Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Three pieces of wisdom

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran
edited June 12 in Faith & Religion

I wanted to compare these three pieces of wisdom:

The Buddhism of Ajahn Chah
It is all about letting go.

Osho
Don’t take it seriously.

The Diamond Sutra
Regard this phantom world
As a star at dawn, a bubble in a stream,
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud
A flickering lamp - a phantom - and a dream.

Ajahn Chah is not wrong, but by saying ‘let go’ he calls to mind the areas of possessiveness and grasping. Also, holding on is sometimes natural and necessary, and emphasising letting go might lead some towards forcing. Osho on the other hand encourages playfulness with his emphasis on taking things lightly. He accomplishes the same thing, not exerting effort in holding on, but gives it a deeper meaning about not seeing the world as a serious place. The Diamond Sutra goes to more extremes, saying the world should be seen as no more than a phantom of very limited duration, while also encouraging us indirectly not to hold on to the world or even our bodies.

Comments

• Shoshin1Shoshin1 Sentient Being Oceania Veteran

From what I gather/understand
    All three approaches point out the Way, (a case of all roads/paths lead to Rome) but it's up to the seeker's karma to home in on the path ( we're just vibrating bundles of energy flux held together by karmic glue), and this many take awhile to start flowing in the right direction..

"The Great Way is not difficult for those who have no preference"

~Sengstan, Hsin Hsin Ming~

personDavid
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

I have to agree - what the teacher says is nothing more than a hint. Does it resonate with you as an individual, or not? Some will, a lot of them will not, certainly not immediately. You still have to figure out the whole business for yourself.

DavidDagobahZen
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

These things take time to sink in. You take such a small hint and apply it to your life, get used to it, see how it feels and how it acts. I’ve been working with Ajahn Chah’s letting go for a number of years, almost taking it as a personal motto, and it hasn’t always worked out equally well, sometimes it has moved me into going too far. I don’t know the other two as well, but I may have to try them out.

David
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited June 13

I think "let it be" is often more fruitful than "let it go" because the latter can sometimes seem to imply a lack of care.

"Don't take it seriously" depends on what "it" is.

"...bubble in a stream..." Reminding us of temporary existence.

I think all of them are saying not to cling and to let things come and go without identifying. I like these teachings best when Metta and equanimity are obvious within them so nobody has to question whether or not to care.

(Somehow I accidentally posted a laughing icon after @Jeroen's post. If anyone saw it, please know it was unintentional)

JeroenDagobahZen