Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Consciousness and rebirth

AlexAlex UK Veteran

That consciousness that you have now.

That sees these words. Through those eyes.

Smells that food cooking.

Hears that gorgeous overture.

What happens to it after death ?

Oblivion ?

Transference to another entity ?

Comments

  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 27

    Consciousness is awareness. It's a subtle form of energy. When we relinquish our last breath, we are unaware, and the consciousness is not active.
    So Consciousness is Energy.
    Which is neither created, nor destroyed.
    I cannot stipulate exactly where it goes. But I have the theory or personal perception, that a little fragment of my energy once manifested in Napoleon... and Ptolemy. And maybe, even Hitler... Show me I am wrong...?

    Alexlobster
  • AlexAlex UK Veteran
    edited March 27

    Thanks @federica I spend more time than is healthy thinking about this stuff 👍

  • KeromeKerome Certainty is the enemy of wonder The Continent Veteran

    Alexlobster
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

    Is the consciousness that sees out the window the same as sees the back of my hand? If the object of consciousness changes is the consciousness the same?

    Is the consciousness that looks out the window today the same one that looked out yesterday? And will look outside tomorrow? The same one that was a toddler?

    AlexlobsterRen_in_black
  • KeromeKerome Certainty is the enemy of wonder The Continent Veteran

    Besides that, I’m a bit of a fan of the theory of consciousness as something we receive. Think of the brain as a television set, and consciousness as the signal. So it kinda is eternal.

    Another idea I’m fond of is recycling. You see it everywhere in nature, everything gets recycled. Why not our minds when we die? Kind of a repurposing of the thinking part.

    AlexRen_in_black
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

    @Kerome, I'm looking forward to that film!!

    Alex
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited March 28

    @Alex said:
    That consciousness that you have now.

    That sees these words. Through those eyes.

    Smells that food cooking.

    Hears that gorgeous overture.

    What happens to it after death ?

    Oblivion ?

    Transference to another entity ?

    "I Am" under the impression....(Well a theory "I" can't quite prove)

    Nothing happens to consciousness itself, it from what I gather is ever flowing/ever present.... However the bundle of energy flux held together by karmic glue AKA the psycho-physical phenomenon called me & you (the self)...ceases to exist in its present form...Ashes to ashes dust to dust, into accumulated karma we are thrust...

    When conditions are right, the karmic energy pattern/s (imprint/s) transfers itself to another suitable bundle of developing energy flux, imprinting itself onto a new form which is ripe for the picking so to speak...

    The ever present consciousness picks up where it left off, only this time it fires up the "I" (karmic warts and all) in a slightly different form (according to accumulated karma)...And a presto "I Am" here (be it in a new form)...along with six new sense doors/portholes which consciousness operates through...

    However... even though I Am not quite the same as the previous I Am..."I" tend to share some of the same ignorant traits as the old "I" ... old accumulated habits die hard....

    Alexコチシカ
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

    @Jeffrey said:
    Is the consciousness that sees out the window the same as sees the back of my hand? If the object of consciousness changes is the consciousness the same?

    How to see things as they really are. If you use an aware Consciousness, I would say yes. If your awareness is polluted by perception and bias, I would say, no.

    Is the consciousness that looks out the window today the same one that looked out yesterday? And will look outside tomorrow? The same one that was a toddler?

    No. It's like the clouds...
    It also depends how influenced Consciousness is affected by Mindfulness... If the effect is great, possibly. If one is not Mindful, then, no.

    Alex
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

    @Shoshin1 said:

    @Alex said:
    That consciousness that you have now.

    That sees these words. Through those eyes.

    Smells that food cooking.

    Hears that gorgeous overture.

    What happens to it after death ?

    Oblivion ?

    Transference to another entity ?

    "I Am" under the impression....(Well a theory "I" can't quite prove)

    Nothing happens to consciousness itself, it from what I gather is ever flowing/ever present.... However the bundle of energy flux held together by karmic glue AKA the psycho-physical phenomenon called me & you (the self)...ceases to exist in its present form...Ashes to ashes dust to dust, into accumulated karma we are thrust...

    When conditions are right, the karmic energy pattern/s (imprint/s) transfers itself to another suitable bundle of developing energy flux, imprinting itself onto a new form which is ripe for the picking so to speak...

    The ever present consciousness picks up where it left off, only this time it fires up the "I" (karmic warts and all) in a slightly different form (according to accumulated karma)...And a presto "I Am" here (be it in a new form)...along with six new sense doors/portholes which consciousness operates through...

    However... even though I Am not quite the same as the previous I Am..."I" tend to share some of the same ignorant traits as the old "I" ... old accumulated habits die hard....

    This is why I have heard it said that the most vital moment of your Life, is the moment of your Death.

    Who Are You, And Where Are You Going?

    Alex
  • KeromeKerome Certainty is the enemy of wonder The Continent Veteran

    @federica said:
    @Kerome, I'm looking forward to that film!!

    It’s out now... you can see it on Disney+ or buy it on iTunes. I saw it the other day, it’s really good.

    Alex
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran

    @federica said:

    This is why I have heard it said that the most vital moment of your Life, is the moment of your Death.

    There's a Tibetan practice which involves consciousness at the moment of death
    One visualises consciousness leaving the body through the crown of the head
    Phowa practice

    Alexlobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

    Who Are You, And Where Are You Going?

    There I was waiting for a life form that asks these very questions.
    Too late I realised death is not the time to question.

    Now is. Who guessed?

    I iz alive (conscious) and I am gonna die. Tee Hee!

