Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Compassion cultivation training

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

I noticed that the translator of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Gheshe Thupten Jinpa, was a member of the Centre for Compassion and Altruism Research and Education at Stanford. So I thought I’d visit the webpage and see what it was all about. It turns out that they do a training in making compassion a greater part of one’s practice, a 2 hour lesson a week for 8 weeks. I thought it might be interesting for people here to look into.

http://ccare.stanford.edu/education/about-compassion-cultivation-training-cct/

KundoShoshin

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Brilliant stuff. Carry the essence of Christmas for 365 days a year....

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Some nice study resources in that list, @lobster. I picked out “Nothing is left out” by Ajahn Sumedho and was treated to an insightful treatise on how to cope with negativity by metta.

• Glad to hear it @Kerome <3

I am a bit Hinayana/Theravadin when it comes to courses. I consider them priceless and so they should be supported with sangha dana. If we can pay for retreats and courses in time, money, supporting sangha, travel to remote caves or our garden shed, go with Buddha ...

However if as rich as a Boddhisatva, I believe it only correct to charge teachers for the privilege of offering more metta ...

Did I go wrong again? o:)
    Must try harder ... B)

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I was actually kind of assuming the Stanford one would be free as well, silly me. After all spreading compassion is a very worthy cause.

• Some people only value what they pay for @Kerome. Some people make a living from spirituality, faux-generosity, career charity work, professional sangha business.

One of the three jewels is Sangha. Good people. Not goods.