Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A monk’s own experience of Military brutality in Myanmar

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I think the name says it all 😪

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I don’t understand how countries can do this to their own people???

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

You do have to ask exactly who is doing it… often there are people of shady backgrounds who are not afraid of violence and hurting people, and they end up in paramilitary units which get associated with the government. I imagine there probably are good people, but they are not on the front line.

I watched some of the video, it’s definitely a sign of how bad things are that even monks, who are usually respected figures in the community, get this kind of treatment.

• Very tragic their history. Myanmmar has been suffering for so long. They have been experiencing hardship after hardship...

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I see the original post has now been removed from YouTube

https://www.myanmar-now.org/en

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

It makes me truly sick to my stomach. Literally. I read things like this and it nauseates me.

• @Bunks said:
    I don’t understand how countries can do this to their own people???

I did not get a chance to view the original video but I will attempt to answer why brutality, aggression and exploitation is prevalent in humanity. Hopefully that is on topic.

Just watched 'The Suicide Squad' movie. It is exceptionally violent in the same gratuitous way as 'Deadpool'. Great fun. Some of us are titillated and stimulated by violence. Hence sport, movies, martial arts and nazism. Yep, some cathartic and some extreme behaviour. To put it kindly.

There is not just monkey mind but monkey being. Human animals.

Fortunately we can become aware of such tendencies and train and discipline this biology. Not everyone does.

I feel it is a useful and pertinent question. In many ways Buddhism and other spiritualities attempt to overcome any innate violence, unkindness, brutality. These negative qualities are part of ignorance in Buddhist dharma.

Bunks