Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Lhasa Riots

ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
edited May 2008 in Buddhism Today
Hmm - I haven't heard from here about this - nothing new really, just Tibetans and their usual protest against the Chinese occupation of their homeland.

Whereas an earlier march from India by Tibet activists back home was halted by Indian troops, today I hear from the news that a riot has broken out in Lhasa, with 10 Tibetans dead. Anyway, the first thing I heard about this recent spate of incidents was that it was (as usual) in protest of Chinese occupation back home, in the context of the world's decision to allow Beijing to host the upcoming Olympics. Days ago, before any news of the initial unease, China had released a statement condemming any such actions by anyone already - it seems to me that the Chinese intelligence community should have had some inkling that this kind of thing was going to happen soon, and that statement was more of a pre-emptive gesture.

Anyway, what really amused me was this picture where the news showed the Tibetan monk throwing a stone into this shop - and that led me wondering, OK this is interesting. Whereas the Burmese protests had mostly been non-violent, this Tibetan riot was well, chaotic - and when I saw the monk chuck the stone in, I immediately thought that it was unskilful.

I have always believed that strikes should be made legal in liberal-democratic countries, but rioting was silly - it destroyed the work of oneself (or even others), creating direct wastage and destroying resources in the process, from peaceful disobedience to war.

The Dalai Lama has been accused by China for being the mastermind behind this latest incident. Personally, I don't think I like monks who throw stones. :) (or at least, in this context)

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2008
    There are rumours that not all people throwing stones were really Tibetan Monks.... or even Tibetan at all, for that matter..... :hrm: :downhand:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2008
    The Tibetan government-in-exile is saying at least 30 people were killed. Hopefully all countries will now have the common decency to boycott the Olympics.

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2008
    Everyone has decency and common sense. Unfortunately, Governments have a love of money.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2008
    Quite so. However, I think it would be good if people wrote to their national Olympic committees and urged them to boycott.

I'd just like to add that this isn't just a local thing in Tibet. The Dharma is under attack around the world. Remember Burma? There have also been attacks here in the West - criminals who infiltrated Buddhist groups in an attempt to destroy them and steal from them, groups who have perverted the Dharma and taught false doctrines (New Kadampas anyone?). These are the dark times prophesied by both Lord Buddha and Guru Padmasambhava when the Dharma will be under attack by the forces of darkness. So it is imperative for all of us to beef up our practice and remember that the Dharma is the force of good and light in this world, that it is indestructible.

Palzang
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited March 2008
    It's freaky - they (the protestors) are whacking tourists and any random individual they can get their hands on.

Now, Fede, that is news! :) I'd think it to be a lousy reflection of HHDL's so-many years of teaching about non-violent resistance if indeed, the Tibetans were to behave in such a manner! Indeed, I was much-shocked when today's news narrated that people were being randomly whacked up on the streets, including tourists. Now - conspiracy theories, anyone?

Sadly, I don't think Singapore will be game to boycott the Olympics (not that we are some regular medal-magnet anyway! Trivia: Our last and ONLY Olympic medal was in 1960 (a Silver) for weightlifting), our Youth Olympics to be held in 2010 seems to be fairly reliant (or happy, rather) to work with China now to discuss some methods of organisation. Personally, I do support my local Youth Olympics bid now that it's officially won by us.

Even as the Chinese news agency are saying that the riots are under control, it is clear from international news feeds that it is simply spiraling into more disaster.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2008
    From the comfort of our unoccupied countries, we can deplore what is going on, be it in Tibet, Iraq or Afghanistan, all under foreign occupation. We feel the impotence that we bought with our surrender to over-powerful executives and nationalist imperialism.

Our governments are unable to criticise believably, nor can we upbraid the PRC for it 'human rights violations' when we are complicit in violations ourselves.

Ajani: when it is Buddhist monks who protest, the media get all excited and express outrage. When it is Palestinians, Iraqis, etc., we condemn them. Because they are not wearing robes?

There is an interesting passage in the Christian gospels where Jesus' disciples try to stop Judaean children from getting close to him. These were the children of the "intifada" against the Roman occupation: stone-throwers, urchins, the ancestors of the ones we see on the TV today. No wonder the disciples wanted themn kept away. Jesus' comment was "This is what the Kingdom consists of - children like these". No wonder the incident has been cleaned up and presented as if the children had just come from a hot bath and a good meal!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2008
    I've been reading everything I can find on these latest protests and the reaction of the Chinese government and I'm finding it very difficult to get a clear picture of what is actually happening. It seems to me that the news stories I've been reading either don't have much real information or they're sensationalizing the situation. I have no idea what source to trust in all this and it's very frustrating. I wish I could get some real answers but everyone's got an angle, even more so than usual, and my head's spinning. Ugh!!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2008
    I wouldn't pay much attention to any of the news reports. They're simply passing along Chinese propaganda. The situation is much worse than they're letting on, and they're literally flooding the country with their storm troopers and tanks. It's Tienamen all over again.

