Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

You just picked Buddhism because you are a ...

124»

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2010
    buddhafoot wrote: »
    Why is it that there are so many people who, being, drawn to Buddhism, are those who have had bad experiences with other religions in the past?

It could be that those other religions just aren't very satisfactory.:p

P
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Why is it that there are so many people who, being, drawn to Buddhism, are those who have had bad experiences with other religions in the past?

Does this seem to be you?

What is your refuge?

Are you simply taking "refuge" in Buddhism because Christianity condemned your lifestyle or life choices?

Is that why you're here?

-bf

I'm not drawn to buddhism because I had bad experiences with religion in the past. I converted (not officially though) because I find it more suitable for me. I converted to buddhism mostly because I wanted (and still want) to learn detachment.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited July 2010

What is your refuge?

Are you simply taking "refuge" in Buddhism because Christianity condemned your lifestyle or life choices?

Is that why you're here?

-bf

My mom meditated and believed in karma and rebirth. She practiced yoga, not Buddhism ... but Buddhism was pretty scarce in the U.S. in 1949.

My refuge? Even as a preschooler, I saw how unhappy everyone I encountered was ... in my household, but also in the neighborhood I grew up in. So when I started questioning my mom about why she sat in the basement in the dark every afternoon (especially with those pictures of those funny-looking guys, one with long hair and one with a bump on his head) ... well ... what she told me made sense out of everything I'd seen up to that point in my short young life. My refuge? That quiet place you find in meditation, the one you can slip into your back pocket and carry around with you, even though it's hard to hang onto because it's slippery like wet soap.

And the only condemnation of my lifestyle is that it has been utterly boring and conventional. School, graduation, university, graduation, work, marriage, work, motherhood, raise kids, more school, back to work, divorce, more work ... yawwwwwn. But INSIDE ... oh how the dharma dances! Everything else pales beside it.

Why am I here?
    Do you mean "here", as in the website? Who knows?
    Do you mean "here", as in general? Because I am not enlightened.
  • edited July 2010
    Christianity seemed to have too many hypocritical teachings and seemed too detached from what was happening in the world. Too much judgement and violence against others when Jesus taught love and peace.
    I chose to follow Buddhism because it seemed like the spirituality that won't condemn me to hell for being human

-daniel
  • ZendoLord84ZendoLord84 Veteran
    edited July 2010
    buddhism feels good to me, it makes sense...
  • edited July 2010
    buddhism feels good to me, it makes sense...

I second that.

I like Buddhism's emphasis on the mind and lack of "pure faith" requirements. Plus, if you look up "religious war" on Wikipedia, the page doesn't mention Buddhism - tells you something.
  • edited July 2010
    Unlikelybdst, Buddhism may not have had a Religious Crusade or Jihad. But they are no stranger to war. 5 or 6 Buddhists burned themselves alive in protest of the South Vietnam government over some laws enacted against them and more. a small bit of history and I am not even telling story. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_Uprising its not the greatest place for info but itll give you a good idea of what happened. I apologize for derailing the topic.

Back to the post Ill give a third to what iamzenmaster's comment.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Um, so how does a few Buddhist monks burning themselves in protest against the government of South Viet Nam equate to waging war?

Palzang
  • edited July 2010
    I said nothing about waging war I said that buddhism is no stranger to war. I thought it interesting.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Well, you're right, Buddhists are no strangers to war - just like any other human. Many Buddhists have died in wars, usually as innocent victims. The original point, however, was that there have been no wars to spread the Buddhist religion, as there have been for just about every other religion. Also the act by the Vietnamese monks had nothing to do with the Vietnam war. They were protesting a law by the Catholic South Vietnamese government that discriminated against Buddhists.

Palzang
  • edited August 2010
    Refuge is much like a child living silently on their path without swerving, in courage one will continue regardless of insults and injuries. So one goes on being true to the nature of being a child. The environmental stressors may expect and demand the child to be something else and so one complies to the will of the institutions as one echoes the needs others. Imitation for a child is a way of protection. A wise child is one who learns the value of no harming, because the consequences of harming others is the harm will come back harder as acts of vengeance are self abuse. A child may carry the burdens of others but the child appreciates that which belongs to them and that which is not their own. A wise child knows one day these burdens will be given up up.

