Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Obsessive views, religion and letting go

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

It seems to me that nearly all religious convictions are of an obsessive nature. I have heard that all obsessive views find their source in the ego — presumably there is something there that is keeping the ego fascinated. For example the Christian faith promises Heaven, the Buddhist faith promises the end of all suffering, Nirvana and no further rebirths.

Now I vaguely recall the Buddha stating that the lore was to be let go towards the end of the journey, and it seems to me true that you have to let go of all obsessive views, all the fascinations of the ego before you even get anywhere near the end.

What do you think about that? Are we on a path to let go of all religion, or even of all strong views?

lobster

Comments