Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

You just picked Buddhism because you are a ...

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Hi, Les, and welcome. It sounds like you live in the UK, and we have several long-time members who also do (as you've probably noticed).

I don't know what books you've read, but if you haven't read any of these, you might want to give them a look. The Myth of Freedom by Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche. The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche. What the Buddha Taught by Walpole Rahula. Stabilizing the Mind by Jetsunma Ahkon Lhamo (my teacher). What Makes You Not a Buddhist by Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse. There are many more, but those are some of my favorites.

As for me, I've been a Buddhist monk for over 15 years in the Nyingma School of Tibetan Buddhism. So feel free to ask away!

Palzang
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Thank you Palzang for the welcome. I am British, but live in Bermuda, Britain's oldest remaining colony. Oops, that's a bad word, we're called British Overseas Dependant Territories - fancy words for colony! :)

My reading so far is as follows:
    Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind - Suzuki (the one that blew me away - literally)
    Buddhism for Beginners - Thubten Chodron
    Awakening the Buddha Within - Lama Surya Das
    Open Heart, Clear Mind - Thubten Chodron
    Awakening to the Scared- Lama Surya Das
    Present Moment, Wonderful Moment - Thich Nhat Hanh
    Buddhism for Busy People - David Mitchie
    Hurry up and Meditate - David Michie

Since discovering this site I've perused the recommended books thread, and gotten a couple of new ideas! :D

I guess the single biggest question I have at the moment is... Does it make sense to continue (or try to continue) on the Path, with no community around me, and with no access to teachers or training?

Les

PS: How far is Poolesville from Baltimore or Hunt Valley (two places I visit in MD) Belay that!!! I just looked it up. I guess the question should be how long does it take to get to Arlington, VA where I visit even more!
  • edited December 2008
    Hi Les,
    Welcome, I understand not having a sangha or teacher. I have none of those where I am....I feel like my sangha is here....If I have a question many are willing to help and answer any questions you may have.....I have met some wonderful ppl through NB and visit with them regularly. It has helped my practice so much......

As for a teacher, I have spoken to a few Buddhist about this.......My thoughts are that if I'm meant to have a teacher in person it will happen. If not, then life is my teacher and all the wonderful books, videos etc... will just have to do till that time...

Everyone is great here........I hope you enjoy your time at NB....

Namaste'
    Deb
    edited December 2008
    Thanks Deb,

I guess that's kinda what I meant when I said above, to do something is better than to do nothing. In my life, whatever I have needed to do has always presented itself to me, so I guess I should just keep on, keepin' on.

I certainly will utilize this community. I've looked at few... some were actually combative! I guess I missed that part of the Dharma teaching!!! :)
    Musta been in the Martial Arts section!!! ;)

Again thanks for the greeting, I feel welcome already.

Namasté

Les
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Howdy Les and welcome!

As a seeker myself, at this point I don't feel the need for a teacher as I am still asking many basic questions and trying to get answers for them. I tried to get a teacher and found out it was a bad fit. As for a sangha, this web site is it. It is very supportive and we try to treat all with respect. We also tease each other lovingly, so if you like a good laugh, you'll fit in without trouble.

I being a reader also would suggest the Dhammapadda in whatever version you may find. Check Amazon.com or b&n.com or Borders Online and see what they have. Have you tried meditating yet? There are plenty of websites that will tell you how to do it. I'm not sure if we have instructions here. http://www.mro.org/zmm/teachings/meditation.php is the easiest instructions I've found online. It explains all postures that one can use. The one that you can sit comfortably in is the best one for you to use. I have a meditation chair as I need the back support. Some can sit like a Lotus for hours. I would be screaming "UNCLE, AUNT, and MOMMY!!!!!!" in about 3 seconds if I did.

Some of us are clergy, some are lay people and some study the Pali Canon alot (GO JASON!). Find what works for you. But if you start feeling like you've read too much, stop for a while. I have to be told that a lot as I can read a book a week when I get going and then feel overloaded later. The spiritual book I'm reading right now is called "Good Omens. Bad Omens" which is about 2 angels trying to preventing Armageddon from happening. I've laughed alot this week and found it's been the best book of the week for me.

Post as you like. We like newbies

Jerbear
    edited December 2008
    Hi Jerbear,

I have the Dhammapadda both in book form as well as in audio form on my iPod. Forgot to mention that earlier.