Ones painful burdens that accumulate from various forms of harming do pass away and in time and sometimes the finest of friends help the child to unburden the grief of loss. Yet the child knows that one is entirely alone in this pain and grief. The child knows what it means to have dark nights of the soul when hurts are purged as the tight knots of oppression in the heart are finally released. This process of giving up the past is similar to surgery, psychic surgery cleansing the wound. One is able to forgo the past so the child matures and as the soul ripens one becomes whole again body mind and soul.

So in this sanctuary of awareness one is a responsible child capable of being fully conscious of oneself and also conscious of others; in this state of awareness one is free of pain. Happiness is the absence of soul pain. One takes refuge in peace and knowing that is a fortunate thing.Courage remains so too the unswerving conviction that one is and always will be a child with the heart and soul of a Buddha.
  • edited September 2010
    Maybe because they decided to think for themselves...
  • edited September 2010
    When you say they decide for themselves I don't know what you mean who are they. It's not an answer is it it's like saying they as if you were never a child. What do you mean when you say they.
  • edited September 2010
    janet wrote: »
    When you say they decide for themselves I don't know what you mean who are they. It's not an answer is it it's like saying they as if you were never a child. What do you mean when you say they.

"They" referring to "people who, being, drawn to Buddhism" it is an answer, very much so. If you are at all acquainted with Buddhism you would know the Buddha said to question everything and not just to believe blindly. A child's mind on the other hand is pure and inquisitive until parents, teachers and society force ideology and religion on them.

If your question was actually intended to be Zen I would say "they" is pointing to the ego of others seeking truth outside what is considered to be the standard set by the influences in their lives.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2010
    The Kalama Sutta is a far deeper lesson than just exhorting people to "think for themselves". It's a common misconception that this is what the Buddha meant. For a deeper and more accurate interpretation, study this carefully....
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Thanks, Fede. One thing I've noticed on this particular forum is the tendency of many people, especially those new to Buddhism, to put their own spin on the Buddha's teachings to make it fit their particular mindset rather than just taking the teachings as they are. That, of course, is a very dangerous thing to do as the end result will just be more confusion and delusion, not enlightenment.

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2010
    Yes, I think it's what's known as "Buddha-Lite". Can't stand it. It's one of the reasons I left a prominent Women's forum in disgust because the way they expounded it was 'chewing-gum Buddhism'....

Buddhism is an extremely simple premise to adopt, but 'simple' doesn't mean 'easy'. It takes a whole lot of dedicated Concentration, Effort and Intention to "Simply" follow Buddhism. The more we need to shed, the heavier the onerous task can become.....
  • edited September 2010
    What I have observed is that people are not necessarily Buddhist in posting. Buddhism has many different traditions and many different practices saying "this is right and that is wrong" is dualistic in nature. I have lived and been educated in Buddhist countries for the past 26 years, for some reason we all find something to agree on and get along fine.
  • edited September 2010
    This is my first post, but it seems apt that I should make my introduction here.

About a year and a half ago, during May 2008, I had the great fortune to take a trip up to Gesthemani Abbey, located in Kentucky (United States), where I spent about 4 days on retreat. What prompted me to visit the abbey was the writings of Thomas Merton, renowned Catholic spiritual writer. I had read through a number of his books, found his life of monastic simplicity compelling, and wanted to both experience that quiet simplicity for myself and see where this honorable man was buried. A number of traditional and conservative Catholics don't approve of Merton's writings because, later in his life, Merton dabbled more and more frequently in Buddhism to the point that some actually think he abandoned Catholicism. Merton was even good friends with the 14th Dalai Llama. He died in Bangkok after electrocuting himself by accident.

While in Kentucky, I took a moment to visit a long-time good friend who is going to medical school. While chatting about life over pizza and a couple beers, I confessed that I was drawn to the monastic way of life. To my surprise, he wasn't surprised - not even a little. Instead, he told me that for as long as he knew me I had proven to be somebody always searching for Truth.

I knew right then that he was right. I am a seeker - and, to quote the words of The Who, "I won't get to what I'm after until the day I die."

Since April 7, 2007 I have been Catholic. Prior to that, I dabbled in all of the Abrahamic religions to some extent, with some deeper involvement than others. I was even a Religious Studies major in college. At the time of choosing my major, I had hoped to study Buddhism in addition to creative writing and travel the East and write fantastic novels like Hemingway. During my senior year in high school I had gotten turned onto Buddhism, but I can't remember how. Perhaps it was through Kerouac. I do remember reading Steve Hagen's book and later investing in Goddard's "A Budddhist Bible." I attempted meditation on a regular basis, but it seems that I approached Buddhism from me evangelical, fundamentalism Protestant background and got burned out on it pretty quick. But oh, how I enjoyed discussing Buddhist philosophy with my friends!

