Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

No Buddhist Quotes

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

“Q: The memory of my wonderful experiences haunts me. I want them back.
    A: Because you want them back, you cannot have them. The state of craving for anything blocks all deeper experience. Nothing of value can happen to a mind which knows exactly what it wants. For nothing the mind can visualise and want is of much value.”

— Talks with Nisargadatta Maharaj

33_3
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

“Q: Why do desires arise at all?
    M: Because you imagine that you were born, and that you will die if you do not take care of your
    body. Desire for embodied existence is the root-cause of trouble.”

— Talks with Nisargadatta Maharaj

“Gandhi is dead, yet his mind pervades the earth. The thought of a jnani pervades humanity and works ceaselessly for good. Being anonymous, coming from within, it is the more powerful and compelling. That is how the world improves -- the inner aiding and blessing the outer. When a jnani dies, he is no more, in the same sense in which a river is no more when it merges in the sea, the name, the shape, are no more, but the water remains and becomes one with the ocean. When a jnani joins the universal mind, all his goodness and wisdom become the heritage of humanity and uplift every human being.”

— Nisargadatta Maharaj

Jeffrey
  • Everything evolves, will come to mean...Nothing is true

~Fred Nietzsche~

• The Need for a Guru

"They’re called Upa Gurus, as opposed to Sat Gurus. The Sat Guru is somebody who beckons from beyond. He’s somebody who’s all finished. The Upa Guru is anybody or anything along the way that points to the path that helps you along a little. So that even your enemies are often your Upa Gurus because they wake you up to a place you’re not, which helps you to get free of that place, which helps you get on with it. So you learn to honor everybody you meet as your teacher when you see that there is nothing else you can do but be conscious, for the good of yourself and all your fellow men, and to bring you closer to the place you’re trying most to get to by all the other means you thought you were working on.
    You begin to see that everything in your universe becomes your teacher." - Ram Dass

Shoshin1lobsterJeroen

“Theories are neither right nor wrong. They are attempts at explaining the inexplicable. It is not the theory that matters, but the way it is being tested. It is the testing of the theory that makes it fruitful. Experiment with any theory you like -- if you are truly earnest and honest, the attainment of reality will be yours. As a living being you are caught in an untenable and painful situation and you are seeking a way out. You are being offered several plans of your prison, none quite true. But they all are of some value, only if you are in dead earnest. It is the earnestness that liberates and not the theory.”

— Nisargadatta Maharaj

Jeffrey
  • "If you fear you shall suffer...You already suffer what you fear"

~Michel de Montague~

lobsterBunks
    edited August 2021

“Love means, be egoless. Love means, be centered. Love means, remain blissful. Love means, be grateful. This is what the meaning is: live through your being, not through your acts, because acts are on the surface, being is in the depth.

Let things come out of your being. Don’t manage and control your actions, transform your being. The real thing is not what you do, the real thing is what you are.”

— Osho

• birdsbirds israel New

After all, it is no more suprising to me to be born twice than it is to be born once, Voltaire

“Jesus said: the Kingdom is like a shepherd who had one hundred sheep. One of them went astray, which was the largest. He left behind the ninety-nine, he sought for the one until he found it. Having tired himself out, he said to the sheep: I love thee more than the ninety-nine.”

— Jesus, from the Gospel of Thomas

• lobsterBunksJeroen

“If boredom is used rightly it is going to create serenity, peacefulness and a state of hypnosis. And hypnosis is healthy: It is not meditation, but it still somehow reflects meditation. It is like the moon reflected in the water; it is not the moon, but this is still a reflection of the moon.”

— Osho

“ I have never had a master, and I am fortunate that I never had a master. I have been, in my past lives, with a few living masters. They were beautiful people, lovable, but one thing has been clear all along to me -- that nobody can be a source of inspiration for me, because that word `inspiration' is dangerous.
    First it is inspiration, then it becomes following, then it becomes imitation -- and you end up being a carbon copy. There is no need to be inspired by anybody. Not only is there no need, it is dangerous too. Just watching, I have seen... each individual is unique. He cannot follow anybody else.”