A little poem from our friend Trungpa Rinpoche:

THE DIGNITY OF THE TIBETAN PEOPLE

The sword of hatred is ornamented with the handle of invasion,
    A red star has imprisoned the sun and moon,
    The high snow-peaked mountains are cloaked in the darkness of a poisonous wind;
    The peaceful valleys have been shattered by the sound of artillery.
    But the dignity of the Tibetan people competes with the glory of the sky.

Palzang
    edited March 2008
    November 1956. I am 13, my brother is 12. We are sitting round our old radio set with our parents, listening to the dying cries for help from Hungary. My mother is crying. My father is white with fury and we are bewildered: nobody is doing anything. My parents talk of the Czechs.

March 2008. I am 64, my son is 17. We gather round the computer and the television. We know it is happening again. And still nobody knows what to do. Once again the bully is winning and autonomy is crushed.

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2008
    But there is something we can do. An Olympic boycott would seriously damage China's international standing and pride. It is something that would really hurt them badly. We can all contact our national Olympic committees and urge them to boycott. We can also contact Olympic sponsors (like McDonald's and Coke) and urge them to drop out of the Olympics. I think you're going to see a tremendous upswell of outrage around the world at this latest obscenity on the part of the Chinese government.

Palzang
    edited March 2008
    I've bashed off an e-mail to both McDonalds UK and USA and have sent similar to Coca cola....
    I'm doing what I can.

EDIT NOTE:
    Just done the Olympics committee too...
    Strong letters.....:werr:
    edited March 2008
    I do start to suspect the media of my nation - after all, it is known that in my country, the media is for nation-building first, accountability and truth second.

I wouldn't yet say that they are distorting the truth now, but I think they are omitting some stuff here that leads me to think that the Tibetans are in some kind of random frenzy because of an old issue.

I saw in the broadsheets today that in Japan, they are starting an torch relay like the official Olympic's, only that this relay is for the 'alternative Olympics' to be held in Dharamsala somewhere in May - heh, how cute.

For Burma now, at least we have some promise of a Constitution, though it's still way too early to determine if the Saffron Revolution has done its job properly. The issue of Tibet now is being turned into a political issue for the Taiwanese elections - I do think that these two nations (mind you, I said 'nations') do share some kind of common vein - perhaps the new Taiwanese President would be able to talk some sense into their Chinese counterpart (if it's even likely) - presidential candidate Ma is speaking of a common market with China now, a concept much turned into a joke and abused politically by his rival Hsieh. Ma is speaking of defending Taiwan's political interests before they talk on the economic table. Yet one wonders, will China really care?

I guess the athletes could feign a 'diplomatic illness' when they reach China though, they could always blame the pollution!
    edited March 2008
    Okay, my TV news has just reported that the Lhasa riots are declared finito, while some Chinese spokesman is saying that the PLA never participated in the entire riot and that the Tibetans are wrecking Buddhism.

Yeah right, this sounds so dead hackneyed.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2008
    I think any news that reports the slaying of citizens as "justified" or hint that it's even acceptable - is news no longer worth listening to.

-bf
    edited March 2008
    buddhafoot wrote: »
    I think any news that reports the slaying of citizens as "justified" or hint that it's even acceptable - is news no longer worth listening to.

-bf

BF, dear innocent friend,

Can you name me a single news medium, other than marginal ones like Peace News, which has not justified or even celebrated the slaughter of civilians? All the Western press rejoiced at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, many 'justify' Afghani and Iraqi civilian deaths as "collateral damage" leading to an assumed end.
    edited March 2008
    Ah, yes Simon, but they're different.... they're the 'Enemy'.... they're not like us at all... They're the wicked oppressors of freeom and democracy, and the enemies of a Liberal society....

Even the little old lady cycling innocently to go and do some shopping, or those little children on their way to school...or the young man, digging over a small piece of earth, to grow his own vegetables.... demonic, wicked evil people....
    There's your justiifcation.....

Obvious, isn't it?
    edited March 2008
    Of course you're right, Fede., I had forgotten that every German is a Nazi, every Japanese is a torturer, every 'European' is a Jesuit, every Dane is a Viking... e tutti quanti.

