Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Falling off the bike

I have fallen off the Precept Bicycle in some pretty messy, dramatic ways in the past. Finally, formally took the Three Refuges and Eight Lifetime Precepts last year. It''s hard learning the hard way the truth of the teachings and our self-deceptions that we 'understand' them but have not been living them.
+++
'The Theravadin teacher Bikkhu Bodhi wrote,

"The Buddhist texts explain that sila has the characteristic of harmonizing our actions of body and speech. Sila harmonizes our actions by bringing them into accord with our own true interests, with the well-being of others, and with universal laws.

Actions contrary to sila lead to a state of self-division marked by guilt, anxiety, and remorse. But the observance of the principles of sila heals this division, bringing our inner faculties together into a balanced and centered state of unity." ("Going for Refuge and Taking the Precepts")

It is said that the Precepts describe the way an enlightened being naturally lives. At the same time, the discpline of upholding the Precepts is part of the path to enlightenment.

As we begin to work with the Precepts we find ourselves "breaking" or defiling them over and over. We can think of this as something like falling off a bicycle, and we can either beat ourselves up about falling -- which is disharmonious -- or we can get back on the bicycle and start pedaling again.

The Zen teacher Chozen Bays said, "We just keep on working, we are patient with ourselves, and on and on it goes. Little by little our life comes more into alignment with the wisdom that gives rise to the precepts. As our minds get clearer and clearer, it's not even a matter of breaking or maintaining the precepts; automatically they are maintained."

-- http://buddhism.about.com/od/theprecepts/a/preceptsintro.htm

BunksZenshinCarlitaShoshinrohitCinorjerpegembara

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Thanks @dhammika.

I recently took the precepts. It certainly exposes how often we behave mindlessly in life. I think it will take me a while to even begin to be honest with myself about how often I break them. Particularly the second, third and fourth.

• I sometimes forget that to laugh at our oh-so-serious struggles is good practice. Thanks,@federica

• CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us! United States Veteran

How do you take formal precepts? I'm part of one of a few sects within the school I practice; but, they don't have precepts as more formal schools do. I don't really feel comfortable taking precepts informally. However, I don't want to be attached to finding a way to take formal precepts rather taking them by living them.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2016

OP, why did you take 8 precepts? The usual thing is to take 5. Some teachers recommend only taking one, and if you succeed in keeping it over time, add another one. 8 seems like setting yourself up for failure, if you don't mind me saying so. Biting off more than most people could chew.

Kind of like the advice people give to dieters, to set realistic goals, so as not to become discouraged and give up. Be realistic in what you think you can adhere to. But I suppose there are all kinds of approaches to taking vows. Still, 8 all at once seems like a lot. Do you participate in a tradition where that's a more routine practice?

• As part of retreats at the Bhavana Society Theravadan Monastery in W.Va. you can take the 8 Lifetime Precepts at the end. They are slightly more involved than the 5 Precepts, adding more proscriptions on right speech in part: http://bhavanasociety.org/page/lifetime_precepts/

ZenshinCarlita

@Dhammika said:
    As part of retreats at the Bhavana Society Theravadan Monastery in W.Va. you can take the 8 Lifetime Precepts at the end. They are slightly more involved than the 5 Precepts, adding more proscriptions on right speech in part: http://bhavanasociety.org/page/lifetime_precepts/

LOL I am just two hours from there. I was trying to go there earlier in the spring, but their retreats were booked. The weather is too bad now. I plan to go there, though.

• Their retreat registrations open 30 days before the first day of the retreat. Best to sign up that first day as they fill up fast.

Carlita
  • techietechie India Veteran

@Dakini said:
    OP, why did you take 8 precepts? The usual thing is to take 5. Some teachers recommend only taking one, and if you succeed in keeping it over time,

Some zen masters say, dont take precepts. Let precepts take you. O.o

CarlitaShoshin

@techie said:

@Dakini said:
    OP, why did you take 8 precepts? The usual thing is to take 5. Some teachers recommend only taking one, and if you succeed in keeping it over time,

Some zen masters say, dont take precepts. Let precepts take you. O.o

That's profound.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Carlita, I took Formal Refuge and Precepts at a Theravada temple that was near to me when I lived in a different location. I now have no temples near me, so I make do with this place... ;)

However, I took Personal Refuge myself, on my own, in a 'home-made' Ceremony, a good few years before.
    I merely devised a specific Ceremony, for myself, and within the privacy of my own home, when I knew I would not be disturbed, I performed a "Taking Refuge in the Triple gem & 5 Precepts" Ritual of my own making.

It took right form start to finish, around an hour or so. But it was lovely, and although the Formal Refuge ceremony at the temple was also gratifying I actually preferred the one I went through personally.

But it's up to you.
    Some people, and in some traditions, it desn't feel authentic and official until it's done within the satting of a temple and officiated by monks.

Others feel fine doing it the way I did.

It's your choice.

Carlita
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Dhammika said:We can think of this as something like falling off a bicycle, and we can either beat ourselves up about falling -- which is disharmonious -- or we can get back on the bicycle and start pedaling again.

I sometimes think of the precepts like those training wheels at the back of a child's bicycle.

• @Dhammika said:
    As part of retreats at the Bhavana Society Theravadan Monastery in W.Va. you can take the 8 Lifetime Precepts at the end. They are slightly more involved than the 5 Precepts, adding more proscriptions on right speech in part: http://bhavanasociety.org/page/lifetime_precepts/

Phew. For a moment I thought you meant these.

The Eight Precepts:
    1. Panatipata veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
    I undertake the precept to refrain from destroying living creatures.
    2. Adinnadana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
    I undertake the precept to refrain from taking that which is not given.
    3. Abrahmacariya veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
    I undertake the precept to refrain from sexual activity.
    4. Musavada veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
    I undertake the precept to refrain from incorrect speech.
    5. Suramerayamajja pamadatthana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
    I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to carelessness.
    6. Vikalabhojana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
    I undertake the precept to refrain from eating at the forbidden time (i.e., after noon).
    7. Nacca-gita-vadita-visukkadassana mala-gandha-vilepana-dharana-mandana-vibhusanathana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
    I undertake the precept to refrain from dancing, singing, music, going to see entertainments, wearing garlands, using perfumes, and beautifying the body with cosmetics.
    8. Uccasayana-mahasayana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
    I undertake the precept to refrain from lying on a high or luxurious sleeping place.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sila/atthasila.html

• Those are the Eight Monastic Precepts. No rock shows for you!

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

oh c'mon, that's harsh... look, I'll show you one...

Dhammika
  • Yup! I have fallen off that bike so many times I lost count - got the scrapes and scars to prove it too. :3
    But that ride! Whoooeeee!!!! =)<3

Back to the cocoa.

lobsterKundo