Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Idle speech, right speech...

JohnCobbJohnCobb Hot Springs Arkansas Explorer

If in conversation with someone and you are tempted to speak evil, because of the other person's conversation or because of your own thoughts about whatever is being spoken on, or you begin to think bad thoughts, what's a nice, polite way to break free of the conversation?
I know we are not to entertain bad speech in our conversations either, so if, say I'm having a conversation with my boss (can't really walk away from him (this is hypothetical)), and he begins talking bad about a fellow employee, should I ask him to refrain from speaking thus? This question applies to any situation you may not be able to walk away from because of who you are speaking with, boss, spouse, police officer, whomever.

Shoshin1

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

It depends on the situation.

I generally mind my own business when it comes to what others say unless I can see it's getting out of hand! Then a gentle persuasive comment here and there may suffice.

"Ah well, none of us is perfect...."

That kind of thing.

On a bad day though I might join in hehe :)

JohnCobbShoshin1lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Be polite and kind.

If that does not work, shoot them

eh … I may have left out a few steps … :p

JohnCobbBunksShoshin1
  • KeromeKerome Lovingness is the way The Continent Veteran

Anecdotes work well sometimes. I usually begin with “well that puts me in mind of…” and then I launch into a short, sometimes relevant story. It’s a good way to get the conversation onto a different track.

JohnCobblobsterBunksShoshin1
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

We can not easily walk away from those we are dependent on, relatives, neighbours, gang members, our past, service providers etc.

It depends on skilful reframing
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_reframing

… or Noble Silence

Or developing Right Speech skills

JohnCobb