During my stay in 'Little Tibet', I met Tibetan opponents to HHDL's policy of 'autonomy within the hegemony'. Some were followers of Gandhi's ideas and knew that non-violent protest would, inevitably, lead to bloodshed and many deaths. Others maintained that the Tibetan people had to remember that they had a long and warrior culture. One man, a beautiful elderly refugee who had walked from Tibet with HHDL, was very angry with him: he saw the glorification of an individual, even as wonderful as Tenzin Gyatso, had made Tibetans 'quaint' (his word), like those people who dress up and refight Civil War battles, curiosities but not real. He said that Tibet was not thangkas and gompas, not even tulkus, it is a group of disparate regions which has an historical coherence as a nation, inhabited by real people who eat, sleep, give birth to children, need ordinary, peaceful daily lives. And, he added, stroking his magnificent moustaches and looking very sad, no 'great nation' has ever truly supported the aspirations of their own national minorities, "Why should we expect to be any different?" he asked.

I ask myself this question: "If I were an ordinary Tibetan, living in Lhasa, with a wife and children; if I had a small business which has recovered somewhat from the invasion; if my life was just bearable, particularly as I practise my faith - in secret, sure, but it keeps us balanced... if I managed to feed. clothe and educate my children so loong as I keep my head down (just like my friends in Normandy from '40 to '45), would I demonstrate? Or would I worry (vide my friends in Normandy) that the demos or sabotage or attacks on Han Chinese would only make things worse? And what would my faith in the words of the Buddha tell me to do? Why are there no simple answers?"
    edited March 2008
    Taiwanese Presidential Candidate Ma is now officially the only one in the world who has declared that he will pull out of the Beijing Olympics if the Lhasa situation isn't solved properly (although well, he isn't exactly really the President yet... And it's Taiwan...)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2008
    BF, dear innocent friend,

Can you name me a single news medium, other than marginal ones like Peace News, which has not justified or even celebrated the slaughter of civilians? All the Western press rejoiced at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, many 'justify' Afghani and Iraqi civilian deaths as "collateral damage" leading to an assumed end.

My point exactly, my friend.

-bf
    edited March 2008
    I received this message from McDonalds... which to my mind is as neat and obvious a way of sidestepping the issue, and bowing down to the great God "Yankidohlla" as one could ever imagine....
    Hello Alexandra:

Thank you for taking the time to contact McDonald's regarding the 2008 Summer Olympic Games in Beijing. As an Olympic sponsor, we support the IOC's position that the most impactful platform for discussion and resolution of this complex international issue be at the United Nations and government level.

McDonald's has been a proud sponsor of the Olympic Movement for more than 30 years because we believe in and share the Olympic ideals of teamwork, excellence and being the best. Our focus has been and will continue to be on supporting the spirit of the Games, and celebrating excellence and achievement among people the world over.

Again, thank you for contacting McDonald's.

Jennifer
    McDonald's Customer Response Center

If you wish to contact McDonald's Customer Response Center again, please visit our website at www.mcdonalds.com.

Below, to give the issue some cohesion, is the letter I sent to them....
    I sincerely hope in light of recent events in Tibet, that your company will seriously consider withdrawing sponsorship of the Bejing 2008 Olympics.
    I would think that your company would consider it commercial suicide to pin your colours to a mast bloodied with the souls of countless thousands of innocent people. Is the Chinese Government the type of organisation you really want to do business with?

Are you lovin it?

If Steven Spielberg can do it, Im sure you can.
    I hope you will take this protest into consideration.
    if something isn't done, I for one won't be buying many hamburgers from you...

Sincerely,
    A. Parker

...Mind you, at least I actually received a reply - !!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2008
    Well, if we can get past Simon's sanctimonious posturing for a moment and get back to the brutality in Tibet, there is now solid evidence (including pictures and eye-witness reports) that Chinese police and soliders are murding monks and nuns and even beating school children (school children!) before hauling them off to jail. Is that enough to convince anyone to do something other than just talk about this?

Palzang
    edited March 2008
    The ideals of sport are at question here - heh, I think I can remember some documentary that once said that a particular soccer World Cup was particularly worth watching that year because it was just after the skirmishes off the Falklands and the finals held between England and Argentina!

Whatever happened to the 'Olympic ideals' of pure sport? While MacDonalds might be leaning towards the thinking that the Olympics should remain an object of sport and not be converted into a platform for politics, I think the ideals of sport should be extensible beyond just itself. When has all the spirit of the Olympics been applied for Tibet? Whatever happened to the peace that the Olympics was supposed to bring the world?

Maybe the whole world should embarrass China the host by winning all the medals and leaving none for the former, or at least we hope.

Anyway, for the Taiwan thing, it sucks now - their sports executive body has criticized Ma's promise to boycott the Olympics. In fact, it seems to really have turned into another election issue now. With one side pro-boycott, the other side takes up the anti-boycott view right away to oppose and there we have it - inefficiency and sophistry. Darn, why can't they just agree?