Having been studying and reading for a while, but avoiding trying to meditate like the plague!!! FINALLY, I have come to the realization that if I'm not prepared to meditate, then all the other stuff is merely an intellectual exercise. So I have begun to meditate. Small steps at first. Breath counting. Low demand... 4 breath cycles for 10 minutes. So far, so good.

I have never been able to sit cross-legged, even as a kid in PE class, so now I'm old, and arthritis is a constant companion, a chair it is for me. But it's working OK... better than I thought actually, and while it's only been a few days, I think I'll be able to stick with it.

Les
  • edited December 2008
    Hi Les - don't ask me for any guidance whatsoever but I am a big shoulder to cry on if you need it and supply endless cups of tea and plates of cake.

I am the misfit of the group .... but occupy myself with being the reality merchant and Auntie ... feel free to make use of either.
  • edited December 2008
    Oh KW can I come for tea and cake toooooooo.... I love tea and cake...

and I've already used the shoulder to cry on.....thanks KW

Solstice Blessings my dear friend.....
  • edited December 2008
    Les,
    You might try some of Pema Chodron. I love her.....She is an American Buddist Nun. I find her teachings so easy to understand.......

She has a web site if you want to check her out before you buy one of her books....

Hey guys how do you put those 2 little dots above the O's in her name???????
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2008
    LesC wrote: »
    Thank you Palzang for the welcome. I am British, but live in Bermuda, Britain's oldest remaining colony. Oops, that's a bad word, we're called British Overseas Dependant Territories - fancy words for colony! :)

My reading so far is as follows:
    Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind - Suzuki (the one that blew me away - literally)
    Buddhism for Beginners - Thubten Chodron
    Awakening the Buddha Within - Lama Surya Das
    Open Heart, Clear Mind - Thubten Chodron
    Awakening to the Scared- Lama Surya Das
    Present Moment, Wonderful Moment - Thich Nhat Hanh
    Buddhism for Busy People - David Mitchie
    Hurry up and Meditate - David Michie

Since discovering this site I've perused the recommended books thread, and gotten a couple of new ideas! :D

I guess the single biggest question I have at the moment is... Does it make sense to continue (or try to continue) on the Path, with no community around me, and with no access to teachers or training?

Les

PS: How far is Poolesville from Baltimore or Hunt Valley (two places I visit in MD) Belay that!!! I just looked it up. I guess the question should be how long does it take to get to Arlington, VA where I visit even more!

Well, Les, I'd say your book selection is pretty good. Zen Mind/Beginner's Mind blew me away too. Does every time I pick it up.

We're about 20-30 minutes from Arlington, depending on what time of day you're driving. It's straight up River Road. Let me know when you're going to be around, and maybe you can come visit the temple. We've got over two dozen stupas on the property ranging in size from 3 ft to 38 ft. Definitely worth the visit!

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Hi Les,
    As for a teacher, I have spoken to a few Buddhist about this.......My thoughts are that if I'm meant to have a teacher in person it will happen. If not, then life is my teacher and all the wonderful books, videos etc... will just have to do till that time...

Deb, my response to this is that your teacher will appear when you create the causes for that to happen. You can do that, you know. It is in your power. It happens when you're so sick of revolving in samsara endlessly that you' re ready to do anything to get off the wheel.

Which leads me back to Les and your question about staying where you're at with no sangha or community to support you in your practice. My question would be the same: how badly do you want out of samsara? If that is something that burns within you, something that you'll go to any lengths to accomplish because you are so disgusted with samsara, then I think you know the answer. I'm not saying that with any expectation one way or the other or any "shoulds" attached. I'm just saying that if the desire is there to get out, then you'll find a way to do it.

Palzang
    edited December 2008
    Les,
    You might try some of Pema Chodron. I love her.....She is an American Buddist Nun. I find her teachings so easy to understand.......

She has a web site if you want to check her out before you buy one of her books....

Hey guys how do you put those 2 little dots above the O's in her name???????

Thanks inthedharma, I've seen her work, but never really looked at it.

:ot:
    The term is "Umlat" and shows a Germanic origin to the name. I'm not sure how to do it on a PC, but on a Mac, the keystrokes are [option U] followed by the letter you wish to put the umlat over. So in the case of ö, that would be option-u, followed by an o. Here endeth the technology lesson. :ot:
    edited December 2008
    Palzang wrote: »
    Well, Les, I'd say your book selection is pretty good. Zen Mind/Beginner's Mind blew me away too. Does every time I pick it up.

