Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is 'Won Buddhism'?

silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded.USA, Left coast. Veteran
edited July 2016 in Buddhism Today

On another forum, someone asked if anyone practiced 'Won Buddhism,' and so far, no one had even heard of it, so I thought I'd ask if anyone here has heard of it. I did google and found this but have only skimmed the info: http://www.wondharmacenter.org/won-buddhism/what-is-won-buddhism

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited July 2016

It says it's something new out of Korea. So it's a type of Korean Buddhism, which is a branch of Zen, but with some kind of a new modern twist, they say.

I don't know anything about it, but this reminds me of a "new" Buddhist sangha or movement someone posted an announcement about last year, that was heavily hyping what looked like a Chinese "guru" in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition. It announced the opening of a new temple in San Francisco. Further info showed that it was mostly Chinese embassy officials who attended the opening ceremony: a ahem "red" flag if I ever saw one.

It's pretty standard advice to test the waters carefully when searching for a sangha for oneself. Thanks for the opportunity to post a general reminder.

RuddyDuck9
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited July 2016

Yep. A type of Korean Buddhism. While Jogye is the traditional and main sect, it appeals mainly to the older generation. It's still a religion of monks with the lay population attending various ceremonies. Christianity has overtaken Buddhism as the religion of choice for today's generation and that worries a lot of Koreans. Think of Won as Korean Buddhist's attempt to modernize and make Buddhism more accessible to the lay population. Beyond that, I've never talked to a Won Buddhist and only know what's on their website.

ShoshinRuddyDuck9
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

What is 'Won Buddhism'?

Isn't that when one wins an awakened mind ???? :wink:

CinorjerlobsterIchLiebteKundo
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Won Ton soup takes on a whole new meaning..... :o

lobsterIchLiebteKundo
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Kerome said:> Sounds like something that might happen at a carnival attraction... Hit the clinging aggregate three times and get an awakened mind fluffy to take home? :)

Stall run by Buddhist master "Hoo Won Teddy" :p

CinorjerKundo