Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

head shaving

SystemSystem Moderator
edited June 2018 in General Banter
This discussion was created from comments split from: Head Shaving. Previous discussion is 8 years old. None of the participants there are on site any longer....
Hence the split. :)

Comments

• billjmbilljm norwich New

Hi i shave my head all the time as you can see from my photo it's a great feeling when the razor goes over your head and i have had it shaved bald for ten years now there' nothing like it.

Bunks
  • ScottPenScottPen Maryland Veteran

@Marcus- I'm almost 41 and I started buzzing my hair off when I was 26 or 27. I did it because I wanted my appearance to be consistent and unpredictable with zero effort. My hair was pretty short already, and I still spent too much time paying attention to it. Paying attention to my hair made me feel vain- and although I hadn't started thinking about Buddhism, I was already aware that vanity is a prison.
    My friends didn't care. My wife, who was my girlfriend at the time, didn't really like it and still doesn't... but we've been married 8 years as of yesterday.
    It had the exact desired effect. I tried to grow it out to a normal length earlier this year to be nice to my wife, but I had no idea how dramatic my bald spot is!! Insecurity came back, and I shaved it right off again.
    I recommend that anyone tries it. You might benefit from it. If not, hair is a renewable resource, so why sweat it?

@System said:
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Head Shaving. Previous discussion is 8 years old. None of the participants there are on site any longer....
    Hence the split. :)

oops

I guess you can't fight the system

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Of course you can!

(You'd lose, but of course you can! :D:D )

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

It’s interesting, for many people who are now getting a bit older there was a tendency to not cut their hair for spiritual reasons. For example my stepfather walks around with a topknot. I guess these things vary with the generations.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Yes! My ex mother in law commented a few years ago that she didn't like the look of my shaved head and I should have a comb over.

?

herbertoScottPen
  • VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran
    edited June 2018

I haven't had hair in so long I wouldn't actually know what to say if I went into a barber's.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

• herbertoherberto Arizona Explorer

I've been shaving my head for over 23 years and love it. I do have a pretty long beard so you might say that my hair has been lowered.

@Vimalajāti said:

I haven't had hair in so long I wouldn't actually know what to say if I went into a barber's.

If I went into a barbershop the only thing I would say is "oops, wrong door"

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Hi i shave my head all the time as you can see from my photo it's a great feeling when the razor goes over your head and i have had it shaved bald for ten years now there' nothing like it.

Welcome to newbuddhist, B)
    hairstyling tips now available ;)

Also available in the Xtian Sutras:

2 Vanity[b] of vanities, says the Preacher,
    vanity of vanities! All is vanity.
    3 What does man gain by all the toil
    at which he toils under the sun?
    4 A generation goes, and a generation comes,
    but the earth remains forever.
    5 The sun rises, and the sun goes down,
    and hastens[c] to the place where it rises.
    6 The wind blows to the south
    and goes around to the north;
    around and around goes the wind,
    and on its circuits the wind returns.
    7 All streams run to the sea,
    but the sea is not full;
    to the place where the streams flow,
    there they flow again.
    8 All things are full of weariness;
    a man cannot utter it;
    the eye is not satisfied with seeing,
    nor the ear filled with hearing.
    9 What has been is what will be,
    and what has been done is what will be done,
    and there is nothing new under the sun.
    10 Is there a thing of which it is said,
    “See, this is new”?
    It has been already
    in the ages before us.
    11 There is no remembrance of former things,[d]
    nor will there be any remembrance
    of later things[e] yet to be
    among those who come after.

Ecclesiastes 1

Personally being attached to ones little mound with a Brazilian Head, is no different to being a hair freak. Who shaves their eyebrows? Me neither. Fail. :3