We're about 20-30 minutes from Arlington, depending on what time of day you're driving. It's straight up River Road. Let me know when you're going to be around, and maybe you can come visit the temple. We've got over two dozen stupas on the property ranging in size from 3 ft to 38 ft. Definitely worth the visit!

Palzang

You can count on it!!! Unfortunately I just came back after a 10 day stay. But can I keep a rain-check for next time. I usually go at least once a year maybe more if funds allow.
    edited December 2008
    Which leads me back to Les and your question about staying where you're at with no sangha or community to support you in your practice. My question would be the same: how badly do you want out of samsara? If that is something that burns within you, something that you'll go to any lengths to accomplish because you are so disgusted with samsara, then I think you know the answer. I'm not saying that with any expectation one way or the other or any "shoulds" attached. I'm just saying that if the desire is there to get out, then you'll find a way to do it.

Palzang

And I clearly understand that. At this time my samsara is not bad enough to cause me to leave wife and family and take off in search of my destiny. My need to provide for my family at this difficult time far outweight any radical steps for progress.

I have been on The Path for many years, I didn't realize it was the Buddhist Path until recently, so many of the changes I need to make are already in progress to varying degrees, so the urgency of a geographical cure is not in the cards. However should circumstances change and I find myself living in the USA in the next few years, then I most certainly would choose to avail myself of all that may be readily available.

:)
  • edited December 2008
    Yes, you are correct Palzang.....I could change my life but I do not feel it is an option due to issues that have come about with John's health...But I do understand your point.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2008
    I don't think you can make an umlaut on a PC. You can in Word by hitting CTRL+Shift+: and then the letter you want the umlaut over, but it doesn't work in the browser. Of course, you could make it in Word and then copy it into the browser...

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Yes, you are correct Palzang.....I could change my life but that I do not feel is an option due to issues that have come about with John's health...But I do understand your point.

Sure, and I didn't mean to imply that you should. I was just pointing out that the teacher appears in our lives because we call him (or her). It's not just some accident that happens to us. In fact, nothing is an accident that just happens to us.

As for leaving the family or the sick husband or whatever, sure, I understand. That's not something most of us are willing to do. And that's OK. We have people who need us. It is still possible to practice in any event. Most of us practice that way. Even though I'm a monk, I haven't really renounced samsara. I still cling to it, even though I know it won't give me what I'm looking for. But the attachments run deep and strong.

However, the story of Siddhartha tells us that more is possible. Siddhartha was a wealthy prince without a care in the world, with a beautiful wife and a brand-new son he loved very much, but he abandoned all of that to search for an end to suffering, not so much for himself, but for all beings. He could not stand to see the suffering of sentient beings, and he had to find a way to bring about the cessation of that suffering. He knew that if he did stay with his family he would no doubt experience great happiness for many years, as they would, but could he bring them permanent happiness? Could he prevent them from growing old, aging, and dying? He couldn't even do that for himself, much less them. And what about all those beings that did not enjoy such a privileged life? Who would bring them happiness? The answer was no one, no one but himself if he was able to find the answer. So he had to find it. He left the palace, left that life of luxury, the family he loved dearly, because he knew that the only way to give them true, lasting happiness was to find it himself. And we know the end of the story - he did what he set out to do. His wife, Yashodara, and son, Rahula, eventually became his students and also attained enlightenment.

Not trying to preach here, just pointing out that there are always options. It's always a choice. And as my teacher says, all those sentient beings out there are counting on you. Only you.

Palzang
  • edited December 2008
    Thanks Palzang
  • edited December 2008
    That's what I always say - nothing ever hapens by accident and there is no such thing as coincidence. And when we need a teacher, one turns up .... sometimes in the most unexpected guise. :lol::lol:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Hi, Les!

Welcome to the site. It's lovely to meet you.

You're a Mac user? Me too! I just switched in September and I'm madly in love with my laptop. Crazy, madly in love. How's that for clinging?? :)

I tried your directions for making an Umlat and it worked beautifully. Right in the browser. Will wonders never cease? Thanks for that.

I hope you like it here as much as I do and benefit from it as much as I have. I love these people. They've helped me through so much. They've helped me see so much, too. Amazing mirrors.