I have just received this petition from Avaaz.org.
    Dear friends,

After decades of repression under Chinese rule, the Tibetan people's frustrations have burst onto the streets in protests and riots. With the spotlight of the upcoming Olympic Games now on China, Tibetans are crying out to the world for change.

After decades of repression under Chinese rule, the Tibetan people's frustrations have burst onto the streets in protests and riots. With the spotlight of the upcoming Olympic Games now on China, Tibetans are crying out to the world for change.

The Chinese government has said that the protesters who have not yet surrendered "will be punished". Its leaders are right now considering a crucial choice between escalating brutality or dialogue that could determine the future of Tibet, and China.

We can affect this historic choice--China does care about its international reputation. China's President Hu Jintao needs to hear that the 'Made in China' brand and the upcoming Olympics in Beijing can succeed only if he makes the right choice. But it will take an avalanche of global people power to get his attention--and we need it in the next 48 hours.

The Tibetan Nobel peace prize winner and spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama has called for restraint and dialogue: he needs the world's people to support him. Click below now to sign the petition--and tell absolutely everyone you can right away--our goal is 1 million voices united for Tibet:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/tibet_end_the_violence/6.php

China's economy is totally dependent on "Made in China" exports that we all buy, and the government is keen to make the Olympics in Beijing this summer a celebration of a new China, respected as a leading world power. China is also a very diverse country with a brutal past and has reason to be concerned about its stability -- some of Tibet's rioters killed innocent people. But President Hu must recognize that the greatest danger to Chinese stability and development comes from hardliners who advocate escalating repression, not from Tibetans who seek dialogue and reform.

We will deliver our petition directly to Chinese officials in London, New York, and Beijing, but it must be a massive number before we deliver the petition. Please forward this email to your address book with a note explaining to your friends why this is important, or use our tell-a-friend tool to email your address book--it will come up after you sign the petition.

The Tibetan people have suffered quietly for decades. It is finally their moment to speak--we must help them be heard.

With hope and respect,

Ricken, Iain, Graziela, Paul, Galit, Pascal, Milena, Ben and the whole Avaaz team

PS - It has been suggested that the Chinese government may block the Avaaz website as a result of this email, and thousands of Avaaz members in China will no longer be able to participate in our community. A poll of Avaaz members over the weekend showed that over 80% of us believed it was still important to act on Tibet despite this terrible potential loss to our community, if we thought we could make a difference. If we are blocked, Avaaz will help maintain the campaign for internet freedom for all Chinese people, so that our members in China can one day rejoin our community.

Sadly, even as I loathe my perceived inferiority of Chinese products, it's really sad that I cannot escape from it. Every time I turn over a product, 'Made in China' stares me in the face! Some of my favourite food, though, are 'Made in China' brands (though they now have been banned by Singapore for failing to meet up to health standards), heh.
    edited March 2008
    Palzang-la,

It was never my intention to be "sanctimonious" but to suggest that we need a far more nuanced approach. His Holiness has been extremely careful, over the past 50 years, understanding that dialogue with the government of China requires great delicacy. It is also true that the western media have tended to suggest that the only solution to the oppression and genocidal activity by the PLA is that coming out of Dharamsala. There is little doubt that the personal animosity that the ruling clique maintains against the person of the Dalai Lama continues to be a real stumbling-block in this dialogue.

It is now clear, from HHDL's statements yesterday, that he is prepared to do anything, including withdrawing from any active role in the government-in-exile, to put an end to the violence. In many ways he is the true heir to Gandhiji who was prepared to die of self-starvation to end the inter-religious violence in India.

Is it "sanctimonious" to recognise that China believes (rightly or wrongly is irrelevant) that Tibet is historically part of China? Dialogue is impossible if we simply strike attitudes.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2008
    Simon,

This is not about whether or not China thinks they have a legitimate claim to Tibet or "evenhandedness". This is about the murder and torture of helpless Buddhist monks and nuns. This is a Buddhist bulletin board, and this is a Buddhist issue. Killing monks and nuns is horrendous karma, both for the police and soldiers who actually do it and for the Chinese people as a whole. The reason to put a stop this behavior is not to punish the Chinese (their karma will take care of that), but to prevent them from accruing more bad karma. The best way to do this is to have a boycott of the Olympics by as many countries as possible. This will ruin China's great hopes of finally reaching par with other countries like the US and Russia (and yes, even the UK) and may - may - just convince them to change their behavior.

