Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

We do not own anything, we just borrow...

KeromeKerome Certainty is the enemy of wonderThe Continent Veteran
edited March 20 in Buddhism Basics

I came across this contemplation today, we do not own anything, we just borrow, and I thought it was an interesting expression of impermanence. Because nothing lasts forever there is no such thing as real ownership, we just temporarily loan things from the planet, and pass them on to others when we are done.

Here in the Netherlands we have shops called kringloopwinkels, which translated means circular-usage-shops. Basically you take anything there that you no longer want but that’s still good and it gets reused. It’s kind of like a second hand shop for everything, except that everything that’s there was donated.

There is an American Indian saying, touch the world lightly with your feet...

lobsterBunksShoshin1Alex

Comments

  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

    It’s true. I was thinking that when I bought my new home. I feel so attached to this sense of ownership of it but at some stage in the future, with the stroke of a pen, I pass it on to someone else.

  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

    @Kerome said:
    I came across this contemplation today, we do not own anything, we just borrow, and I thought it was an interesting expression of impermanence. Because nothing lasts forever there is no such thing as real ownership, we just temporarily loan things from the planet, and pass them on to others when we are done.

    Here in the Netherlands we have shops called kringloopwinkels, which translated means circular-usage-shops. Basically you take anything there that you no longer want but that’s still good and it gets reused. It’s kind of like a second hand shop for everything, except that everything that’s there was donated.

    There is an American Indian saying, touch the world lightly with your feet...

    I once had a meditation teacher who extended this idea to our bodies, stressing both nonattachment and the need to take care of them.

    federicaShoshin1Bunkslobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

    There is an American Indian saying, touch the world lightly with your feet...

    I believe the correct term is Red Indian (they are all communists) unless they are brown indians in which case they are domestic terrorists.

    One has to keep up with borrowed cultures. For example the Americans who still owe tea taxes to their sovereign Queen Elizabeth The Sequel:

    • worship their flag, the 'Star Spangley Bonner'
    • have to own arms
    • force their children to watch TV or be presidents

    Here to help

  • KeromeKerome Certainty is the enemy of wonder The Continent Veteran

    @lobster said:
    the correct term is Red Indian (they are all communists)

    You’re right that American Indian implies something completely different from Indian Indian, which creates some confusion in the matter. However the presence of gaming casinos on many reservations in the US leads me to believe that many Red Indians have converted to capitalism and the pursuit of the almighty dollar.

  • KeromeKerome Certainty is the enemy of wonder The Continent Veteran

    @Jason said:
    I once had a meditation teacher who extended this idea to our bodies, stressing both nonattachment and the need to take care of them.

    A body building meditation teacher? How amazing. His body is his temple, obviously.

  • GuiGui Veteran
    edited March 22

    @Kerome said:

    @lobster said:
    the correct term is Red Indian (they are all communists)

    You’re right that American Indian implies something completely different from Indian Indian, which creates some confusion in the matter. However the presence of gaming casinos on many reservations in the US leads me to believe that many Red Indians have converted to capitalism and the pursuit of the almighty dollar.

    Casinos are the only way some nations have to avoid complete poverty. They are not governed in this way by the State. And I love the irony of whites "donating" their last dollars they worship in their stench of greed and desperation after stealing everything.

    • just wanted to add this:

    Lakota Instructions for Living

    Friend do it this way – that is,
    whatever you do in life,
    do the very best you can
    with both your heart and mind.

    And if you do it that way,
    the Power Of The Universe
    will come to your assistance,
    if your heart and mind are in Unity.

    When one sits in the Hoop Of The People,
    one must be responsible because
    All of Creation is related.
    And the hurt of one is the hurt of all.
    And the honor of one is the honor of all.
    And whatever we do affects everything in the universe.

    If you do it that way – that is,
    if you truly join your heart and mind
    as One – whatever you ask for,
    that’s the Way It’s Going To Be.

    Passed down from White Buffalo Calf Woman

    (by the way, it is considered racist here to refer to a Native American as a Red Indian. -just so you know). My personal preference is to refer to the Nation or "tribe" the person is from but that is usually not possible.

    コチシカKeromelobsterDavid
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited March 22

    @Gui said:

    Casinos are the only way some nations have to avoid complete poverty. They are not governed in this way by the State. And I love the irony of whites "donating" their last dollars they worship in their stench of greed and desperation after stealing everything.

    • just wanted to add this:

    Lakota Instructions for Living

    Friend do it this way – that is,
    whatever you do in life,
    do the very best you can
    with both your heart and mind.

    And if you do it that way,
    the Power Of The Universe
    will come to your assistance,
    if your heart and mind are in Unity.

    When one sits in the Hoop Of The People,
    one must be responsible because
    All of Creation is related.
    And the hurt of one is the hurt of all.
    And the honor of one is the honor of all.
    And whatever we do affects everything in the universe.

    If you do it that way – that is,
    if you truly join your heart and mind
    as One – whatever you ask for,
    that’s the Way It’s Going To Be.

