Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Favourite Quotations

Comments

• edited April 2006
    Just got the idea of adding it to my sig, very deep, and food for thought.

"Walk with me through the universe, and along the way see how all of us are connected. Feast the eyes of your soul on the love that abounds, in all places seemingly endless, like your own existence."

It's from Stephen Hawking, and it's a quote that I find pretty cool... I don't know where to post it, but mods feel free to move this to where it's appropriate.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Wow! Beautiful!

Thanks, Greg.

Brigid
  • edited May 2006
    The only constant is change.
    Anonymous
  • edited May 2006
    Be here now

Fritz Perls--not original but the most succinct why of saying it i have found
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    I love him. Would you happen to remember a story about him and another man in an elevator? I read it years ago but have forgotten all the details except that it was a great story. Sorry for being so vague. I thought I'd ask on the off chance.

Brigid
  • edited May 2006
    Sorry i dont not remember. The last time I read any of his books was in the early 70's when I was trying to break free from my training in Rogerean (sp?) counseling.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2006
    aing wrote:
    Sorry i dont not remember. The last time I read any of his books was in the early 70's when I was trying to break free from my training in Rogerean (sp?) counseling.

My own training with Carl Rogers provided me with a springboard not a prison. Interesting. Old fritz was a perfect example of a great therapist who broke all the rules, slept with his patients and healed many. Those were days when all the sexual hangups were thrown away. Pity we went to the bin and took them out again!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited May 2006
    "Sometimes a hotdog is just a hotdog." -- S. Freud

-bf
  • edited May 2006
    Hi Friends,
    For those who may not find happiness to exercise religious faith,it's okay to remain a radical atheist, it's absolutely an individual right, but the important thing is with a compassionate heart -- then no problem.

His Holiness the Dalai Lama

I love this man. Have a beautiful day.

(from BHB again)
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited May 2006
    "This is not a thing to be tossed aside lightly. Instead, it should be thrown, with great force."

-?

Brilliant :D
  • edited May 2006
    Hi Friends,

Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons,
    It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.

Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
  • edited May 2006
    Hi Friends,

Making one's own mixes of different Teacher's wisdom will accomplish nothing.

from; Going for Refuge by Phra Khantipalo
  • MichelleMichelle Explorer
    edited May 2006
    federica wrote:
    "The Past is OVER. Forgiveness means giving up all hope of a Better past".

I LOVE this!! I think I'm going to tape it to my bathroom mirror , then I know I will see it every morning.

Namaste,
    Michelle
  • edited May 2006
    Hi Friends,

Religion is for people who fear hell, spirituality is for people who've been there.

I don't remember who said this, a little help?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    Oliver Stone.

Read this....It's fascinating......
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    WoW! I had no idea! That is fascinating, Fede. Thanks!
  • edited May 2006
    Thanks Fede.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    "True Words are not always beautiful -
    -And beautiful words are not always Truth."
    edited May 2006
    "A man is not called wise because he talks and talks again; but if he is peaceful, loving and fearless then he is, in truth, called 'Wise'. "

Practice, practice practice......
  • edited May 2006
    Hi Friends,

Do we want what makes us happy, or does it make us happy because we want it?

again I don't remember who said this.......
  • edited May 2006
    " It's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got."
    -Cheryl Crowe
    edited June 2006
    Just had to put this one.... :rockon: :bigclap:

"In my world, nothing ever goes wrong." - Nisargadatta Maharaj

http://www.prahlad.org/gallery/nisargadatta/nisargadatta_quotes.htm
  • edited June 2006
    This one has stuck with me for a number of years.
    There is a wonderful story of a king who had three sons... To the eldest he bequeathed his throne, to the middle son he gave great wealth, the third son...well, what would he give him? He decided to give this youngest son the gift of knowledge so he gathered his wisest men together and asked them to put together a compendium of all the wisdom of the world. They returned a year later with an encyclopedia of one thousand volumes. "Nope, too big, try again." said the king. A year later they returned with a book with one thousand pages. "No. I want you to distill the wisdom down into its essential form." So again the wise men went away for another year and then finally returned with their glorious product.

