Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Seven Dimensions of Depression

Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
edited November 2021 in General Banter

Depression is alive and well, especially during this pandemic....
Interesting Big Think talk...

May those in need find this of benefit <3

BunksyagrJeroenAlexlobster

Comments

• Excellent video. Hopefully my sister who has depression will watch it. I had to learn a lot to help her.

• Diet
    • She is doing things again and moving towards exercise
    • Cognitive reframing to effect neuroplaticity
    • Family support

etc

Shoshin1
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Cold showers, @lobster ...?

• No cold showers. I have described the win hoff benefits … but I have to provide options and let her find her way … which is happening …

Ren_in_blackfederica
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

You are doing wonderful things to help your family @lobster. I hope all is well with you.

Shoshin1
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2021

My daughter is feeling the pressure. She has a lot on her plate, and could do with a 'mental Health' day which I believe is quite a thing in the USA.. we need to catch up here I think... She is a single mum, and has had to engineer a house move on her own, (from Farnborough to Newark) including finding somewhere to live, plus still working full time, bring up her son, who's now started secondary school, and travel a 206-round trip twice a week to 'man' the office... Her Boss asked her for a break-down of everything she does. But she's such a multi-tasker at work she didn't know what to tell him. So I suggested she make a recford of her 5 working days and let him know exactly what she does. She really deserves a pay rise. And she's stressed. She broke down today, when I went to visit her. I made lunch, which was delicious, and I think she felt better afterwards, but it's hard...

WalkerShoshin1Kotishka
  • Sorry to hear your daughter is going through a hard time at the moment @federica ..It's good that she's got your support...Just being there for her/a listening ear so to speak,, having somebody who she can offload to is important, and whose not going to judge... With your support and patience, hopefully she will ride this out soon....

I'm sure she shall... she's a good one at bouncing, and isn't down for long, but several things have all conspired to hit her at once, and she's feeling tired... She knows I'm always here for her...

Shoshin1
  • That's good to hear @federica

I'm reminded of Rumi's poem "The Guest House"

This being human is a guest house.
    Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness, some momentary awareness comes
    as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!

Even if they’re a crowd of sorrows, who violently sweep your house empty of its furniture, still, treat each guest honorably.

He may be clearing you out for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice, meet them at the door laughing,
    and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes, because each has been sent as a guide from beyond.

JeroenFosdickKotishkaFleaMarket