Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Happy Vesak

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited May 2020 in Buddhism Today

From another thread:

Tomorrow is the biggest day on the Thai Forest Calendar. Vesak Day.
The full moon day in May is a celebration of the Buddha’s birth, enlightenment and death (all rolled into one).
It’s like Easter and Xmas in the same day.
Sadhu Sadhu Sadhu 🙏🙏🙏

What a day.
I might:

• Chant a bit
  • Save savour the world, does not need saving
  • Wear my favourite sari and beads
  • Water my buddhas, borders and birders

What will you be doing?

HAPPY VESAK

Shake your Muni!

Walker

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

The Eight precepts @lobster

Plus tune in to below tonight.....

Sadhu Sadhu Sadhu

lobsterFrogpond

Note: Vesak is actually celebrated tomorrow (7/5) in Sri Lanka.

lobsterFrogpond
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Happy Vesak people! Let’s celebrate! Dance! Drink 🍸 although non-alcoholic beverages would be best of course.

I will see if I can lay a tulip 🌷 before my Buddha statue.

BunkslobsterFrogpondJeffrey
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2020

Yes, at midnight on the 6th/7th, I shall Take Refuge, Recite the 3, 3 times, and the 8. Then for 24 hours I shall be fasting, and in 'mini retreat' within my room, listening to talks, reading my new book and sitting. So don't expect any input from me for the whole of Thursday...

FrogpondJeffrey
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

What will you be doing?

Dharma practice...

Frogpondlobster

@federica said:
    Yes, at midnight on the 6th/7th, I shall Take Refuge, Recite the 3, 3 times, and the 8. Then for 24 hours I shall be fasting, and in 'mini retreat' within my room, listening to talks, reading my new book and sitting. So don't expect any input from me for the whole of Thursday...

Sadhu Sadhu Sadhu 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Frogpond

(I had been advised the estimated delivery for my book would be 12th - 16th May, but as luck would have it, it's arrived TODAY!! So my comment was prophetic! Oh goody!)

FrogpondBunkslobster
  • FrogpondFrogpond California Explorer
    edited May 2020

@federica said:
    (I had been advised the estimated delivery for my book would be 12th - 16th May, but as luck would have it, it's arrived TODAY!! So my comment was prophetic! Oh goody!)

May I ask what book @federica.? As somebody fairly new to this I'd be very grateful for a book recommendation. 🙏🙏

"Being Nobody, Going Nowhere" by Ayya Khema. It was recommended to me by other members here.

FrogpondBunks
  • FrogpondFrogpond California Explorer

@federica said:
    "Being Nobody, Going Nowhere" by Ayya Khema. It was recommended to me by other members here.

Thank you!! Im going to order it! Much appreciated 🙏🙏

Bunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Vesak Blessing from my mum (Cunti)

Note all the hands ...

@Frogpond I recommend blogs paper (emergency ended) eg.
    http://buddhismguide.org/how-to-practice-self-restraint/

BunksShoshin
  • LionduckLionduck Veteran

To those celebrating the Thai Buddhist tradition - Happy Vesak!
    For everyone, have a great week. Stay safe.

Peace to all

lobsterShoshinWalkerBunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

This is the weak of Visack?
    Many monks are used to lockdown due to the torrential rains in sanghaland ...

Here is a list of the precepts I will be following:

• Lent some fish or rather borrow some tuna (food done)
    • Be kind to my relatives ... wait I am related to everyone through adam, eve, lilith and Holy Spook (Aka Ghost the Father)
    • Write to wrong and rite to freedom
    • Ignore all trump ets and their clones
    • Be kind to insects
    • Cook the broad beans I am growing
    • Chant (done that) - I iz successful preceptor!

Hallelujah Happy Vesak >:)o:)<3

Bonus track from depressed Zen/Tantric/Poet/New Wage Buddhist

They are celebrating Vesak in Sri Lanka. Hurrah.

Bunks
  • adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

Happy Vesak everyone! For yesterday and today. I celebrated on Sunday by taking refuges and precepts with Ajahn Brahm via livestream. It was really lovely. And then a little time outside last night looking at the full moon. I wish you all a very happy year.

May you find peace in the midst of everything 💛

BunkslobsterWalker

@adamcrossley said:
    Happy Vesak everyone! For yesterday and today. I celebrated on Sunday by taking refuges and precepts with Ajahn Brahm via livestream. It was really lovely. And then a little time outside last night looking at the full moon. I wish you all a very happy year.

May you find peace in the midst of everything 💛

Same to you @adamcrossley