Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is it OK to do Kabbalah/Tarot meditation as well as Buddhist meditation?

MutleyMutley Somerset UK Explorer

As you will probably have guessed, I am virtually a newcomer to Buddhist meditation but back in the 80's I did a certain amount of Kabbalah and Tarot meditation. Do the two mix? I would very much imagine not in the same meditation session but can you use both systems beneficially in different sessions?

Comments

• rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran
    edited June 2016

Ya, they shouldn't be mixed. Does Tarot meditation based on reality or just blind faith?
    In Buddhism the blind faith is not favoured and it should be avoided.

Shoshin
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited June 2016

I guess it depends how seriously you take tarot (not familiar with Kabbalah enough to say). I enjoy playing with tarot. The same as I like a chinese fortune cookie or a horoscope. That is, for entertainment. I don't run a tarot reading and then go out making my life decisions based on what I found. It's just fun, like a game. I sometimes find them amusing or interesting but that is about it. Pretty sure Buddha wasn't a fan of taking action based on the flips of cards rather than logical investigation.

Shoshin
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Mutley said:> As you will probably have guessed, I am virtually a newcomer to Buddhist meditation but back in the 80's I did a certain amount of Kabbalah and Tarot meditation. Do the two mix? I would very much imagine not in the same meditation session but can you use both systems beneficially in different sessions?

No reason you can't, though if you stick with Buddhist meditation you may well begin to question existing assumptions ( which is sort of the point of it! ).

Shoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Here is my page on the Tarot
    http://opcoa.st/04wcG

... the answer is you can use the techniques BUT it is more pragmatic and less prone to confusion and potential conflict if we stick to a single path of symbols B)

Kundo
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Is it OK to do Kabbalah/Tarot meditation as well as Buddhist meditation?

Try it ...see for your self....

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

The magical mystery tour is always available for the taking ... in Buddhism and otherwise. So...

Take it or leave it.