Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Deities

Hi - could someone point me in the direction of how to understand deities please?

I've been reading a lot of buddhism books but mostly western and I had understood there were no Gods etc.

Are these Deities unique to the cultural heritage of buddhism in each country? If so, how does that fit with Western Buddhism?

I am very confused! Is there a link on here discussing it? I couldn't find one I'm afraid so apologies if this is repeating other discussions. Any signposts gratefully received!
Thank you.

Comments

• Try searching for Yidam
    http://opcoa.st/PGQkn

The use of deity possession or rather attribute alignment is just a meditation method ... though people commonly take such things literally.

No gods required in dharma.

... oh and welcome <3

RuddyDuck9
  • Buddhism, unlike most religions, does not require that you harbor any deities.
    Some people,though, do like to keep a deity or two around the house. Buddhism accommodates, though it's not a centerpoint.

karastiRuddyDuck9Walker
  • ^^. I have a closet full of imaginary deities, lost lamas, enlightened monks and pet demons.

Back! Back in you fantastical fantasies! Phew ... nearly escaped ... ;)

Steve_B
  • Great - thank you all for welcome and help. I live in a really remote area so grateful for all the help on here :). I am not well practised with forums so please excuse any lack of etiquette! Shall follow up on that link. Thanks for making me laugh too :)

• SwaroopSwaroop India Veteran

@emmieb please don't praise and encourage @lobster. That is one spoiled crustacean.

WalkerRuddyDuck9emmieblobster
  • The simplified answer is that as Buddhism spread to other cultures from India and even within India itself, it didn't replace existing religions and beliefs and incorporated the current Gods and beliefs into its pantheon as Bodhisattvas and guardians and such. Buddhism says there is no Creator God, not that there are no gods. Dependent Origination says even gods have to be created and are subject to the laws of karma. Beyond that, the particular gods in Buddhism depend on the culture you're talking about.

emmieb
  • RuddyDuck9RuddyDuck9 MD, USA Veteran

OP, I use the concept of deities to focus my intent, as @karasti describes. No, I don't think KuanYin is hovering above me as I meditate, but the concept of KuanYin's Loving Kindness and Compassion is something I can apply to my everyday life, so I try to do so. Keeping images of her around is simply a reminder. :chuffed::heart:

emmiebCinorjerkarastilobster
  • I had the light bulb moment - thank you all very much. Much clearer now. =)

RuddyDuck9Jeroenlobster
  • RuddyDuck9RuddyDuck9 MD, USA Veteran

btw welcome to NB @emmieb ! :hurrah:

• If you become devoted to Kuan Shih Yin Pusa it is an unending journey. Be prepared for that which is not commonly understood or seen. Picture books are ok but you will see so much more. With the unfolding comes great responsibility.