— Osho

lobster

“And all these beautiful names -- Lao Tzu, Chuang Tzu, Lieh Tzu, Bodhidharma, Nagarjuna, Pythagoras, Socrates, Heraclitus, Epicurus -- all these beautiful names which have been a great inspiration to many people were themselves never inspired by anybody. That's how they protected their originality; that's how they remained themselves.
    I have been with masters, and I have loved them. But to me the very desire to be like them is ugly. One man is enough; a second like him will not enrich existence, it will only burden it.”

— Osho

lobster
  • "Inside or outside yourself you never have to change what you see, only the way you see it"

~Thaddeus Golas~

“The whole existence is simple, but man's mind has been cultivated, conditioned, educated, programmed in such a way that the simplest thing becomes crooked. The moment it reaches to your mind it is no longer simple. The mind starts interpreting it, finding things in it which are not there, ignoring things which are there.”

— Osho

“In all the armies around the world only one thing is taught through years of training, and that is obedience. In Germany, in the second world war, there were good people, but they were heads of concentration camps. They were good fathers, good husbands, good friends. Nobody could have conceived -- watching them in their families, with their friends, in the club -- that these people are burning thousands of Jews every day.
    And they were not feeling guilty at all, because it is only an order from above. And that is their whole training, that you have to follow the order. It has become part of their blood and their bones and their marrow. When the order comes, obedience is the only way.
    This is how man has lived up to now, and that's why I say obedience is one of the greatest crimes, because all other crimes are born out of it. It deprives you of intelligence, it deprives you of decisiveness, it deprives you of responsibility. It destroys you as an individual. It converts you into a robot.”

— Osho

“Now, perhaps I am the first person who wants to make it understood by everyone that love changes: it begins, it comes of age, it becomes old, it dies. And I think it is good the way it is. It gives you many more chances of loving other people, to make life richer -- because each person has something special to contribute to you. The more you love, the more rich you are, the more loving you become.”

— Osho

• You can lead a person to the thirst quenching Dharma...But you can't make them drink

lobster
  • Man's most valuable trait is a judicious sense
    of what not to believe.

Euripides

Shoshin1

“Real love is a real roseflower: it is going to change. From morning to evening it is going to take different shapes, different shades, and by the evening it will be gone. And I don't think that there is anything wrong.”

— Osho

“Logic is the way of winning in the society.
    Be logical, and it will be easier for you to climb the ladders.
    I said, "I would like to remain true to existence -- and existence is absurd. It has no logic, it has no meaning. It has immense beauty, it has tremendous possibilities for ecstasy, but you cannot make a logical system out of it."”

— Osho

“It is a vicious circle: the society creates the sick saint, the sick saint creates the sick society -- and it goes on and on. I have no part in this sickness, the so-called spirituality. I am just a contented, fulfilled human being. What more do you want? And what more can spirituality be?
    We want people to be fulfilled and contented, and this journey towards contentment, fulfillment, enlightenment should start with the body. You cannot begin from anywhere else. You can begin only from the beginning.”

— Osho

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2021

"If you can laugh in the face of Adversity, you're Fucking bullet-proof."

Ricky Jervais

Shoshin1
  • "It ain't over till its over" Yogi Bera

• I have no part in this sickness, the so-called spirituality.

LOL 🦞 Sick!
    https://readyforroad.com/osho-cult/

The writer seems to have quite a few issues and hang-ups.

“Every advantage has its disadvantage.”

— Johan Cruijff

“All the religions have been teaching this -- that to be man means going above nature -- and they have convinced centuries of humanity to go above nature. Nobody has succeeded in going above nature. All that they have succeeded in, is destroying their natural, spontaneous beauty, their innocence.
    Man need not transcend nature.
    I say unto you, man has to fulfill nature -- which no animal can do. That is the difference.”

— Osho

“Just try to understand that we are so small compared to this immense universe; what we do or don't do makes no difference to existence. We are not to be serious about it. I was not here and existence continued; I will not be here, and existence will continue. I should not take myself seriously.”

— Osho

“Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does. It is up to you to give [life] a meaning.”

― Jean-Paul Sartre

• "You have to ask yourself the question...'Who am I ?'
    The question is not really meant to get an answer
    It is meant to dissolve the questioner."

~Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi~

lobsterJeroen

“He was free, free in every way, free to behave like a fool or a machine, free to accept, free to refuse, free to equivocate; to marry, to give up the game, to drag this dead weight about with him for years to come. He could do what he liked, no one had the right to advise him, there would be for him no Good or Evil unless he thought them into being.”

― Jean-Paul Sartre

“For many have but one resource to sustain them in their misery, and that is to think, “Circumstances have been against me, I was worthy to be something much better than I have been. I admit I have never had a great love or a great friendship; but that is because I never met a man or a woman who were worthy of it; if I have not written any very good books, it is because I had not the leisure to do so; or, if I have had no children to whom I could devote myself it is because I did not find the man I could have lived with. So there remains within me a wide range of abilities, inclinations and potentialities, unused but perfectly viable, which endow me with a worthiness that could never be inferred from the mere history of my actions.” But in reality and for the existentialist, there is no love apart from the deeds of love; no potentiality of love other than that which is manifested in loving; there is no genius other than that which is expressed in works of art.”

― Jean-Paul Sartre

“The consciousness that says 'I am' is not the consciousness that thinks.”

― Jean-Paul Sartre

“Every man is a creature of the age in which he lives and few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of the time.”

― Voltaire

“Prejudices are what fools use for reason.”

― Voltaire

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Live without pretending.
    Love without depending.
    Listen without defending.
    Speak without offending.

-Drake

lobster
    edited September 2021

“When I say that except for man everything is living truth -- the ocean, the clouds, the stars, the stones, the flowers -- that everything is nothing but truthfulness, nothing but just itself, with no mask, and only man is capable of deceiving others, of deceiving himself -- it has to be remembered that this is a great opportunity. It has not to be condemned, it has to be praised, because even if a rosebush or a lotus wants to lie, it cannot. Its truth is not freedom; its truth is a bondage. It cannot go beyond the boundaries.
    Man has the prerogative, the privilege of being untrue. That means man has the freedom to choose. If he chooses to be truthful, he is not choosing bondage, he is choosing truth and freedom. Freedom is his privilege. In the whole of existence, nobody else has that freedom.”

— Osho

“Just try once in a while: Let the mind be whatever it is. Remember, you are not it. And you are going to have a great surprise. As you are less identified, the mind starts becoming less powerful, because its power comes from your identification; it sucks your blood. But when you start standing aloof and away, the mind starts shrinking.
    The day you are completely unidentified with the mind, even for a single moment, there is the revelation: mind simply dies; it is no longer there. Where it was so full, where it was so continuous -- day in, day out, waking, sleeping, it was there -- suddenly it is not there. You look all around and it is emptiness, it is nothingness.
    And with the mind disappears the self. Then there is only a certain quality of awareness, with no "I" in it. At the most you can call it something similar to "am-ness," but not "I- ness." To be even more exact, it is "is-ness" because even in am-ness some shadow of the "I" is still there. The moment you know its is-ness, it has become universal.”

— Osho

“I don't give you anything and I don't take anything away. Whatever happens in you simply happens in you; I am not more than a catalytic agent.”

— Osho

edited September 2021

“The question ‘who am I?’ is not meant to get an answer,
    the question ‘who am I?’ is meant to dissolve the questioner.”

— Sri Ramana Maharshi

pegembara

“In our western culture, we make the suffering of samsara noble. It is almost a sacrilege to imagine that you are not a problem to be solved. We are never expected to actually hop off this wheel of suffering and wake up from this trance of ‘me’.”

— Adyashanti

• "Beware of false knowledge...It is more dangerous than ignorance"

~George Bernard Shaw~

lobsterKotishka
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited September 2021

Good one @Shoshin1 from George Bernard Shaw, a committed atheist vegetarian. Here are some more …

“The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.”

“My way of joking is to tell the truth. It’s the funniest joke in the world.”

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

“We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience.”

“The liar’s punishment is, not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else.”

Shoshin1

“What we call reality is in fact nothing more than a culturally sanctioned and linguistically reinforced hallucination.”

— Terence McKenna

• "If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything"

~Mark Twain~

lobsterDavid
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

lobsterJeroenShoshin1Kotishka