to do a take for that shot. :dizzy:

Vastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited September 2015

I thought it was an online course.

Bummer, dude. You sign up and they let you know when a course is being taught near you.....Oh well....Back to fun socks, gratitude and unicorns. :awesome:

I like the posters on the site.. <3

• @Vastmind said:
    I thought it was an online course.

No reason why it shouldn't be ...

1. What really matters in life?

For me that would be whatever improves the situation for myself and others ...

2. Lots of things are important in life, but how should we decide what really matters to us?

Just did. See first answer ...

Vastmind
  • @lobster said:
    Just did. See first answer ...

o:)<3B) >

Note: "Quote" function seems a little spacy...or is that hinky?...Whatever

edited September 2015

@lobster

Touche

I'll be looking over that 'weekly' list a little differently now. o:)

@Lionduck said: Note: "Quote" function seems a little spacy...or is that hinky?...Whatever

Gee, ya think...? The quote function is frankly, abysmal and SNAFU....

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited September 2015

Whilst some are still worrying about what to wear ... :o

Here we have the synopsis of their approach in pdf form:

http://www.actionforhappiness.org/media/80220/great_dream_-_10_keys_to_happier_living_download_formatted_v9.pdf

It is divided into external action and changing internal processing. o:)

Reminds me of the pledge:

Maybe they have a facebook page like those needing a daily dose of sitting? Will check ...
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/sitnow/

Lionduck
  • Thanks federica, I feel so much better now. B)

edited September 2015

This is trending everywhere here....and the little 6 yr old sure sounds like she understands the course(s) for happiness. " The middle...where her heart is" ... :cry: ...tears of love from me....... <3

ShoshinLionducksilver
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited September 2015

@Vastmind said:
    This is trending everywhere here....and the little 6 yr old sure sounds like she understands the course(s) for happiness. " The middle...where her heart is" ... :cry: ...tears of love from me....... <3

A budding 'lotus' rising up out of the mud "Wow" .... <3

Vastmind
  • From the mouths of babes.
    Truth from the heart of a child. <3
    Tears from this salty old vet. :3

Peace to all

Vastmind
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I love all the sundries in the Course of Happiness, both on the link's Programme, and on @lobster's.

Please mind the frivolity of my comment but I'll post something worth reading when I get over the shock of those ugly male specimens in.... socks and... g-strings????

No way they are anywhere near to making any woman happy...
    These, instead....

all.jpg 91.2K
    lobster
  • Those KIWIs know how to put on a show. Glad @DhammaDragon enjoys a good warrior pose. Their not bad at what we primitives in USA call Soccer either. =)
    Now where's my coffee?

Buddhadragon