    Passed down from White Buffalo Calf Woman

    (by the way, it is considered racist here to refer to a Native American as a Red Indian. -just so you know). My personal preference is to refer to the Nation or "tribe" the person is from but that is usually not possible.

    Isn't it funny the way things work? I consider it racist when someone calls me a "white". I think it is a harmful way to identify on a few different levels.

    Personally, I think "pink" is more accurate and as a bonus it ruffles the feathers of many racists.

    lobsterコチシカKerome
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

    @David said:

    @Gui said:

    Casinos are the only way some nations have to avoid complete poverty. They are not governed in this way by the State. And I love the irony of whites "donating" their last dollars they worship in their stench of greed and desperation after stealing everything.

    • just wanted to add this:

    Lakota Instructions for Living

    Friend do it this way – that is,
    whatever you do in life,
    do the very best you can
    with both your heart and mind.

    And if you do it that way,
    the Power Of The Universe
    will come to your assistance,
    if your heart and mind are in Unity.

    When one sits in the Hoop Of The People,
    one must be responsible because
    All of Creation is related.
    And the hurt of one is the hurt of all.
    And the honor of one is the honor of all.
    And whatever we do affects everything in the universe.

    If you do it that way – that is,
    if you truly join your heart and mind
    as One – whatever you ask for,
    that’s the Way It’s Going To Be.

    Passed down from White Buffalo Calf Woman

    (by the way, it is considered racist here to refer to a Native American as a Red Indian. -just so you know). My personal preference is to refer to the Nation or "tribe" the person is from but that is usually not possible.

    Isn't it funny the way things work? I consider it racist when someone calls me a "white". I think it is a harmful way to identify on a few different levels.

    Personally, I think "pink" is more accurate and as a bonus it ruffles the feathers of many racists.

    Yeah, I don't particularly like being lumped in with "whites" either. But I'm a bit of a sensitive soul :)

    David
  • KeromeKerome Certainty is the enemy of wonder The Continent Veteran

    @David said:
    Personally, I think "pink" is more accurate and as a bonus it ruffles the feathers of many racists.

    I wouldn’t mind being called pink or possibly light beige. But personally I don’t like thinking of people in groups, we are all unique individuals and comparison isn’t a good way to go.

    Davidlobster
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited March 24

    @Kerome said:

    @David said:
    Personally, I think "pink" is more accurate and as a bonus it ruffles the feathers of many racists.

    I wouldn’t mind being called pink or possibly light beige. But personally I don’t like thinking of people in groups, we are all unique individuals and comparison isn’t a good way to go.

    You're speaking my language but I don't mind comparison so much because our diversity is part of our beauty and our usefulness to the whole lies in our uniqueness.

    It is when our differences are made out to be fundamental and "better than" that I get nervous and when we identify by tone of skin, we put up barriers. Our skin is definitely borrowed so what does that say about the many shades?

    It is not the same as recognizing and taking responsibility for our blood line as the blood lines flow like rivers back from a single source if the most current and widely accepted model is correct. That divergence is not at all implied and is rather lost when we identify by skin tone. It implies a more stark, opposing and fundamental difference than is the reality. Unless one lives with albinism, we have shade and tone to our skin and the term "white people" only serves to make us appear as "other".

    Very unhealthy.

    And beige? I guess it works better than "white" but I am looking forward to calling out the pink supremacists for some absurd reason.

    Bunks
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited March 25

    Beyonce is a bit off base and socially tone deaf there. That said, she isn't exactly wrong. People of Colour doesnt describe those identifying as Black unless we're being inclusive of everyone but us pink-skins. It is a rather crude umbrella term to cover anyone that is seen as neither Black, Indigenous or "white".

    BIPOC stands for Black, Indigenous and People of Colour.

    Although, I see everybody as Indigenous because I see it all as the same place. I understand the world is getting more and more polarized and that makes it harder to reconcile. This planet and the resources we share are finite so also borrowed and we keep multiplying. There has to be a way to come together without viewing each other as fundamentally different or the next steps we take are going to be disasterous. Together, we are one.

    If I am trying to pick someone out of a crowd and their skin is darker than everyone else, I'll say "the one with the darkest skin" instead of saying "the Black one". I understand it is socially acceptable and even easier but I do personally feel identifying as " black, white, brown, red and yellow" is harmful for us and to be the change -again for myself personally- is to not identify myself or others through or by such divisive terms.

    Our differences should not divide us but show us our different sides and cultures.

    That's the last I will say in this thread in that vein because the topic veered, sorry. I am a bit passionate about our hate problem.

  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran

    Hmm
    I'm reminded of this ....

    When I was born I was black
    When I was sad I was black
    When I was hot I was black
    When I was sick I was black
    When I was scared I was black

    When you was born you was pink
    When you was sad you was blue
    When you was hot you was red
    When you was sick you was green
    When you was scared you was yellow

    And you call me colored.

    ~Edore oyakhilome~

    Davidlobster
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited March 25

    The edited version of my last post has made this one redundant.

    Apologies

Sign In or Register to comment.