I agree with HH the Dalai Lama's stand, but that doesn't make it OK for the Chinese to murder protesters who are, after all, just trying to get basic human rights. To bring up Nagasaki and your other examples was not only inappropriate but, to me, offensive. For one thing, we didn't start the war with Japan (though we did finish it), and the alternative to dropping the bomb was a massive invasion that would have cost many, many more lives, both American and Japanese. So where's the comparison? These are helpless monks and nuns whose only weapons are stones and firecrackers - against assault rifles and tanks!

Here is what the Chinese thug who was recently installed as Communist Party secretary for the Tibetan "Autonomous" Region recently said:

The Communist Party is like the parent to the Tibetan people, and it is always considerate about what the children need,’ Mr. Zhang said last year. He later added: ‘The Central Party Committee is the real Buddha for Tibetans.

Can you imagine the chutzpah it takes to say that "the Central Party Committee is the real Buddha for Tibetans?"

I think most Western Buddhists just don't get what is going on in the world. Not only is China repressing Buddhists in Tibet, but India and Nepal are repressing Tibetans in their countries who are protesting what is going on in Tibet. And then there's Burma, which continues its own murderous repression under the guise of "liberalization"! If what they're doing is liberalization, I'll have none, thanks... The countries where Buddhism currently exist are mostly unstable and unsafe. Buddhism could disappear in many of these countries in a heartbeat. Does that concern you at all?

Palzang
    edited March 2008
    Palzang-la,

I am sorry if I have upset you. My reference to the only use in conflict of nuclear weapons was an attempt to highlight the way in which we tend to demonise our opponents.

I can also understand - and share - your anger and distress at what is happening in Tibet. I have lost count of the number of letters, emails and other (ineffectual) protests I have sent on the topic to all and sundry, including our last two Prime Ministers.

What I am trying - badly, as so often - to share is the confusion that arises when the peaceful protesters turn to violence themselves. It does not help that I can quite understand how anger and mob mentality can lead to attacks on the Han population - but understanding does not mean that I agree with it.

This is how I understand HHDL's statement yesterday, recalling as it does similar statements by Gandhiji: the actions of the PLA and the government have been genocidal and I am ashamed of the lack-lustre response of all the great powers.

In the interests of balance, I wanted also to make it clear that HHDL's move towards a democratic system, there are voices raised from within the Tibetan community in opposition - which is just as it should be, even though some of those voices call for violence.

It breaks my heart, too, that the government of India and the state of Himachal Pradesh have failed to show the same courage as the Pandit Nehru when he welcomed the refugees 49 years ago, giving them shelter, jobs and helping build the schools.

I apologise if I have inadvertently minimised the grotesque and horrifying behaviour of the occupying Chinese.
  • edited March 2008
    Palzang wrote: »
    Simon,

This is about the murder and torture of helpless Buddhist monks and nuns. This is a Buddhist bulletin board, and this is a Buddhist issue.

Palzang

I would like to very humbly and very respectfully disagree with you Pazang. I know that you are very angry, but what is happening in Tibet is an international humanitarian issue. I am NOT Buddhist but this does not stop me feeling enraged, bewildered and sickened.

Neither am I Muslim, but it doesn't stop me breaking my heart over the situation in Darfur.

Or are you saying that only people on this board who are Buddhists are allowed to have an opinion, that there is a Party Line to follow and anyone who doesn't shouldn't be here? Which side does that sound like, dear friend?

I come here, not from religious conviction or philosophical conviction, but to visit my Buddhist friends. As a guest I try to be respectful and to learn the acceptable way of behaving in your company.

It would be a shame if visitors like me were no longer welcome here.

In love and in search of harmony - Elise
    edited March 2008
    I agree, Knitwitch. Indeed, I would say that this is no more - nor less - of a "Buddhist" issue than any other instance of abuse by one sentient being of another.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2008
    You misunderstand what I was saying, knitwitch. I also am horrifed by such things as Darfur, but when you start murdering monks and nuns, that brings an added dimension to it. The point is the Chinese are creating horrendous karma for themselves - for all the Chinese people, not just the government. When something like Darfur happens, sure, the perpetrators are also creating horrendous karma, but to do it to someone wearing the robes of the Buddha is even worse because what you are doing then is murdering your own enlightenment, so to speak. Do you see the difference? The Buddha taught the way out of suffering, so to in effect murder the Buddha is to create suffering beyond imagination. That's my point.

Palzang
    edited March 2008
    Well, it is very difficult to believe any of the footage coming out of Tibet at the moment. it goes without saying that any attempt to report anything without incurring punitative censorship is a monumental task. I certanly believe not a single syllable of any words or reporting from China, it goes without saying.

