Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Who knew II

silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded.USA, Left coast. Veteran

...And now for something completely different-!

Just happened upon this article about Thai monks having to suffer from the woes of obesity, diabetes, sugary foods etc.

http://www.ozy.com/acumen/the-silent-horror-thats-afflicting-thai-monks/69666?li_source=LI&li_medium=default-widget

Believe me, I feel for them.

Things are about to change. Traditions need to be broken.

Cinorjerperson

Comments

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited October 2016

"There are these two extremes that are not to be indulged in by one who has gone forth. Which two? That which is devoted to sensual pleasure with reference to sensual objects: base, vulgar, common, ignoble, unprofitable; and that which is devoted to self-affliction: painful, ignoble, unprofitable."

The solution? One meal a day.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-EmrpEdhqxj8/UkucD4v5gsI/AAAAAAAAFjU/oIn6TnCeDD8/s1600/DSC_2096-email.jpg

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

It at least sounds like some are starting to recognize the problem. With the role government plays in religion in Thailand you'd think it wouldn't be that hard to educate the populace about how to donate healthier food to the monks.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I will tell the Dairy Lama to stop preaching about ice-cream. :p

person
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Apparently you can lose weight on any kind of diet, it's all about portion control? So we should just get the Dairy Lama to preach about tiny little ice-creams :awesome: