Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do you believe in reincarnation/rebirth?

2»

Comments

• nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

@karasti said:
    They live in the moment because it's all they have. most of them don't know to worry about the past and future and be as neurotic as we are.

Apparently you've never met a cat. They're all neurotic. I have four, so I should know.

Seriously, though, I think in traditional Buddhist cosmology the animal realm is considered even lower than the hell realms. I could be wrong though - it's not an area I've paid a lot of attention to.

• LionduckLionduck Veteran

Let's see... Hell, Hunger (Hungry Spirits), Animality (Animal Realm?)...
    Nope! Down there, but Hell is still at the bottom.

lobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

What about the realm of lobsters and giant hedgehogs? :p

herberto
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Where the Wild Things Are....?

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

DISCLAIMER - THIS IS BASED SOLELY ON MY EXPERIENCES........

Firstly I think there is a difference between reincarnation and rebirth. Reincarnation deals with the soul coming back over and over, whilst I've found Rebirth to apply almost exclusively to Buddhism and non-theistic paths. Having highlighted that, I DO believe in Rebirth.

I had what I guess one could call and NDE earlier this year. I was meditating during a cracker of a migraine and (trying) to just observe the pain and watch it take its sweet time before disappearing. I encountered a slight shift in perception and felt like I was somewhere else entirely and surrounded by deceased family members and others I couldn't quite make out. There was no white light beckoning me home or anything like that and I was soon jolted back to reality by a police siren. Oddly enough when I discussed it with my mother, she smiled and only spoke to tell me there was no police siren at any time. (But she's awesome to discuss all things metaphysical, spiritual and Buddhist with. She even states regularly that Buddhism is her preferred path - what IS it with us Jews? LOL)

I was thinking about this and can't state that I don't believe in rebirth as I believe in this case it was my awareness that "travelled". I don't think you need to have a soul to be aware.

Just my 0.02

_ /\ _

Jeroenherberto
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

@nakazcid lol yes, I have had cats. They are an odd creature for sure. But I don't think they are neurotic because they are worried about their futures like we are. Animal realms are "placed" lower, but I'm not sure I agree with that, is all I was saying. It any case I don't place a lot of importance on the realms at all, they aren't something I study.

• gracklegrackle Veteran
    edited May 2016

@Dhammachick. I have believed for awhile that some aspect of our awareness does indeed travel and yet return. Do we indeed go some place else or is it another level of awareness as yet unknown to us.

Growing up in S Fla I found quite a few Jews that were interested in Buddhism. This led to some most meaningful conversations and eventual friendships.

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@grackle said:
    Growing up in S Fla I found quite a few Jews that were interested in Buddhism. This led to some most meaningful conversations and eventual friendships.

I think we are drawn to Buddhism because the philosophy is so similar to Judaism - barring the big difference that Judaism is theistic and Buddhism is not.

_ /\ _