Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Favourite Quotations

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    "Even if all living beings become my enemy, may I cherish them more than my life." Guru Puja
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    I was visiting another forum (Hey, this one was a bit quiet....!) and there's so much bitching and bickering there, I could feel myself getting irritated, then I spotted this as someone's signature..... They obviously got it from somewhere, so I thought I'd post it here, because it's sweet..... ;)

"The half moon shows a face of plaintive sweetness
    Ready and poised to wax or wane,
    A fire of pale desire in incompleteness,
    Tending to pleasure or to pain.....
    Lo! While we gaze, she rolleth on in sweetness -
    To perfect loss or perfect gain."
    edited November 2005
    federica wrote:
    I was visiting another forum (Hey, this one was a bit quiet....!) and there's so much bitching and bickering there, I could feel myself getting irritated, then I spotted this as someone's signature..... They obviously got it from somewhere, so I thought I'd post it here, because it's sweet..... ;)

"The half moon shows a face of plaintive sweetness
    Ready and poised to wax or wane,
    A fire of pale desire in incompleteness,
    Tending to pleasure or to pain.....
    Lo! While we gaze, she rolleth on in sweetness -
    To perfect loss or perfect gain."

Christina Rossetti
  • edited November 2005
    Best quote I heard...How about, "stop that or you'll go blind"!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    ..... a walking, talking WHAT??!!??
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2005
    "Life has no meaning in itself, but only in the meaning we give it. Like the clay in the artists hands, we may convert it into a divine form or merely into a vessel of temporary utility."

- Lama Govinda
  • edited December 2005
    The quote that first made me see buddhism as being a vehicle for not only spiritual liberation but also as psycological medcine was a very simple one.

"There is no way to happiness.....................happiness is the way."
    edited December 2005
    Hello 'Looks Just Like The Sun' and welcome! Thanks for posting your favourite quotation...
    Don't be surprised if your handle gets shortened because we're a familiar bunch round here, and take to folks quite quickly.... one of the family, you might say!

Nice to meet you! :)
  • edited December 2005
    The quote that first made me see buddhism as being a vehicle for not only spiritual liberation but also as psycological medcine was a very simple one.

"There is no way to happiness.....................happiness is the way."

Hello, Looks!

I am Adiana and I want to say hello and welcome.

Adiana:wavey: :D
  • edited December 2005
    "Each of you is perfect the way you are . . . and you can use a little improvement."

- Shunryu Suzuki Roshi
  • edited December 2005
    On the fourth day of a sesshin at the San Francisco Zen Center when the participants were having these usual problems, Shunryu Suzuki Roshi came into the zendo and said, "The problems you are now experiencing will continue for the rest of your life."
  • edited December 2005
    A native American grandfather was talking to his grandson about how he felt. He said 'I feel as if I have two wolves fighting in my heart. One wolf is the vengeful, angry, violent one. The other wolf is the loving, compassionate one.' The grandson asked him, 'Which wolf will win the fight in your heart?' The grandfather answered: 'The one I feed.'
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited December 2005
    "I disapprove of what you say but I shall fight to my death your right to say it" - Something like that that once was said by I think Voltaire or somebody :)
    edited December 2005
    'I disagree with what you say but will defend to the death your right to say it'
    - is the quotation you're looking for, ajani-mgo...And you're right, it was Voltaire. :)
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Thanks, federica!
  • edited December 2005
    hanks for the welcome everyone and federica, that is one classy avatar. I'm new to the forum but not exactly new to buddhism, just finally taking the time to look at it a little more seriously
    edited December 2005
    She IS classy, isn't she? Do you know, she said,

"I never thought I'd land in pictures with a face like mine."

Which brings to mind -
    "The 'man' who does not think much of himself is greater than he believes himself to be."
    edited December 2005
    "Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm; as you get older, remember you have another hand: The first is to help yourself, the second is to help others."
    Audrey Hepburn

Which I completely agree with.