It was a slip of paper that read "This too, shall pass."
  • edited July 2006
    Hello Friends,

"Rare is birth as a human being.
    Hard is the life of mortals."
    "Do not let slip this opportunity."
    Dhammapada

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
    He who envies others does not obtain peace of mind.
    Buddha
  • edited July 2006
    Help, and do not harm others, be gentle, be kind, be thoughtful, be caring,
    be compassionate, be loving, be fair, be reasonable, be generous to everyone,
    including yourself.
  • edited July 2006
    Learn from all,
    judge no one,
    be kind to all,
    and say thank you.
  • edited July 2006
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
    to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by
    a healthy child, a garden, or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
    This is to have succeeded.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
    edited July 2006
    IntheDee, The greatest compliment I have ever received, and one that brought an unexpected and sudden lump to my throat is when, after a particularly lengthy and satisfying Weekend Feng Shui workshop, a lady who had participated turned in the doorway, and as she was about to leave, said to me....

"Alex, if ever you wonder at any point whether what you are doing is worthwhile, let me tell you that this whole weekend has been amazing. Trust me when I tell you that for me, this weekend - You HAVE made a difference."

Everybody; trying may not be doing, but never ever believe thatyou go through your entire life not making a difference. What you do with an open and loving heart will ALWAYS have an effect.
    Always.
  • edited July 2006
    Fede, What an amazing compliment that woman gave you. That warms my heart!

So many ppl think those kind of things but never say them to the ppl who should or need to hear them.......How cool that she stopped and took the time to tell you something so wonderful. Good for her.

Those are 3 of my favorite quotes.......The last one being my very favorite......

I keep them on my frig. to read everyday to remind me.

Plus I have many young adults in my home all the time and I think they are good things for them to read too........
  • edited July 2006
    The one true to their word and true to oneself is the one admired.
    Folly and fancy are his mark on the world, and yet
    leaves no mark, except on the hearts of those who
    enjoyed the journey with him (or her).
    edited July 2006
    "That the Bird of Suffering (Difficulty, Unsatisfactioryness) flies and circles about your head; this you cannot change.
    But that he settles and builds a nest in your hair, this you can prevent."

I don't remember where exactly I first read this quotation, but I inscribed it on the frontpiece of a book I gave to my elder brother ('The Healing Power of Mind' by Tulku Thondrup) whilst he was negotiating a particularly difficult period of his life....
    Some of us on this board are going through tough times right now, so I thought I'd share.
  • edited July 2006
    federica wrote:
    "That the Bird of Suffering (Difficulty, Unsatisfactioryness) flies and circles about your head; this you cannot change.
    But that he settles and builds a nest in your hair, this you can prevent."

Just as well I'm bald.
    edited July 2006
    ZM.....I think this is what you might call "splitting hairs"....! :p
  • edited July 2006
    Hello Friends,
    From Vegetarian Times magazine,

"To be vegetarian is to disagree... with the course of things today. Starvation, world hunger, cruelty, waste, wars-we must make a statement against these things. Vegetarianism is my statement. And I think it's a strong one."

-Chef/restaurateur Alice Waters
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Something very subtle that suits me now...

"It's like having part of your life amputated and you still have that phantom itch." - Sheryl Crow on breakups
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2006
    That's a good one, Ajani. She knows about breakups, that's for sure. When I went through my last two I was listening to her music and got sucked down into the same depths of dysfunctional attachment and craving that she writes so much about. I was sick with emotional pain and loss. Luckily Buddhism gave me a gentle slap across the face and snapped me out of it.
  • edited August 2006
    Hi Friends,

God said, "See I have given you every plant yielding seed that is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit; you shall have them for food."

Genesis 1.29
    edited August 2006
    God said much, especially the countless words put into his mouth by devoted followers....

Interestingly, with regard to the above quotation, quite by chance this weekend, I found this....