Palzang,

Good reminder. I needed to hear that. You have an uncanny sense of timing.
    edited December 2008
    Hi Brigid,

Yes I was a Mac user before the Mac existed (now figure THAT out!). The Mac is a PC that has found enlightenment! Hahahahaha!!! If you need any Mac questions answered, I'm your guy!

I already like it here, everyone is so friendly, kinda like a family. I'll think I'll stick around for a bit. Thanks for the welcome!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Oh lordie, here we go with the Mac chauvinists!

Palzang
    edited December 2008
    OK, OK... I'll be good... no more I promise!!! :)
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Okay, which leads to Enlightenment faster? A Mac IBook or a Big Mac? :)
    edited December 2008
    Clearly an IBook... because it has already escaped its boundaries!! :lol:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Who cares? You can't eat an IBook!

Palzang
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2008
    And knowing McD's like all do, we don't know where any of it's products could have come from. LOL!
  • edited December 2008
    Hi Les,
    Welcome on board. Feel free to ask any questions. We're a fairly open minded bunch.
    Kris
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Hi Brigid,
    If you need any Mac questions answered, I'm your guy!
    Oooh! Great! Thanks, Les! I appreciate it.
    And don't worry, Palzang. I promise to use PMs for any questions I may have for Les. (That's Private Messages, for all newcomers.)

But since the Mac is such a superbly intuitive, miraculously simple, yet jammed-packed-with-features kind of machine, any questions I may have will probably be answered by the amazing and incredible operating system itself before I even know I have a question.

:D

Couldn't help myself.... Sorry...:p
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Welcome, Les, and a Merry Christmas to you in your 'colony'. Methinks, from your picture, that you may no longer be on the First Journey.

I, too, have been an active member of the Church of England and retain a love for it in all its silliness. Mind you, I've been a member (usually unofficially) of all sorts of other religious and political groupings, until I understood that they were all footprints of an ox that ceases to be once we find it and ride it home (do you know the Ten Ox-Herding Pictures? http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/mzb/oxherd.htm)

Many of us here are without a 'knee-to-knee' contact with a teacher or a community. It doesn't stop us taking refuge in the Sangha, although we have to make a different mental effort. It is also why a board such as this is so valuable. Your point about the combative tendency of some others (unnamed for reasons of Right Speech) is one that most of us have experienced. Members here do have little arguments but the undertone is always of genuine searching and compassion - love, even.

One useful piece of advice that I was given as a teenager was this:
    "Don't spend more time than you have to with people you wouldn't want to die with."
    I think it was my uncle, who had slogged through the jungle in Burma with Bill Slim's army and knew about death and companionship.

There is not one person contributing here, nor any of the 'lurkers' who PM me, with whom I would not be prepared to pass away.

Welcome - and thank you for so many early contributions. There is always a danger, among friends, that we shall sink into a companionable silence and doze in front of the fire - not that you need one where you are, I imagine.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Well, you know, Macs are popular with the artistic sort because they're right-brained. In other words, they have no techie savvies at all, so they have to make their computers really idiot-proof. ;)

I'm just anti-Mac because when I worked as an IT tech we had one person - the graphic designer, of course - who worked on a Mac, and it was a real pain to work on, network speaking. PCs were so much easier. And what this has to do with the original thread, I have no idea!

Palzang
    edited December 2008
    Brigid wrote: »
    But since the Mac is such a superbly intuitive, miraculously simple, yet jammed-packed-with-features kind of machine, any questions I may have will probably be answered by the amazing and incredible operating system itself before I even know I have a question.

:D

Couldn't help myself.... Sorry...:p

Hahahahahahaa!!! :lol: There are none so righteous, as the newly converted!!!

I love it!!! ;)
    edited December 2008
    I'm just anti-Mac because when I worked as an IT tech we had one person - the graphic designer, of course - who worked on a Mac, and it was a real pain to work on, network speaking. PCs were so much easier. And what this has to do with the original thread, I have no idea!

Palzang

Hahahaha!! I love it Palzang...!!! I never would have pegged you as a man inclined to take the path of least resistance!!! :crazy: Items of samsara work best in samsara, things outside samsara always appear as more difficult!! Hahahaha!!! I'm sorry - I couldn't resist that!! :) But I will forgive you for your earlier indiscretion... :)

Les
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2008
    I always take the path of least resistance! The watercourse way!

Perhaps it would have been easier if the whole place was using Macs, but trying to hook up a network printer to a Mac, for example, was extremely user unfriendly and very arcane. Doing the same on a PC was a piece of cake.

