Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Where can I find buddhist dharma?

RixhRixh Australia New

Hi all,
It's been years since I started practising but little have I read buddhist dharma. Anyone know a good resource in which provides such scriptures?
Any recommendations on what to read and where to start off?
Thakyou very much

Shoshin1

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited August 2023

Well, there are a couple of online magazines, Lion’s Roar and Tricycle, for modern perspectives. Then there are a number of sutra anthologies in book form available from places like Holybooks.com, for example Buddhist Scriptures by Edward Conze and In the Buddha’s Words by Bhikkhu Bodhi. I’d probably start there.

There are various online sutra resources such as Access To Insight which provide study guides for the words of the Buddha. Then you could go to websites such as the Plum Village website from Thich Nhat Hanh’s tradition, or the English-language Thai Forest Monasteries which make various books available in the Theravada tradition. I very much liked The Complete Teachings of Ajahn Chah.

BunksShoshin1FleaMarketlobster
  • Some of those are my favorites too. Also the main page of this forum. Dharma is everywhere to a discerning eye. Look for what's good in the beginning, good in the middle, and good in the end.

Shoshin1lobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

It comes down to sutras and Dhamma talks. YouTube is also a great resource, there are a lot of online Dhamma talks by various teachers on there. If you search for Ajahn Brahm for instance you’ll find a number of videos where he gives talks.

• Dhamma Talks by Thanissaro Bhikkhu on Youtube is another excellent resource with frequent updates. He has many 10-20 minute topic talks with good insights among other content. Very digestible for both new and experienced practicers. Many other channels I've come across have stopped updating but there is still a lot of wisdom out there churning around.

Typically some topic brings me to look for dharma. Using the search on accesstoinsight or suttacentral can bring up relevant sutras and discussions quickly.

edited August 2023
  • Another option is a book store or library

Shoshin1
  • Where can I find buddhist dharma?

Look within...(I couldn't resist it :):) )

Jeroen
  • But on a more serious note "look within" because after listening to Dharma talks and reading Dharma books you will have to look within to truly find was it is you are looking for...

howFleaMarket
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

@Rixh said:
    Hi all,
    It's been years since I started practising but little have I read buddhist dharma. Anyone know a good resource in which provides such scriptures?
    Any recommendations on what to read and where to start off?
    Thakyou very much

Here are two good ones for the suttas of the Pali Canon:
    https://www.accesstoinsight.org/
    https://suttacentral.net/?lang=en

I like https://www.suttafriends.org/ it has good features for helping you find something new every once in a while.