"My look is attainable. Women can look like Audrey Hepburn by flipping out their hair, buying the large sunglasses, and the little sleeveless dresses. "
    Audrey Hepburn

Which I am less inclined to agree with.... she don't know me very well....!! :lol:
    edited December 2005
    Alas, Fede., Voltaire himself never wrote those words. They are a summary of his attitude to the burning of Helvetius's De l'esprit. It is a useful statement but made, in a 1907 book, by S. G. Tallentyre.

Votaire didn't think much of Helvtius and his comment about the burning is reported to have been "What a fuss about an omelette!"

(Source: Oxford Dictionary of Quotations)
    edited December 2005
    Well if he didn't write them, he shoulda done! Thanks Simon, ruin my day and ajani's why doncha....??!!?? :crazy: :D

Like the ol' lady said - "I can't die today dearie, i'm still learning too much...!"
  • edited December 2005
    My dearest father always says

"Mind over matter, if you don't mind, it don't matter"
    edited December 2005
    "Truth often resembles itself"

SimonthePilgrim,
    From another thread. :)
    edited January 2006
    edited January 2006
    "Let Brotherly Love continue.
    Be ye not afraid to show a kindness to strangers
    For thereby have some
    Entertained Angels unawares."

Hebrews 13: 1 - 2
    edited January 2006
    Focus,
    not on the rudenesses of others,
    not on what they've done
    or left undone,
    but on what you
    have & haven't done
    yourself.

-Dhammapada, 4, translation by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

(Contributed by Hunt4Life.)
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited January 2006
    KBuck wrote:
    Ever since I first read the first three Dune books by Frank Herbert, I've been facinated by the quotes at the beginning of each chapter. Only after I became a buddhist and re-read them did I realize their origins. The two that serve as my signature are among my favorites.
    His Signature is really cool:
    Truth suffers from too much analysis.
    --Ancient Fremen Saying
    The Fremen were supreme in that quality the ancients called "spannungsbogen"--which is the self-imposed delay between desire for a thing and the act of reaching out to grasp that thing.
    --from "The Wisdom of Muad'Dib"

I've noticed NirvanaNoob hasn't yet contributed to this Thread, so I'm plagiarizing his current signature, in case he changes it and I won't be able to find the first sentence again:
    You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person will not be found: You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection. -Buddha
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

"The most important thing in life is to keep the channels of communication open. We cannot afford to close the doors on anyone permanently." --S. Sarvagatananda

gee whiz
    edited January 2006
    "There is no path that leads one to Peace, save their own will"
    Osca Voegel, on E-Sangha
  • edited January 2006
    Hello all,
    These from the "songs of Kabir",

I. 58. Bag na jag re na jâ

Do not go to the garden of flowers!
    O Friend! Go not there;
    In your body is the garden of flowers.
    Take your seat on the thousand petals of the lotus, and there gaze on the Infinite Beauty.

I. 63. Avadhû, mâyâ tajî na jây

TELL me, Brother, how can I renounce Maya?
    When I gave up the tying of ribbons, still I tied my garment about me:
    When I gave up tying my garment, still I covered my body in its folds.
    So, when I give up passion, I see that anger remains;
    And when I renounce anger, greed is with me still;
    And when greed is vanquished, pride and vainglory remain;
    When the mind is detached and casts Maya away, still it clings to the letter.
    Kabîr says, "Listen to me, dear Sadhu! The true path is rarely found."

Enjoy!!! Namaste.
    edited January 2006
    “ Days are two: one for you, one against you. When it is for you, do not be arrogant, when it is against you, be patient. “ Arab Proverb
  • edited January 2006
    To study the Way is to study the self,
    To study the self is to forget the self,
    To forget the self is to be enlightened by all things,
    To be enlightened by all things is to let drop one's own body and mind,
    And those of others.
    No trace of Enlightenment remains,
    And this traceless Enlightenment continues throughout eternity.

- Ehei Dogen Zenji
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Why are you unhappy?
    Because 99.9% of everything you think,
    And everything you do,
    Is for your self,
    And there isn't one.

