Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dynamic meditation

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

Wandering around YouTube brought this video on my path yesterday, and I thought it would be interesting to talk about it. It’s about the dynamic meditation devised by Osho, if you watch the video it will explain how it works:

As you can see, it’s a lot more physical than Buddhist meditations, and it has a clear procession of stages. Osho’s take on why the meditation was structured this way was that for the modern man, whose energy was so much in the head, it was necessary to reconnect to the body and to the heart.

It leaves me interested how Buddhists would approach this? Would you even call it meditation, or some kind of physical de-conditioning?

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I tend to prefer doing yoga to bashing pillows on the floor before meditation. The idea is the same though, yoga is recommended prior to meditation to get the energy out of the body which allows the mind to calm better and also allow better connection between body and mind. Whatever works, I guess! It comes across as a bit of an "exorcism" of energy which I could see being helpful for some people who really struggle getting into meditation at all. But, I also believe we have a whole lot of control over our body processes. Many meditation studies of advanced monks have shown this, I believe. People do all sorts of rituals to deal with their bodies, but I think we can use our minds to accomplish all of that if we wish to, without the need for so much unnecessary ceremony.