(You may get a little prompt box about having to install a language pack or something, to read this....Just press 'cancel'....I did, and it came up in English.....)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Hey! Thanks for that link, Fede! I really like that book and especially the way it's written. It's so clear and straightforward etc. etc. I really, really like it. In fact, I'm going to convert everything I find useful from it to WordPad documents and then I'm going to save them to my Yahoo! briefcase so I can keep them safe and accessible whether I'm online or off. Thanks!
  • edited August 2006
    Thanks Fede,
    I hope you understand that my last quote was intended as help for vegetarians dealing with people who hold certain views....
    edited August 2006
    Oh yes, SLP,quite so.....This is true....I notice He was less forthcoming with regard to eating animals, possibly because some of them could eat you back..... :)
  • edited November 2006
    Hi Friends,

The essence of Dharma is the practice of Dharma.

His Holiness the Dalai Lama
    edited November 2006
    "If we take just enough leather to cover our feet, it becomes the same thing as covering the whole earth with leather. In the same way, if we tame our mind from within, it becomes the same thing as taming all enemies on the outside."

~ The Very Venerable Mingyur Rinpoche
  • edited November 2006
    One only ages when one's regrets outnumbers one's dreams.
  • edited December 2006
    Hello Friends,

If you want to know your past life, look into your present condition; if you want to know your future life, look at your present actions.

Padmasambhava
  • edited May 2007
    "In this way, mental qualities lead on to mental qualities, mental qualities bring mental qualities to thier consumation, for the sake of going on to the further shore."
  • edited May 2007
    "I have loved justice and hated inequity, therfore I die in exile."

----Pope?????

"Religious certainty is the true blasphemy."

----Michel de Montaigne

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness."

David Thewis in "Kingdom of Heaven"

The latter quote I find particularly inspiring.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited June 2007
    Here's one of my favourites from all time.
    I used it in the Holdup Victim thread and forgot to give the source.

See these flowers, faithful to the earth, and
    to whom we lend fate from the edge of fate -
    but, who knows? If they repent their withering,
    it's up to us to be their only penance.
    All would float. And yet we act like burdens,
    lay down on everything, thrilled with our weight;
    what draining teachers we are for the things,
    who are happy with eternal adolescence.

If one took them into heartfelt sleep and slept
    deeply with things - oh he'd get light as air,
    changed for a changed day, from the common depth.

Or perhaps he'd stay. And they would bloom and praise
    him, the convert, who looks like one of theirs,
    all silent sisters in the meadow breeze.

— translated by H. Landman

Siehe die Blumen, diese dem Irdischen treuen,
    denen wir Schicksal vom Rande des Schicksals leihn, -
    aber wer weiss es! Wenn sie ihr Welken bereuen,
    ist es an uns, ihre Reue zu sein.
    Alles will schweben. Da gehn wir umher wie Beschwerer,
    legen auf alles uns selbst, vom Gewichte entzückt;
    o was sind wir den Dingen für zehrende Lehrer,
    weil ihnen ewige Kindheit glückt.

Nähme sie einer ins innige Schlafen und schliefe
    tief mit den Dingen -: o wie käme er leicht,
    anders zum anderen Tag, aus der gemeinsamen Tiefe.

Oder er bliebe vielleicht; und sie blühten und priesen
    ihn, den Bekehrten, der nun den Ihrigen gleicht,
    allen den stillen Geschwistern im Winde der Wiesen.

—Sonnets To Orpheus II, 14
    edited June 2007
    "I have loved justice and hated inequity, therfore I die in exile."

----Pope?????

.............Gregory VII

(It's inIquity....) ;)
  • edited February 2008
    I see everyone has interesting quotes on their signatures, and we all seem to like using quotes in posts.....how about a thread dedicated to our favorite quotes? apologies if there is one of these somewhere else....I hate being the new guy and not knowing where everything is.....

Ill start off here.

Although gold dust is precious, when it gets in your eyes, it obstructs your vision.
    —Hsi-Tang

A flower falls, even though we love it; and a weed grows, even though we do not love it.
    —Dogen
This discussion has been closed.