At this point in my life, I'm not searching to become Buddhist. I'm tired of labels and niches. Reading John Kloppenborg's "Q: The Earliest Gospel" and William Arnal's "Jesus and the Village Scribes" has caused me to thoroughly reconsider my faith in both Jesus as Savior and the church. I now see Jesus as being a prophet, no different than the other Old Testament prophets. To that end, the New Testament, while containing great wisdom in places, has no real meaning for me anymore. At least, not now.

While I was Catholic, and while I was reading Merton, I started getting into something called "centering prayer." I haven't practiced it in a long, long time, but the essence of it is similar to meditation. It was developed and has been promoted by a couple of Cistercian monks, Thomas Keating and Basil Pennington, and is based on the 14th century text "The Cloud of Unknowing"; however, as mentioned above, the same conservative Catholics skeptical of Merton's fidelity to Catholicism likewise question the aim of centering prayer. Some see it as a clear heretical practice and should be avoided at all costs.

For now, I'm living life with an open mind - as far as possible. That is, as should be evident by now from what I've said about my place in Catholicism, I have no great love for the traditional and conservative (read: superstitious) aspects of the faith or its adherents. While I have great respect for women like Therese of Lisieux, I cannot accept that women like her are holy while men like Dietrich Bonhoeffer and Thich Quang Duc are not.
  • edited September 2010
    I discovered Buddhism through meditation. I found as the more I read about Buddha's teachings the more it made perfect sense and just feels right for me.

I was baptized as a Methodist but we never went to church when I was young. I have no qualms with Christianity or any other religion. I just never felt a personal connection with God; even on the few times I went to church or worked funerals. Interestingly enough I'm currently attending a conservative Christian university (Liberty).
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited September 2010
    FoibleFull wrote: »
    My mom meditated and believed in karma and rebirth. She practiced yoga, not Buddhism ... but Buddhism was pretty scarce in the U.S. in 1949.

My refuge? Even as a preschooler, I saw how unhappy everyone I encountered was ... in my household, but also in the neighborhood I grew up in. So when I started questioning my mom about why she sat in the basement in the dark every afternoon (especially with those pictures of those funny-looking guys, one with long hair and one with a bump on his head) ... well ... what she told me made sense out of everything I'd seen up to that point in my short young life. My refuge? That quiet place you find in meditation, the one you can slip into your back pocket and carry around with you, even though it's hard to hang onto because it's slippery like wet soap.

And the only condemnation of my lifestyle is that it has been utterly boring and conventional. School, graduation, university, graduation, work, marriage, work, motherhood, raise kids, more school, back to work, divorce, more work ... yawwwwwn. But INSIDE ... oh how the dharma dances! Everything else pales beside it.

Why am I here?
    Do you mean "here", as in the website? Who knows?
    Do you mean "here", as in general? Because I am not enlightened.

Hi FoibleFull :wavey:.

I can relate well to all that you have so eloquently described in your post.

My learnings from my mother have also been instrumental in my interest in the teachings of Buddhism - in different ways, yet it shows how important and influential being a mother really is.

My life could also be sumed up using similar external milestones to describe my experience, in different order and number of occurences ... so pleased only one divorce after getting close a second time.

Agree the internal environment is where all the important and more interesting stuff happens,

warmest wishes
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    edited October 2010

What is your refuge?

Is that why you're here?

-bf
    I was one of those "religion is dead and useless" people because I saw science as supreme and Christianity as irrelevant. It took Buddhism to make me see how wrong I was. I have much more respect for Christianity now, as a Buddhist, than I ever had and are very happy when I see people receive true solace from their religion. But Christianity gave me no bad experiences.

My refuge is the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha.

I'm not here for any reason.

Cheers, WK
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    The original point, however, was that there have been no wars to spread the Buddhist religion, as there have been for just about every other religion.