  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

    @federica said:
    Consciousness is awareness. It's a subtle form of energy. When we relinquish our last breath, we are unaware, and the consciousness is not active.
    So Consciousness is Energy.
    Which is neither created, nor destroyed.
    I cannot stipulate exactly where it goes. But I have the theory or personal perception, that a little fragment of my energy once manifested in Napoleon... and Ptolemy. And maybe, even Hitler... Show me I am wrong...?

    Hearing it like that makes me picture our planets hydrological system.

    Alex
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

    ..."Water, water everywhere, Nor any drop to drink..."

    ( 'The Rime of the Ancient Mariner', by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.)

    AlexBunks
  • AlexAlex UK Veteran

    @federica That’s such a great poem. Interestingly, I often take refuge in a bit of poetry :-

    • Coleridge
    • Wordsworth
    • Southey

    Yes, I’m a Lakes poet geek.

    Also :-

    • Rumi
    • Zen poets, specifically Chinese 4th century folks.
    • Haiku (Basho, Issa).

    Are you a poetry fan ?

  • KeromeKerome Certainty is the enemy of wonder The Continent Veteran
    edited March 29

    I am, from time to time. Love a bit of Hakim Sanai, or Rumi, or Ikkyū. I love the sufi poets. But i like all kinds of eclectic poems, such as Seng’can’s Inscription on the Faith Mind, or Khalil Gibran’s The Prophet, which is almost poetry.

    I have once heard it said that all enlightened people are also poets, although not all poets are enlightened.

    Alex
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 29

    @Alex said:
    @federica That’s such a great poem. Interestingly, I often take refuge in a bit of poetry :-

    • Coleridge
    • Wordsworth
    • Southey

    Yes, I’m a Lakes poet geek.

    Also :-

    • Rumi
    • Zen poets, specifically Chinese 4th century folks.
    • Haiku (Basho, Issa).

    Are you a poetry fan ?

    Oh, the Romantics... Browning, and his wife Elizabeth Barrett, Kipling, Wordsworth, Shakespeare, Keats, Robert Frost, Lee Hunt...
    My favourite Poem is Home Thoughts From Abroad, which I first HEARD recited by my now sadly deceased ex-Mother-in-Law... She spoke it in a soft, lilting Hampshire accent, and it blew me away... so much so that I set to memorising it immediately, and I await the first of April every year to celebrate its existence...
    The first poem I ever voluntarily memorised was The Daffodils, by Wordsworth (his sister was also incredibly talented) and then Shakespeare's 'Winter'...
    And how can you ever fail to be charmed by -

    "Shall I compare thee to a Summer's Day?
    Thou art more lovely, and more temperate;
    Rough winds do shake the Darling Buds of May
    And Summer's lease hath all too short a date..
    Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
    And often is his gold complexion dimm'd;
    And every fair from fair sometime declines,
    By chance or nature’s changing course untrimm'd;
    But thy eternal summer shall not fade,
    Nor lose possession of that fair thou ow’st;
    Nor shall death brag thou wander’st in his shade,
    When in eternal lines to time thou grow’st:
    So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
    So long lives this, and this gives life to thee."

    I mean. Wow.

    Talk about off-topic. Apologies!

    AlexJeffreylobsterDavid
  • AlexAlex UK Veteran
    edited March 29

    @federica Beautiful. No apologies, there’s no off-topic ! It’s all absorption.....have you noticed how the poems often embody mindfulness in their inner observations and those of nature ?

  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

    @federica said:
    ..."Water, water everywhere, Nor any drop to drink..."

    ( 'The Rime of the Ancient Mariner', by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.)

    Iron Maiden also put together a wonderful interpretation of it (if that's your kind of thing!)

    Alex
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 30

    @Alex said:
    @federica Beautiful. No apologies, there’s no off-topic ! It’s all absorption.....have you noticed how the poems often embody mindfulness in their inner observations and those of nature ?

    Yes. I would say an awful lot of Poetry verbalises the Poet's own musings and focus, or concentration on an aspect of life... it brings you at one with him - or her - and they're sharing their moment of clarity with you...

    The curfew tolls the knell of parting day,
    The lowing herd wind slowly o'er the lea,
    The plowman homeward plods his weary way,
    And leaves the world to darkness and to me.

    Such evocative lines put you at once in the exact place Gray is standing to observe the evening's conclusion... you can almost feel the effort of the ploughman's gait...

    Have you read Abou Ben Adhem and the Angel? Goodness, it gives me goosebumps every time...

    Alex
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

    @Bunks, I shall give it a listen later today... my hearing isn't what it should be... Iron maiden ain't exactly Chamber Music...

    AlexKeromeBunks
  • AlexAlex UK Veteran

    @federica I did not know Abou Ben Adhem, thank you for bringing that into my life, very beautiful 🙏🏻

    federica
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

    @Bunks said:

    @federica said:
    ..."Water, water everywhere, Nor any drop to drink..."

    ( 'The Rime of the Ancient Mariner', by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.)

    Iron Maiden also put together a wonderful interpretation of it (if that's your kind of thing!)

    Well that was most..."interesting"... Coleridge I am sure, would have enjoyed it... maybe for all the wrong reasons. Or possibly, the right ones...

    As is well known, Samuel Taylor Coleridge was an opium addict. He took opium in the form of laudanum, that is to say tincture of opium in alcohol, which he drank by the pint.

    AlexBunks
  • ScottPenScottPen Maryland Veteran

    Consciousness is an experience. It's a state of being that requires a set of conditions in order for it to exist.

    What happens to it after death?

    Just as with all other experiences, when the conditions required to bring it about are no longer present, it no longer exists.

    The products of consciousness will continue forever in an infinite string of cause and effect.

    Alex
Sign In or Register to comment.