Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Cats, Iron Chef, and Books. ^_^ - The official HOBBIES thread

SabineSabine Veteran
edited February 2006 in General Banter
So, what are your hobbies?
*note: Iron Chef is a Japanese cooking show--not just any cooking show. It's very dramatic :D

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited June 2005
    video games and music :)
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Wow, really? :lol: What console? I have a PS2. :bigclap:
    And what type of music? I like techno, and some rock, and hindi-pop, and techno...
    edited June 2005
    Mostly PC gaming, but I luv my gamecube too. I have a gamecube, Super Nintendo (!!), Dreamcast, N64, and PS1.

Next month i'm hosting my second annual huge LAN party - ShortMedia LAN 2005. We had a blast last year, around 30 attendees, and this year we're going to have about 40.

There goes my summer :p

as far as music: I play bass. I like quite a variety of music. See the musical tastes thread for that list :D
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Wow. I'd love to go to a LAN party one day :bawling:
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I love Iron Chef.
    edited June 2005
    I can't believe I forgot my other hobby.. Amateur photography. I am not any good, but I really enjoy taking pictures :)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Eatting is one of my hobbies. I love food. I don't understand how I stay so small with all the food I eat. I also like to watch movies and anime. I can spend a whole day watching a movie marathon or a complete 26 episode series. My other favourite pastime is reading. I spend a lot of time reading books at Borders and the used book store Logos. But posting here is by far my most important hobby!
    edited June 2005
    hahah eating is one of my hobbies too. But I don't manage to stay small :p
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Elohim wrote:
    Eatting is one of my hobbies. I love food. I don't understand how I stay so small with all the food I eat. I also like to watch movies and anime. I can spend a whole day watching a movie marathon or a complete 26 episode series. My other favourite pastime is reading. I spend a lot of time reading books at Borders and the used book store Logos. But posting here is by far my most important hobby!
    :bowdown: Marry me! Someone else actually likes anime? :bawling: That's so great... :bawling:
    I mean, well, you don't have to marry me. XD What are your favorites?
    Yeah, same here--the Barnes and Noble/Borders staff around here are probably getting quite tired of me. :o *spends hours in the manga sections*
    Anyway, I wish I could stay small, but...*sigh* I blame it on being female. After all, we're supposed to be curvy, right? :D:D:D
    @ Brian: Awesome! I was interested in taking photography next year in school, but cameras are pretty steep, whoo. :banghead:
  • edited June 2005
    Hobbies: music, movies, playstation2, pc gaming, physique training, martial arts, and of course catching the badguys.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I really love movies. That's why I admin on dvds4life.com. I also love comic books, Kung Fu, working on cars, and driving my boat. I love the water.
    edited June 2005
    Oh, so many to name a favourite....Lets see: Trigun, Escaflowne, Hellsing, Ping Pong Club, Evangelion, Golden Boy, Anything by Studio Ghibli i.e. Princess Mononoke, Kiki, Porco Rosso, Cat Returns, Spirited Away, Howl's moving Castle, etc, X, Bastard, Earthian, Dragon Ball z and GT, Record of Lodoss Wars, Pet Shop of Horrors, BoogiePop Phantom, Outlaw Star, El Hazard, etc, etc.....and on forever! All in Japanese with English subtitles.
    edited June 2005
    Don't forget anything with Captain Harlock in it. He's my favortie.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2005
    Elohim wrote:
    Oh, so many to name a favourite....Lets see: Trigun, Escaflowne, Hellsing, Ping Pong Club, Evangelion, Gloden Boy, Anything by Studio Ghibli i.e. Princess Mononoke, Kiki, Porco Rosso, Cat Returns, Spirited Away, Howl's moving Castle, etc, X, Bastard, Earthian, Dragon Ball z and GT, Record of Lodoss Wars, Pet Shop of Horrors, BoogiePop Phantom, Outlaw Star, El Hazard, etc, etc.....and on forever! All in Japanese with English subtitles.