Seeing, on news footage, the rioting crowds in Lhasa is so distressing for me, I find it difficult to watch.
    But the Dalai Lama too, has been horrified by seeing his own monks resorting to violent and retaliatory measures.
    I will not utter a word of judgement against them, because I think their patience for nearly 50 years has worn so thin, it is scarcely surprising they would finally see fit to take some kind of action. ....
    And whilst I understand your comment, Simon, with regard to just keeping their heads down and getting on with life, because a poor oppressive life is better than the alternative, I think it is high time something like this happened to shake the world out of its complacent torpor.
    Did the Chinese really ever truly imagine these events would pass without comment?
    Did they really truly believe they could contain and control such opposition without raising so much as an eyebrow?
    Did they really think that hosting the Olympic Games would not force any issue out into the open?

I fully understand the Dalai Lama's 'threat', that he would stand down as Political Leader, if the violence did not stop. (A spokesman for HH the DL apparently clarified the statement by adding that he would remain as Religious leader....)
    It's all kamma. It all serves a purpose.
    But when an irresistible force meets an unmoveable object, something, finally, at long last, surely has to give....?
  • edited March 2008
    I do understand the point you are making Palzang but with the greatest respect we are going to have to agree to disagree on this point. For me, no human life is more sacred than another and the taking of ANY human life is a sacriledge. But you are Buddhist and these are your beliefs and so I respect them.

Let's join together in prayer for all the people there and not concentrate on our differences of opinion. In great love - E
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2008
    You're quite right, Fede. After 50 years, it's hard not to become violent. People here in the West have no comprehension of what is going on over there, and has been going on for well over 50 years. And it is putting it in the public eye. Over a quarter million people signed the petition put up by Avaaz in support of the Dalai Lama's call for dialogue and human rights in Tibet - in only 36 hours! I would urge everyone to join this massive appeal at this site:
    http://www.avaaz.org/en/tibet_end_the_violence/21.php

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2008
    Here's another link to urge the IOC to not route the Olympic torch through Tibet: http://actionnetwork.org/campaign/notorch

In the news today there are reports the Chinese continue to pour troops into Tibet. What we have is genocide in the making.

Palzang
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited March 2008
    This is turning into everything I stand against. I have long distrusted China because they have a totalitarian government dominated by the Communist Party, and these are the reasons why. I can't sign the petition at this time, as I work for the US government and such an act could be interpreted as a possible official stance, but know that the idea has my full personal support.
  • edited March 2008
    Well I can and have signed them.

And I am completely disgusted with the way my adopted country has been toadying up to China in the lats two years - it will all come back and bite them in the years to come.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2008
    Knitwitch wrote: »
    I do understand the point you are making Palzang but with the greatest respect we are going to have to agree to disagree on this point. For me, no human life is more sacred than another and the taking of ANY human life is a sacriledge. But you are Buddhist and these are your beliefs and so I respect them.

Let's join together in prayer for all the people there and not concentrate on our differences of opinion. In great love - E

I agree very much that the taking of any human life is very negative karma, and that no human life is more sacred than another. However, that wasn't my point. An attack against a Buddhist nun or monk is the same as an attack against one's own buddhanature because the nun or monk is wearing the robes of the Buddha and is holding the ordination vows as taught by the Buddha. To kill another human is the same as killing oneself; to attack one's own nature in an attempt to kill it (you can't, of course) is much worse and creates the cause for immense suffering. That was my point. It's not that the life of a monk or nun is more valuable than anyone else's.

Palzang
    edited March 2008
    As with the Burma demonstrations, the events in Tibet break my heart, shake my equanimity and raise painful feelings. David Lourie, of Dharma the Cat, posted this on his blog and it says what is in my mind:
    DAVID LOURIE’S TAKE
    First Myanmar, now Beijing – when Buddhist monks participate in violent political protests, that is a very controversial event. This is especially true for Buddhist practitioners, and even more so for Buddhist monks, who have taken strict vows to honour and practice the dharma (the Buddha’s teachings), and to obey official the rules of conduct laid down for all ordained monks, for them to remain members of the order.
    At the core of the Buddha’s teachings is the notion that in order to realise spiritual enlightenment, one must forsake all worldly attachments, including any attachment to personal and political issues.
    In doing this, one has to let go of one’s concern for all problems arising from this ever-changing and often cruel life we’re born into, which is generally imbued with unsatisfactoriness (“dukkha”).
    Many people outside Buddhist circles have long queried, “Why don’t Buddhist monks take a more pro-active role in championing human rights?”
    The answer is that the official precepts for Buddhist monks, strictly interpreted, don’t allow this sort of conduct.
    A fundamental principle of Buddhist conduct is to “not be attached to any outcome” of one’s worldly activities, regardless of what’s at stake. The Buddhist principle of Right Conduct requires monks to never violate the highly valued spiritual states of equanimity and non-violence.
    So in difficult times like these, the equanimity and tolerance of any Buddhist monk is severely tested.
    Therefore, what would the protesting monks’ ideal solution be, for these conflicting objectives – to improve worldly conditions vs. realizing one’s own spiritual enlightenment?
    My own view on this is that if the worldly issues are pulling on a monk so hard that he can’t resist participating in worldly actions like violent protests, which go against the dharma for monks, then he should first remove his orange robe, and engage in those mundane activities as a non-Buddhist.
    But that’s just my opinion, and I know that opinions differ greatly on this subject.
    – David Lourie

