Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How To Command And Master Your Emotions

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran

Emotions are lifetime companions. We cannot get rid of them. As long as we’re alive, feelings will be there to accompany our actions or even inactions. Traditional knowledge tells us we are slaves of our emotions. Emotions make our day. They decide whether we get up in a good mood in the morning or in good spirits when we get in bed at night. Some people even give their emotions the authority to mold their destiny.

http://www.psitek.net/pages/PsiTek-how-to-command-and-master-your-emotions-1.html#gsc.tab=0

Comments

• ECSECS Malaysia Explorer

Perhaps as human Buddhism is the natural process realizing you are emotion ... you are desire , you are love , you are anger and as one awaken to this process , one will no longer hold on to the mind .......because holding on to the mind leads to suffering ......one will travel with the mind without filling or holding on to the mind and as he travel further into this path , all emotion will gradually and naturally forgotten .....and further travel into a state without condition , into the original state of nothingness - The Buddha

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

A fellow in my meditation group claims that he can switch his anger on and off.

He uses it as a tool for weight lifting.

Anger "on" - lift - anger "off".

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

It is true, you can activate various emotions internally. Bringing forth love and compassion has been a life-saver for me at times. My spontaneous emotions tend not to be very strong, I almost invariably wake up in a mood of acceptance and a small pleasure -- so different people are born with different challenges in this regard.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2016

@ECS said:
    Perhaps as human Buddhism is the natural process realizing you are emotion ... you are desire , you are love , you are anger and as one awaken to this process , one will no longer hold on to the mind .......because holding on to the mind leads to suffering ......one will travel with the mind without filling or holding on to the mind and as he travel further into this path , all emotion will gradually and naturally forgotten .....and further travel into a state without condition , into the original state of nothingness - The Buddha

The Buddha is not nothingness. I really think you need to find another more appropriate term.

There is no 'original state of 'nothingness.
    Could you please point to any Buddhist teaching that speaks of Nothingness?
    To what literature or teaching, are you referring specifically?

The Buddha was emotional. of course he was, or else he would not have continued to reproach or praise, be pleased or displeased. You need emotions for that. If he had abandoned all emotions, he would have been a robotic zombie.
    What the Buddha learnt - and taught - was detachment from unhealthy conditions or states.
    But he never said to abandon and shed all emotions, or even that it was the right thing to do.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yup. Pretty much my line of thinking.

RuddyDuck9