Though I do believe that the spread of Buddhism was great enhanced during the Kingdom of Ashoka. Though history seems to indicate that his blood thirstiness stopped when he became Buddhist. Also what about the Mongolian Khans? I don't know much about them, but from what I recollect, they still invaded and plundered at the same time as being Buddhist. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

Cheers, WK
  • edited October 2010
    Born, baptized, and raised Roman Catholic, as most Filipinos are (that's where I'm from, The Philippines). I was brainwashed to accept the "fact" that Roman Catholicism as the way, the truth, the gospel -- everything else was wrong and was the devil's way. I was expected to attend every single Sunday mass, First-Friday mass, midnight mass (on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve), and recite the Catholic rosary in its entirety every day; bad enough I had to attend morning masses from kindergarten to high school! Catechism ruled my academic life. My experiences growing up in an extremely Catholic-oriented culture in the Philippines brought nothing but conflict to me mentally, psychologically, and emotionally. I was accused of being a "Satanist" by teachers and classmates for reading material that dealt with the occult, gnostics, mysticism, and Eastern philosophy. I was bullied for reading J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings by the mere fact that it had elves (pointy ears) and dragons (the Devil's pets). Needless to say I was traumatized. I've had fanatical Aunts and Uncles who endlessly preach during family reunions.

When I came to America in my mid-teens I abandoned the Roman CRAP-olic church. Finally, I was in a culture where church and state were separated. I was under no peer pressure whatsoever to "accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior." I can play Dungeons & Dragons and didn't have to fear any scrutiny from the maniacal Opus Dei followers.

I further pursued my interest in Wicca, Illumnati, science fiction, fantasy ... anything and everything that was taught by the Crap-olics as "blasphemy."

9/11 happened. I was one of the survivors from the towers. I was traumatized. I was a dislocated worker and could find no job. A year before that, my mother died from cancer. Religious relatives and friends started taunting me that "god" is punishing me for turning my back on him. I found no comfort whatsoever when they invited me to their prayer sessions. It made me sick.

During my relief process (with FEMA, Red Cross, volunteer religious groups) from the terrorist attacks weeks after, I "met" a Zen priest. Something drew me to his extremely peaceful demeanor--he was in contrast to my anger and hurt. He was one of the volunteer religious counselors. He stood out from the counseling tent of religious volunteers alongside a Jewish rabbi, a Catholic priest, a Protestant minister, etc. He was calm and serene. I felt at peace simply seeing his peacefulness. I didn't go to him. His calmness rubbed off on me. There was no need to talk to him. The image of a peaceful person amidst the tragedy that I went through was enough to touch my heart.

Amidst the horrors I've been through, I wanted something to believe in. I wanted to believe in peace...if there was such a thing in spite of what I've been through.

About two years later, I wanted to pursue Buddhism. First book I've read was Steve Hagen's Buddhism: Plain & Simple. It changed my life. I thought it was the COOLEST book EVER! Then, along the way, I was fascinated with Tibetan Buddhism. I guess it was the other-worldly thangka's that I've come across my novice readings. The deities looked so peaceful ... even the wrathful ones. I MUST know more!

I searched all over NYC for a Tibetan dharma center. I then found one: there I met my teacher, Khyongla Rato Rinpoche! I found the three jewels . . . finally!

Seven years later (talk about Seven years "in" Tibet!), I took my tantric vows and found refuge in practicing Yamantaka.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I'm a Buddhist because that is what I am. I identify with its teachings more so than any other religion.
  • edited October 2010
    I'm a Buddhist by birth and a failed career experience makes me practice Buddhism seriously. :-)
  • edited October 2010
    Buddhism is the only religion that makes sense to me. I wasn't raised in any religion, but I've gone to church with Christians I knew on a few occasions. I have no problem with people who follow Christianity or any other religion as long as they don't try to convert me and aren't just using their religion as an excuse to be intolerant or to do things they know are wrong thinking they can just confess and be forgiven. Even if I don't agree with a certain religion doesn't mean I should go around condemning people who believe in it, no matter how ridiculous I may find it to be.
  • edited October 2010
    I laugh at Christianity when people try to force it upon me. The way I see it, in both a logical way and a "blunt" way I guess you could call it. "God created man in his own image" If we are created in his own image, then god is no better than an average human, so I'll believe in myself thanks.

Why believe in a god who is imperfect, I am just as imperfect, so I'll not substitute myself for some external unknown thing.

I don't really follow or believe in anything strictly, But Buddhism is the only "Religion" I follow any part of for a better way of life, and to help others. Simply because it doesn't force "God" down my throat.

I also love the fact Buddhism and Science co-exist peacefull and can combine perfectly to obtain new perspectives of looking at things.

One author I love to read is Deepak Chopra, fantastic reads.