Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What do we owe our children?

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I have two primary school age children.
Generally speaking, I provide the following four things for them:
1. A roof over the heads
2. Three meals a day
3. Access to a good education
4. Unconditional love and support

Am I missing anything?

Shoshin1Jeroen

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2021

Teaching them what they need to know, rather than what it is politically-considered they should know. (#3 on your list.)
    Start with the breath, and move on to kindness, peace and generosity.

BunksyagrJohnCobb
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I would make a list of all the things you wish you had known at eighteen but didn’t find out until much later, and they didn’t teach you in school, and start there. I think the habit of self-development is a good one, and worth teaching early, in a kind of “here’s an hour supplementary to school”.

BunksyagrJohnCobb
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

You don’t have kids @Kerome ?

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

No @Bunks when I was 16 I thought there were enough humans on planet Earth, and I’ve stuck to that. I could have adopted, but never found the right relationship for it.

BunksJohnCobb
  • What do we owe our children?

A clean unpolluted planet...

BunksFosdickyagrJohnCobb
  • Beautiful @yagr <3

yagr
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Am I missing anything?

… perhaps a wider definition of children:

• our actions give birth to 'karmic/resulting children'
    • during senility if happening, we may end up children … and children parents
    • in vajrayana everyone ideally is treated kindly as a mother or child being
    • thoughts are our children?

… and now back to the responsible …

BunksJohnCobb

Thanks @yagr <3

yagr
  • We owe them our protection...

We owe them the right to be children...

We owe them the right to be who they are...

BunkslobsterJohnCobb

All these things, and yet, as someone who doesn’t have children, it seems to me that it is very easy to get caught up in the lives of ones children. It’s like you have a focus on your own life, and your attention is pulled away in caring for and caring about the children and one’s loved one. I wonder what a Buddhist monk might have to say about this…

Bunks

@Kerome said:
    All these things, and yet, as someone who doesn’t have children, it seems to me that it is very easy to get caught up in the lives of ones children. It’s like you have a focus on your own life, and your attention is pulled away in caring for and caring about the children and one’s loved one. I wonder what a Buddhist monk might have to say about this…

Perhaps it would depend on whether the monk had children or not?
    I always find it funny that people go to monks for parenting and marital advice haha.

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

And don't get me started on marital/parental advice from Catholic Priests. No, really. Please don't.

BunksShoshin1JohnCobb