Palzang
  • edited December 2008
    hey Les,
    where did you get that cute little Namaste' guy?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Hahahahahahaa!!! :lol: There are none so righteous, as the newly converted!!!

The same could be said of "New Buddhists"!

Palzang
    edited December 2008
    hey Les,
    where did you get that cute little Namaste' guy?

It's from a forum I Admin/Moderate. Don't know if Fede could add it to the smilies here or not, I'd be happy to share it.

Until then you're free to use it, here's the URL:

{img}http://www.bermudaisanotherworld.org/images/namaste.gif{/img}

Just change those curly braces for square brackets around the IMG tags and you're good to go.

Namaste'
    edited December 2008
    The same could be said of "New Buddhists"!

Palzang

Hahahaha!!! There you go, talking about me again!!! :lol:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Actually we're all new Buddhists. No veterans here...

Palzang
    edited December 2008
    Actually we're all new Buddhists. No veterans here...

Palzang

The mark of a great man... humility... :om:
  • edited December 2008
    My teacher says that we seek out Buddhism in this life because there is a karmic inclination to it from a previous life. So did I choose Buddhism, or did Buddhism choose me?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Well, yes!

Palzang
  • edited December 2008
    That was one hand clapping if ever I heard it
  • edited February 2009
    buddhafoot wrote: »
    Why is it that there are so many people who, being, drawn to Buddhism, are those who have had bad experiences with other religions in the past?

Does this seem to be you?

What is your refuge?

Are you simply taking "refuge" in Buddhism because Christianity condemned your lifestyle or life choices?

Is that why you're here?

-bf

Not at all. I'm here because I like pretty flowers.
  • edited February 2009
    To me other religions seem to make me avoid life while Buddhism asks you to live it.
  • edited February 2009
    And running brooks:

A sense of belonging towards something that isn't quite understood. Pre-judging a religion over an other is a futile exercise towards disappointment regardless the denomination or the sect involved. Peace resides in a constructful dialogue with one's self that continually progresses into what is unknown and has never been experienced.

It regards history, but at the same time doesn't re-anact it from where it was struggling from.

Buddha went through many obstacles of the religious order of his time. He almost drowned to death through them by the story. A branch hanging off the bank of a swift river saved him before he became unconscience of the ordeal of a fanatisism that led him there.

That is when faith took hold.

He wouldn't give in. Yet a plant, a tree hanging off of a swiftly flowing river bank saved him. That is about the time the universe began to form our Lord and abide by over Him through mindful contemplation of the well known story of his reaching enlightenment under a bodhi tree and no longer clinging to it, but abiding with it.

He died later of eating tainted food, rice, a plant as well. But in regards to the faith he restored for us all, did he really 'die'? Your quite correct Butterfly. Buddha is all about life.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited February 2009
    Beautiful
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited February 2009
    buddhafoot wrote: »
    Why is it that there are so many people who, being, drawn to Buddhism, are those who have had bad experiences with other religions in the past?

Does this seem to be you?

What is your refuge?

Are you simply taking "refuge" in Buddhism because Christianity condemned your lifestyle or life choices?

Is that why you're here?

-bf

Not at all.

Not at all.

Gassho.
  • edited March 2009
    ...a$$hole. No, seriously, this is one of the reasons I became a Buddhist, to be a nicer person. ;-o
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Are you simply taking "refuge" in Buddhism because Christianity condemned your lifestyle or life choices? Is that why you're here?
    Christianity hasn't condemned me. In fact, Christianity has been nice to me, but it also has always been inconsistent and judgemental about pretty much everything else. So Buddhism was the obvious choice, because it is not only compassionate, but also largely open-minded. I'm grateful for being here now. Thanks friends, nice forum you have here. :-D
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2009
    Welcome, The cap,

Good to meet you and glad to hear that you had a reasonably good experience among Christians. As you say, there is a terrible tendency to make judgments but I would maintain that this attitude arises from human habit rather than from the spiritual family. Islam, for example, is seen as extremely law-bound and condemnatory but I am sure you know the Rumi quote (I fear that I have yet to track down the precise attribution):
    Out beyond ideas of right-doing and wrong-doing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

It takes the decision of an individual to go beyond judgment and, I suggest, the tools to enable this counter-intuitive development can be found in any ethico-religious system.