*Displays her profound and deeply engrained carefully cultivated ignorance* Elohim.... as far as I'm concerned, you might as well be talking Japanese with NO subtitles.... I have absolutely NO idea what all the above is.....!!
    *groan!* Can feel old age accellerating at sub-atomic speed on me!!
    edited July 2005
    All of what he said made sense to me. :vimp:
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited July 2005
    federica wrote:
    *Displays her profound and deeply engrained carefully cultivated ignorance* Elohim.... as far as I'm concerned, you might as well be talking Japanese with NO subtitles.... I have absolutely NO idea what all the above is.....!!
    *groan!* Can feel old age accellerating at sub-atomic speed on me!!
    Ah, a n00b (newbie) to anime! :bigclap: I shall be your sensei (teacher), Fed, worry not!
    Anime is the current Japanese cultural phenomenon. It's basically Japan's own style of animation, and it's VERY popular in America. I think it's starting to catch on in Europe, slowly but surely--so you might be lucky and see one of these titles one day soon :D The comic book form of anime is called manga.
    And you're not old :p
    Anyways, back to favourite anime--I like pretty much all of those too. My new love is Samurai Champloo! [adult swim] is awesome :lol: (And I live near Atlanta, which is their HQ :D )
  • edited July 2005
    Theatre is my main hobby. I love acting.
    Brian, I also have a Gamecube and SNES, and it's good to know I'm not the only one. (I live in X-Box/PS2 country)
    Don't worry Fed., I'm very young and most of what Elohim is saying is complete gibberish to me.
  • edited July 2005
    Elohim wrote:

I hate reading things like that!!! ;) I run 4 times a week, do yoga 3-4 times a week and I have to watch what I eat to stay in the shape I am in! My hobbies are Yoga (obviously) running, reading, playing with my daughter and spending time with my hubby.
    edited July 2005
    Sabine wrote:
    Ah, a n00b (newbie) to anime! :bigclap: I shall be your sensei (teacher), Fed, worry not!
    Anime is the current Japanese cultural phenomenon. It's basically Japan's own style of animation, and it's VERY popular in America. I think it's starting to catch on in Europe, slowly but surely--so you might be lucky and see one of these titles one day soon :D The comic book form of anime is called manga.
    And you're not old :p
    Anyways, back to favourite anime--I like pretty much all of those too. My new love is Samurai Champloo! [adult swim] is awesome :lol: (And I live near Atlanta, which is their HQ :D )

Actually back in the 1980's we called it Japanimation. That
    s when it started getting popular in the States. :)
    edited July 2005
    I love Adult Swim. I watch it religiously. I have loved Japanese animation ever since I frst saw Vampire Hunter D and Akira (also favourites) sometime in the early 90's.
    Sorry YogaMama ;) If it makes you feel any better I'm short, and I'll never be taller than 5'5". How I use to dream of being tall and dashing. Sigh. In reality I'm small and scampering.
  • edited July 2005
    AHA! I am 5'10", so at least I have that going for me! :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2005
    I'm an economy-sized four foot ten inch late 50's model....!
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Wow, same height as you, YogaMama! Except I'm fifteen. Does that mean I'm weird? :D Nah, actually, some lady came up to me one day and asked if I was into modeling. THAT was bizarre :confused:
    Elohim! Believe me, if you came anywhere near my school, you'd have hordes of girls chasing you around. And you certainly don't act small and scampering anyway--you seem like someone that has dignity. So don't worry about the height, it's how you carry yourself that matters :bigclap:
  • edited July 2005
    Goju Ryu karate and kobudo
  • edited July 2005
    Elohim wrote:
    I love Adult Swim. I watch it religiously. I have loved Japanese animation ever since I frst saw Vampire Hunter D and Akira (also favourites) sometime in the early 90's.
    Sorry YogaMama ;) If it makes you feel any better I'm short, and I'll never be taller than 5'5". How I use to dream of being tall and dashing. Sigh. In reality I'm small and scampering.

Yeah, I like Adult Swim myself. I get a real kick out of it. :lol::lol:

Adiana :lol::lol::):)
    edited July 2005
    Sabine wrote:
    So don't worry about the height, it's how you carry yourself that matters :bigclap:

Sabine you are so right.... at my height, I am liable to get inadvertently pushed around whilst out shopping, in a busy shopping centre or mall.... My B/F reamarked one day how I seemed to get continuously pushed off the pavement, or knocked on my shoulders and sent flying - he was getting seriously peed off on my behalf! Anyways, I said "oh, I can soon change that - I'll just get some Chi flowing!" He looked at me like I was mental (which I am, but let's just make that our little secret, ok? ;)
    So I just mentally generated my Chi and gave myself an extra "coating" and kept walking.... Moses and the red Sea got nothing on me..... people were parting in waves, stepping off the sidewalk to make way.... Nick said that if he hadn't seen it with his own eyes, he'd have never believed it. Chi is a grand thing! Ask Harlan, Comic or BeautifulSpringtimeFist - they'll tell you too! Yogamama would call it Prana....
  • edited July 2005
    federica wrote:
    Chi is a grand thing! Ask Harlan, Comic or BeautifulSpringtimeFist - they'll tell you too! Yogamama would call it Prana....

Actually Comic has not been introduced to qi gong - maybe you could lead an online seminar!

