Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Engaging with Freedom

2»

Comments

• It seems to me, Freedom an illusion when we are Not Giving from the Heart Unconditionally.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited January 2023

This has some interesting things to say on the topic of freedom. It is basically about whether freedom is possible without bringing in one’s relationships, namely that part of our lives to do with the world outside ourselves, and to what extent that can be achieved without freeing onesself from the contents of the mind. It is an audiobook, but if you have four hours to spare it’s worthwhile, juding from the first half hour or so that I’ve listened to so far.

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited January 2023

You want to be free of all the layers of mental conditioning placed on your mind by your parents, their parents before them etc, the education system, society, religious teachers etc.

“What I’m leading you to is the following: awareness of reality around you. Awareness means to watch, to observe what is going on within you and around you. ‘Going on’ is pretty accurate: Trees, grass, flowers, animals, rock, all of reality is moving. One observes it, one watches it. How essential it is for the human being not just to observe himself or herself, but to watch all of reality. Are you imprisoned by your concepts? Do you want to break out of your prison? Then look; observe; spend hours observing. Watching what? Anything. The faces of people, the shapes of trees, a bird in flight, a pile of stones, watch the grass grow. Get in touch with things, look at them. Hopefully you will then break out of these rigid patterns we have all developed, out of what our thoughts and our words have imposed on us. Hopefully we will see. What will we see? This thing that we choose to call reality, whatever is beyond words and concepts. This is a spiritual exercise—connected with spirituality—connected with breaking out of your cage, out of the imprisonment of the concepts and words.

Anthony de Mello

I want to break free, I want to break free
    I want to break free from your lies

lobster

Perhaps freedom can only be found in no-mind, that all forms of mind are pattern which is a kind of constraint. It might be said that senses are bound to the mind as well, and sensing anything would cause a thought to arise, which might cause a feeling to arise.