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2008
    While I don't support violence, I think it's easy to sit in our comfortable homes in (relatively) safe countries and criticize the actions of these monks and nuns because it's not costing us anything to do it. Walk a mile in their shoes (or bare feet rather) before judging them. They've been oppressed, murdered, beaten, imprisoned and denied the most basic of human rights for longer than most of them have been alive. How would you act?

Palzang
    edited March 2008
    Personally, I'd always support non-violence, as I agree with HHDL's long-standing stance of dialogue and talks with China ever since his exile started.

The problem is when they don't work - would it be skilful to fixate ourselves on non-violence if we cannot successfully use it as a means to overcome our problems? My thought experiment now asks: Yet if non-violence is to be treated as the means rather than the ends, than is it right to hold freedom as an end?

Anyway, I think Simon did bring up the fact that not all Tibetans are homogenous in their philosophies against the Chinese oppression, and where HHDL has failed the others even after a good few decades, we should perhaps, give the other, more-active philosophies a chance. The Buddhist problem here would be a matter of the skill. Could something else mentioned other by HHDL be more skilful?

I think at least we ain't Catholics! :p
    "How darest thou think of me the Popeye to belittle my opinion!! EXCOMMUNICATION!!"

But again, if we have a spiritual head who openly decides that his course of action was unskilful and that the violence is what is skilful - and declares it thus, the PR would be terrible. In fact, such would immediately force Buddhism to be viewed in the same vein as extremist Islamism. :( Either way, Tibet will be the ultimate test of HHDL's understanding and insight. Rock on! It ain't easy to be the Dalai Lama!
    edited March 2008
    I wish there was truly something I could do to support the Tibetans. I don't need nor want to walk a mile in their shoes. To me, human suffering caused by other humans is a deplorable thing, and I want nothing more than to see Tibet's autonomy restored. "All men are created equal and are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights." The right to believe what you want to believe is one of these. At the least, I'll add my vocal support, saying this is wrong. Hopefully, a solution will be found soon.
    edited March 2008
    Once again, during an American administration that I have disliked, I am surprised and delighted. Speaker Pelosi's visit to Dharamsala is superb! And what a courageous joint call for independent observers and investigation of China's allegations against HHDL. How many other leaders (or any of us for that matter) have the humility to demand independent investigation of their words and actions.

Palzang-la, I share the feeling of impotence, once again. As you say, we sit in our comfort and safety, firing off letters and emails. It is all we can do, along with the hope that any skillful actions of ours may help to bring an end to the violence. It never feels enough.

And how to reconcile my sympathy for the people of Tibet with my conviction that violence only breeds more violence? It is the same question that I used to ask myself standing outside South Africa House, and I still have no answer.
  • edited March 2008
    Palzang wrote: »
    While I don't support violence, I think it's easy to sit in our comfortable homes in (relatively) safe countries and criticize the actions of these monks and nuns because it's not costing us anything to do it. Walk a mile in their shoes (or bare feet rather) before judging them. They've been oppressed, murdered, beaten, imprisoned and denied the most basic of human rights for longer than most of them have been alive. How would you act?

Palzang

I can't answer that question Palzang because I have never been in that position but I do know that, even though I am a pacifist, that I believe with all my heart that violence is never the answer, if someone attacked my husband or my dogs I would go for them, hard and fast and violent. That is the only answer I can give you.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2008
    I agree with you knitwitch, but people can be pushed beyond their limits no matter how strong their beliefs. In Bushi's new thread on duty and honor I point out that no matter how noble your motivations are for participating in a war, once you're out in it, your natural tendencies take over, and humans are natural born killers. We love killing. We love the feeling of power it gives us. We try to cover that up with our philosophies and ethics and religious beliefs, but when you're being shot at and your buddies are being blown to bits next to you, all that goes out the window and you begin to act on instinct alone. The same goes for the Tibetans. I know they've had non-violence drummed into them from day one, but they're still sentient beings, they're still human. They can be pushed beyond their limits and react violently. We all can.