:wavey: :ninja: :wavey:
    edited July 2005
    Actually I have had Chi training. I have some understandng of it. In my style I use Chi, too. I have learned ot generate heat from my body. I can pull heat balls from my bell;y button and hold them. Beginners tricks, yes, but it's a start. I have been practicing harnessing my Chi as of late. I am more mindfull of it's existence throughout my body and I feel it coming out more and more. One day I will figure out how to hit someone with it. :bowdown:
  • edited July 2005
    My hobbies would be animals, being outside, reading, working out and cartoons! LoL
    I like adult swim..but I guess I'm still a kid, and watch nickelodeon... :o:p:lol:
    I love comedy central.
    I love food...everything about it....however I can't be lucky like Elohim and stay small..I have to watch what I eat.
    I would absolutely love to get into Yoga! But the nearest Yoga place is like 30 to 45 minutes from me. Right now, I can't get time to travel that far...:(
    edited July 2005
    Hey, there's nothing worng with Nickelodeon. I wish they still showed Rocko's modern life.
  • edited July 2005
    I know, I loved that cartoon...my all time favorite.
    I liked kablam, angry beavers, and ren and stimpy. But they took those off too...The new cartoons are ok like fairily odd parents and danny phantom but nothing beats Rocko. :)
    edited July 2005
    Ha! I forgot about Angry Beavers. That was a good one too. I also like Avatar the last Air Bender. It's hard to believe that I'm 26 by the shows I watch.
    edited July 2005
    You guys are labeling yourselves. I used to love you can't do that on television. I would love to see that again. There was also this Koala show that I liked.
  • edited July 2005
    I think I know the koala cartoon your talking about...I barley remember it...there was a small pink girl and a larger grey looking boy....hmmm

I just remembered
    Ahh Real Monsters and Doug.
    Are you afraid of the dark
    As told by ginger

:)
    edited July 2005
    I forget. It had a group of animal kids doing nice things for each other.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    We had 'You cant do that on television' here when I was in primary school. I loved it. One of those special things that still reminds me of my childhood.
  • edited July 2005
    I had to think on this hobby thing. It's been so long since I have time to myself.
    I love to read, am a novice at yoga, although I love it!! I like computer games, the simple
    games. I also like being with my kids, although they are becoming adults

Charla
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Charla I know what you mean - the other day I found myself without my child for a couple of hours and I was lost! I simply did not know what to do with free time anymore! I am either at work, with Bridie, or asleep these days...
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Ah, did I mention my Harry Potter obsession? :D I must have forgotten it admist the havoc which was the new book's opening.
    A test of my attachment--my favorite character died. :bawling: Ah, well. J.K. Rowling wrote the entire thing so beautifully, it's forgiveable ;)
    Also--
    I'M LEAVING FOR FRANCE ON MONDAY! WHOO!
    So, don't expect this one to be online until August 4. I'll miss you all! :D
    edited July 2005
    Which character died?
  • NoiNoi
    edited August 2005
    I too enjoy "Iron chef" american and japanese. I also like animes, listening to j-pop, playing video games (ocassionally), eating, shopping, going to the movies, and I'm an ameuter star-gazer.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    What is j-pop?
  • NoiNoi
    edited August 2005
    It is japanese 'pop' music.
    edited August 2005
    J-pop is awesome. Smile DK, the band that does a lot of the music for Dance Dance Revolution is great. Star gazing is cool too. I used to have a telescope, but I never did get too good at it. :( I saw an awesome view of mars once though a few years ago when it was very close. :)
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    J-pop. Should have guessed, LOL! I have been to the observatory once, it was amazing.
  • NoiNoi
    edited August 2005
    Wow! Sounds fascinating! I have always dreamt of going to one of the observatories.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    It was mindblowing. You have little idea of how many stars there are until you see it all through such a massive telecope. I would love to take my partner there one day. I am lucky enough to live in the 'hills' near Perth, in a reasonably low density area. ASo as there is little man made light at night, we can see a lot more stars than in a city. That in itself is great. Yay stars!
    edited August 2005
    the most incredible view i ever had of the stars was during the great blackout of the northeastern US two summers ago. The power was out for hundreds of miles around, so the view was probably close to as dark as it gets in any unspoiled part of the earth. I have never seen the sky like that. It was a life-changing experience.
    edited August 2005
    I have a new hobby. Spending time here. :smilec:
  • NoiNoi
    edited August 2005
    Brian wrote:
    the most incredible view i ever had of the stars was during the great blackout of the northeastern US two summers ago. The power was out for hundreds of miles around, so the view was probably close to as dark as it gets in any unspoiled part of the earth. I have never seen the sky like that. It was a life-changing experience.

How amazing! It's been a long time since I've seen a dark sky. Quite astonishing indeed!!!