Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Who knew?

silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded.USA, Left coast. Veteran

http://buddhaweekly.com/chod-practice-visceral-imagery-offering-chopped-body-sentient-beings-perhaps-misunderstood-profound-buddhist-practices-chod-represents-ultimate-expressio/

Until I got this email article this morning, I didn't know the word chod was a real word and not just made up by @lobster to rhyme with god and cod! :grin:

I had no idea. (I hope I'm not the only one.) :3

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

That's the great thing about Buddhism, the sheer diversity, all sorts of weird and wondrous ideas are included.

• I have only been present at one chod and chips practice. The chips are usually on my shoulder or in some pain, dukkha or stiffness.

Fortunately my pet demons and good friends from the hell realms accept all negativity, suffering physical or mental as picnic treats.

Eat me!

It is quite natural when we are new to the dharma to focus on building stability and positive associations and sacred mind space. This is a foundation of refuge and confirmation.

The Chod practice I was present at involved transmission to a Buddhist in a wheel chair.

Imagine offering pain, illness, disability, anguish, fear, Donald Jay Rump and other impediments to demons ... They love all that bad stuff.

In Dharma the worst demons are our anger, lust for 'my little pony' perfections, egoic expressions of self esteem, avoidance of hard and painful realities, fear from our imagination etc.

silverJeroen