Wei Wu Wei
  • edited January 2006
    :lol:
  • edited January 2006
    Brian wrote:
    Welcome to the site, Satori :)

Thanks, Brian! :wavey:
  • edited January 2006
    "Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." ~ John Wooden

"Embrace adversity with all you have, because it's the best teacher in life!" ~ Selma Hayek

"Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves like locked rooms and like books that are written in a very foreign tongue. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will find them gradually, without noticing it, and live along some distant day into the answer." ~ Rainer Maria Rilke

"Never apologize for showing feeling. When you do so, you apologize for the truth." ~ Benjamin Disraeli

"Give thanks for sorrow that teaches you pity; for pain that teaches you courage -- and give exceeding thanks for the mystery which remains a mystery still -- the veil that hides you from the infinite, which makes it possible for you to believe in what you cannot see." ~
    Robert Nathan

"Trust yourself. Create the kind of self that you will be happy to live with all your life. Make the most of yourself by fanning the tiny, inner sparks of possibility into flames of achievement." ~ Foster C. McClellan

"Accept everything about yourself -- I mean everything. You are you and that is the beginning and the end -- no apologies, no regrets." ~ Clark Moustakas

"Overcoming yourself is better than overcoming a million enemies in battle." ~ Buddha

"Hold on to your power: don't let others squash it. Hold on to your courage: don't let others preach it out of you. Hold on to your independence: don't let others scare it out of you. Author your life without guilt or shame: do not live to please others. Refuse to surrender except to your truest self and your wisest voice." ~ Patricia Lynn Reilly

:) :type:
    edited January 2006
    Yoooohoooo! Satori!! Hya!!! Over here!!! :wavey: post-771-1122354390.gif
    edited January 2006
    "With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."
    Steven Weinberg
  • edited January 2006
    federica wrote:
    Yoooohoooo! Satori!! Hya!!! Over here!!! :wavey: post-771-1122354390.gif

Hi Federica!!! It's good to see you again!! :wavey: This place has really grown and looks like a lot of fun. :cheer:
  • edited January 2006
    HOLY DOUBLE POST BATMAN!

my contribution is in my sig.

I'm just starting to read that, I think I'm on the second chapter.
    edited January 2006
    Hi Satori.

:)

Jason
    edited January 2006
    "Words are not policemen on the prowl. We are not subject to their independent authority. They take their meaning from the intention of the person speaking." - Chandrakirti
  • edited January 2006
    Elohim wrote:
    Hi Satori.

:)

Jason

Hi Jason! :wavey:
  • edited January 2006
    "The thought manifests as the word;
    The word manifests as the deed;
    The deed evelops into habit;
    And the habit hardens into character;
    So watch the thought and its ways with care,
    And let it spring form love
    Born out of concern for all beings...

As the shadow follows the body,
    as we think, so we become."

-from the Dhammapada
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    I love that one, Sharpiegirl.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    "To believe and to understand are not diverse things, but the same things in different periods of growth."

Samuel Taylor Coleridge
  • edited January 2006
    Ive only got one, having trained originally in drama

THIS IS NOT A DRESS REHEARSAL

says it all for me.
  • edited January 2006
    Thirty spokes on a cartwheel

"Go towards the hub that is the centre
    -but look, there is nothing at the centre and that is precisely why it works!

If you could mold a cup you have to make it hollow:
    it is the emptiness within that makes it useful.

In a house or room it is the empty spaces
    -the doors, the window- that make it useable.

They all use what they aremade of
    to do what they do,
    but without their nothingness they would be nothing."

Tao, Chapter 11
  • edited January 2006
    How wonderful!
    How wondeful!
    All things are
    perfect
    exactly as they are!

-the Buddha
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    "How wonderful!
    How wondeful!
    All things are
    perfect
    exactly as they are!"

-the Buddha

The Buddha said that? How on earth did I miss that one? That's my new favourite. Thanks Sharpiegirl!
  • edited January 2006
    Well it was in the book I'm reading by Lama Surya Das and he gave credit to Buddha...I liked it too!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    I'm going to use it like a mantra. It's so comforting. Thanks again, Sharpiegirl.
This discussion has been closed.