So rather than criticize them for losing it, so to speak, why not focus on the Chinese who are the ones responsible for pushing them to such degradation? And for no reason. Surely the Chinese must have better crowd control techniques than tanks and assault rifles! Do they really have to slaughter the demonstrators? Now the Chinese media is calling for the rioters to be "crushed". Why? How are they harming China? Is China going to fall apart if they don't crush them?

Well, the answer, unfortunately, is that they might. The Chinese government's hold on the Chinese people is as tenuous as their hold on the Tibetan people. Remember Tienanmen? That hatred is always just below the surface in China, and the only way the Commies can maintain power is through constant terror. That's the reality of what's going on there, and that's why we can't just go belly up and let them have their Olympics to show everyone how "civilized" they are. They've had 6,000 years to develop a civilization there, and this is the best they can do? They should be ashamed!

Palzang
    edited March 2008
    The First Precept is to do no harm. But there is a fine line between the perpetration of violence, and acting in self-defence.
    given the sheer magnitude of the provocation, and the duration of the oppressive violence wrought against Tibet, it is scarcely surprising now, that finally, the camel's back is bent and broken, and that the Tibetans have finally sought to act the way they have.

How many Other Cheeks do you suppose they have turned, until now?
    edited March 2008
    The latest issue of TIME, quite expectedly, has done a writeup on the Tibet issue and HHDL's ideals in general. I find it excellent, though TIME has been accused of being fairly conservative a news magazine.

Amongst some of the things discussed are about HHDL's ideas of being 'realistic', with it the journalist writes of him not quite expecting the world to dare boycott the Olympics, or impose sanctions like those during the Saffron Revolution, because HHDL recognizes the interdependence net the world has with China. The journalist suggests it to be possible 20 years ago, but now?

The idea that China is not just the government alone - but also its people and also by interdependence, the world, is well-presented in the article. Although opinions reacting to it may be varying, I should praise the author for his excellent coverage of the conservative camp, though I emphasize that it is not THE ONLY WAY we could resolve this. In the Dalai Lama's words, 'The Chinese are our friends' - and the conservative camp seems to ride on this, logically, though I am not sure to when will this quote change from justification to abuse. I do think though, this article is one worth reading for its honesty.

Interestingly, other than direct insights into the issue, from the article I have also been led to think of the Tibetan refugee community as akin to those refugee communities scattered around Africa due to war and famine - why, has this community been so successful in their preservation of a culture and the sustainence of a decent standard of living, and others not? I am persuaded to believe that this is because of the continual effort HHDL has put in as a symbol of the community. :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2008
    You're quite right, Ajani. His Holiness has been the glue that has held the scattered Tibetans together. As for the notion that countries don't have the balls to boycott the Olympics, I would disagree. Many nations boycotted the Moscow Olympics, though admittedly the old Soviet Union did not have the economic clout that China does. I mean, slave labor does have its advantages, doesn't it?

Palzang
    edited March 2008
    Tut-tut, the failings of capitalism - if only we could have businesses not solely interested in just cheap labour... Anyone feeling Communist recently? (Gee, the irony.)
    edited March 2008
    ajani, the problem is that communism doesn't work so well either. Government officials are there because they are ambitious enough to be there, so they do what they can to hold on to their power, and the people who aren't in power will often be lazy enough to only do the minimum, as they know they aren't going any higher. The solution is to find the happy medium, which China almost has. Key word almost. The US isn't even close, as we are over regulating in the wrong areas, and under taxing in the areas we should be, re tariffs.

The whole idea behind a global economy is that I have this to sell to you, you have that to sell to me, so we'll trade evenly for that. But the goods I sell already, I'm taxing heavily so that my people's interests are served. You want to sell more in my nation, you build a better product.
    edited March 2008
    In my history classes now I'm studying on just that - the global economy. How I like history! A grand tale of randomness that manifests into purpose, much to what I used to think of history as a progression. Well history is seemingly a progression, but it is not a conscious one - alot of times it is not by a man's expected decision that leads to a certain course in history.

Personally, nowadays in my private study of political systems, I am feeling more and more anarchist, but it is with its implementations that I have problems and logical dilemmas with. Well, looks like 'power to the people' shall be right for me now.
    edited March 2008
    I love my country...!

Top items on the news today....
    Judges should give harsher sentences for those breaking our gun laws.
    Accident Prevention Organisations want people to become aware of how dangerous it is to drive whilst tired.
    And costs of Birthday parties are spiralling out of control, so parents are cutting back radically on things like party bags and hired entertainment....

WE do so like to live on a knife-edge here....:rolleyes: :mad:
  • edited March 2008
    And to stop people smoking, they're going to make shopkeepers HIDE the cigarettes!

As if that, walking on broken glass or having to crawl through fire would stop a real addict getting to their fix! :confused: