Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hotei and laughter

KeromeKerome Love, love is mysteryThe Continent Veteran
edited October 15 in Buddhism Basics

I have once heard it said that Hotei is the flowering of the Buddha, he is always depicted as such a jolly fellow. It is the combination of spirituality and laughter that appeals to me, the idea that being spiritual can also be joyful. Very little is actually said about it, but the statue speaks to people, and to me, which is probably why is it so popular.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budai

Have you ever heard of laughter yoga? Groups of people get together to laugh, for a prolonged session. Going through the motions soon turns into real laughter, without comedy or joke telling. There is often much eye contact and playfulness between participants. It shakes up the energy, and has many benefits.

Comments

• KeromeKerome Love, love is mystery The Continent Veteran
    edited October 15

I came across this fine TED talk on the habits of happiness, by Matthieu Ricard

Friends of mine have done this three week retreat called the Osho Mystic Rose, which begins with a week of every day doing 3 hours of laughing...

I was looking for laughter meditation on google, and this came up. It seemed interesting, I’m not usually into Deepak Chopra but this 30 days of intent seems as if it might be something.

• During the day there's always something to laugh about (the funny side of life/living), and I laugh a lot...

Thus have I heard....
    Beware of unhappy Buddhists, they are not really practicing, just being intellectual

• Monty Python rocks!